Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Trey Lipscomb, 3B  (Read 6860 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Trey Lipscomb, 3B
« Reply #50: March 11, 2024, 04:31:49 PM »
Infield? Outfield? The Nationals’ Trey Lipscomb will play anywhere.

Golden:

Lipscomb’s versatility was molded in college at Tennessee, but that wasn’t necessarily the plan. Tony Vitello took over as the Volunteers’ coach in 2017. As he built his first recruiting class, his plan was to target good athletes who had the potential to develop into strong players. Lipscomb fit the bill as a multisport athlete who had room to grow.
Despite his impressive skill set, Lipscomb had a tough time cracking the lineup. There was competition for playing time, and Vitello thought Lipscomb needed to improve his mental approach. The coaching staff still tried to find ways to get him into games as an outfielder and even a catcher, but Lipscomb got just 69 at-bats in his first three seasons.
Lipscomb went on to put together one of the best seasons in Tennessee history: He led the team in hits (89), RBI (84) and home runs (22), becoming the first Volunteer to hit more than 20 in over a decade.

Offline Mattionals

Offline blue911

« Reply #52: March 12, 2024, 06:56:40 AM »
He's my favorite under the radar prospect. I know I'm not alone.

Local kid, what’s not to like.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: March 12, 2024, 08:28:51 AM »
I forget a bit, but they had a couple of years in a row when they went after seniors who had terrific final years. It was Lipscomb, but who was the other one? Schoff was undrafted and has a shot at the bullpen. To be fair to the development and scouting team, they probably deserve a tