Author Topic: Premature in season speculation about next year's roster  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

By next year sometime we’ll have:

SP
1. Cavalli
2. Gore
3. Gray

BP
Finnegan, Rainey, ferrer, Cronin, Bryzcky, Harvey

C Ruiz
SS Abrams
2B Garcia
LF Thomas
RF Meneses
1B Voit

Vargas, adams/Barerra on the bench

Team *starting* to come together

That's 2/3 of what might be the worst starting outfield in MLB in the last 30 years or so.  Until proved otherwise, Meneses is not Morse; he's Yadiel from the other side of the plate.  You just can't assume a dude who bursts onto the scene past 30 is going to be more than a role player. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
That's 2/3 of what might be the worst starting outfield in MLB in the last 30 years or so.  Until proved otherwise, Meneses is not Morse; he's Yadiel from the other side of the plate.  You just can't assume a dude who bursts onto the scene past 30 is going to be more than a role player. 
I mean, Robles is a lock to be a CFer.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I mean, Robles is a lock to be a CFer.

I'm assuming nothing.  This is ZDK.  He might be planning to stitch Andrew Stevenson's head onto Trea Turner's body (and vice versa) and play Trea Stevenson in CF as a platoon with Andrew Turner.

Offline Slateman

I'm assuming nothing.  This is ZDK.  He might be planning to stitch Andrew Stevenson's head onto Trea Turner's body (and vice versa) and play Trea Stevenson in CF as a platoon with Andrew Turner.
Robles and Stevenson are interchangeable at this point. Stevenson will probably hit marginally better. Robles plays good defense but makes dumb decisions.

But yea, that outfield is yikes, particularly if Menses cant hit.

Offline Section214

That's 2/3 of what might be the worst starting outfield in MLB in the last 30 years or so.

This made me chuckle, and unfortunately it's absolutely spot on. Thomas has been serviceable and if Meneses can keep this up for five more weeks, we can consider those two potential roster players. But if we go into next year with those two in sharpie as every day guys, it's going to be another longgg year.

I also don't think I can sit through 150 games of Luke Voit at 1B...

Offline Section214

^^ That's not to say it isn't realistic or even understandable if that is our every day lineup next year, but that's a 60 win team. I'd prefer that to blowing $75m in FA to try to compete next year and end up with a 70 win team.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
^^ That's not to say it isn't realistic or even understandable if that is our every day lineup next year, but that's a 60 win team. I'd prefer that to blowing $75m in FA to try to compete next year and end up with a 70 win team.
I'm with you.  I think folks underestimate the psyche value of getting back to 70 win level after 2020-22.  If this is 2009, then I'd like to see an improvement to 2010/2011 levels. Just no more ring of honors for the next Pudge or Werth.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I also don't think I can sit through 150 games of Luke Voit at 1B...
No Cruz means Voit to DH. Meneses or a warm body at 1B. Combine that with Garcia and Abrams up the middle, probably Vargas at 3B. Not Robles in CF. (My prediction) a $10-15 million AAV acquisition in one corner, a combination of Lane Thomas and Alex Call in the other.

That's not a good major league fielding lineup. Still, it has potential to be significantly better than this season's crap show.

Even a half hearted focus on defense and base running quality could make a positive difference in wins next season.

Offline Section214

No Cruz means Voit to DH. Meneses or a warm body at 1B. Combine that with Garcia and Abrams up the middle, probably Vargas at 3B. Not Robles in CF. (My prediction) a $10-15 million AAV acquisition in one corner, a combination of Lane Thomas and Alex Call in the other.

That's not a good major league fielding lineup. Still, it has potential to be significantly better than this season's crap show.

Even a half hearted focus on defense and base running quality could make a positive difference in wins next season.

Yeah this is exactly how I see it, except I think penciling in 31 year old Idelmaro Vargas is a bit premature after 21 decent games this year..

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
Vargas and Kieboom probably battle with some sort of reclamation project for 3B next year. Maybe Alu gets an invite to camp as well.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Yeah this is exactly how I see it, except I think penciling in 31 year old Idelmaro Vargas is a bit premature after 21 decent games this year..
If not Vargas or Kieboom, you can get a decent placeholder for around $5 million. Cesar Hernandez just has been a worst case scenario, same as Cruz.

Best gift the Nationals could give all these young pitchers is a defense that will not help the offense. As bad as our pitchers have been this season, the MLB-worst defenses made matter much, much worse.

Offline Section214

If not Vargas or Kieboom, you can get a decent placeholder for around $5 million. Cesar Hernandez just has been a worst case scenario, same as Cruz.

Best gift the Nationals could give all these young pitchers is a defense that will won't help the offense. As bad as our pitchers have been this season, the MLB-worst defenses made matter much, much worse.

Agreed. Cesar made perfect sense and just didn't work out. A good, veteran, placeholder defensive 3B for a short contract would be fine with me.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
Agreed. Cesar made perfect sense and just didn't work out. A good, veteran, placeholder defensive 3B for a short contract would be fine with me.

Jace Peterson should be pretty cheap, roughly a league-average fielder.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It certainly is given that he's not stinking it up in AA.  I also would not leave him unprotected for the minor league phase (so he'd need to be on the AAA roster), and that action of course makes him even more enticing as a major league Rule 5.  But I doubt this becomes an issue: I think they're trying to figure out what to do with Adams vs. Barrera and only one of them will stay. 

Alternatively or as part of that, I could see one of those rare prospect/fringe-for-prospect/fringe deals with an organization that has a surplus someplace but lacks catchers.   But the Nats aren't the only organization that'll be looking to move catchers off the back end of their 40-man - Tampa Bay has the same issue, for example.  Actually, Tampa Bay has an interesting 40-man crunch, but I'm not sure the Nats have the mid-grade prospects who don't need to be added yet to exploit that via trade. 
So they added and called up Pineda when they IL'd Ruiz and cut McGee.  3 backups for 1 or maybe 2 slots on the 40 man.  Sounds like a reality TV show. It'll be fun to watch the time split. 

Offline Natsinpwc

You have to pay for this but an early breakdown of free agents by tier.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34585322/jeff-passan-early-2022-23-mlb-free-agency-tiers

Here is Tier 5; some interesting names that might not be too expensive or retire a long deal.

"Here are some I'll be watching closely: 1B Brandon Belt, RHRP Chad Green, LHRP Brad Hand, 3B Evan Longoria, UT Jace Peterson, RHRP Robert Suarez, 2B Kolten Wong.

And the rest in alphabetical order.

Hitters: 1B Jesus Aguilar, 1B Charlie Blackmon, DH Nelson Cruz, UT Aledmys Diaz, OF Adam Duvall, 1B Yuli Gurriel, UT Josh Harrison, SS José Iglesias, CF Kevin Kiermaier, C Martin Maldonado, OF Andrew McCutchen, 1B/OF Wil Myers, OF David Peralta, OF A.J. Pollock, C Gary Sanchez, 1B Miguel Sanó, 1B Carlos Santana.

Pitchers: LHSP Matt Boyd, LHRP Zack Britton, RHSP Dylan Bundy, RHRP Carlos Estevez, RHSP Zack Greinke, RHRP Luke Jackson, RHRP Craig Kimbrel, RHRP Corey Knebel, RHP Michael Lorenzen, LHSP Wade Miley, RHRP Chris Martin, RHRP Wily Peralta, RHRP David Phelps, RHSP Michael Pineda, LHP David Price, LHSP Drew Smyly, RHRP Craig Stammen, RHRP Trevor Williams."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If they decide to play for a position player, a corner OF might be a nice. I'd love Duvall, who could play center too. Dunno if he'll be healthy

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Also worth checking out arbitration candidates for a Josh Bell type trade.

If a franchise is willing to take on payroll, there will always be someone selling quality players. That's how the Nats in the 2010's always had an easy time plugging holes.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
Will Myers would make sense, bring the Souza trade full-circle and get us another Padre.

Offline Natsinpwc

If they decide to play for a position player, a corner OF might be a nice. I'd love Duvall, who could play center too. Dunno if he'll be healthy
Wrist injury.  Don’t know?  Also did not hit that well this year when he played. So may be cheap.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Wrist injury.  Don’t know?  Also did not hit that well this year when he played. So may be cheap.
torn tendon sheath.  I don't know if that repairs well or it is longer term power sapping. 

Offline Natsinpwc

torn tendon sheath.  I don't know if that repairs well or it is longer term power sapping.
Don’t know about those either.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

It repairs okay but it's often an indicator of a guy who's falling apart physically.  It's an injury that happens to only to people like Nick Johnson and Aaron Hicks (who both had it) and broken-down hulks like late-career Teixeira. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It repairs okay but it's often an indicator of a guy who's falling apart physically.  It's an injury that happens to only to people like Nick Johnson and Aaron Hicks (who both had it) and broken-down hulks like late-career Teixeira. 
I would like to see the Nats bring in a few transitional players just to make the season more palatable both from a fans perspective and I think the team.  Plus, you can hope he is more like Schwarber or 2021 Duvall than 2022 Boomstick.  I'm not saying break the bank, but a $5-8MM range would be a decent bet.

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
Add a solid-hitting OF and a respectable starter, and the 2023 team could win close to 80 games. That would make for an interesting season. After all, we go to a game hoping that the Nats will win.

This 2022 team, after the Soto trade, has shown some solid players. My guess is:

- Thomas in CF or a corner

- Hitter to be found for the other corner OF

- Maybe a mob of 4th and 5th outfielders

- Joey at 1B or RF

- Voit at 1B and DH

- Luis G at 2B

- Abrams at SS

- Vargas at 3B, with Alu the 3B-in-waiting.

- Ruiz and another of the young catchers. Maybe Adams, who could sometimes DH

- Kieboom is released, or goes back to Rochester to play utility INF and to learn to hit

- Robles as defensive OF. Maybe Call and Robles as 4th and 5th OFs. If Robles could just hit a little and could stop improvising the base-running "surprise" plays that only work if the defenders are asleep.

- A mediocre but dependable MLB starting pitcher

- The young starters, Gray and Cavalli and Gore, plus Corbin. Sign Joe Ross to a minor league contract with add-on if he makes the big team.

- Drop Cishek. The rest of the bullpen is respectable.

Offline Slateman

:lmao: Kieboom being released for Vargas

Dude is going to get a ton of playing time if he's healthy. He's hit at every other level and was a first rounder. If Garcia deserves after a season+ of negative WAR, then there is no reason to not let Kieboom start.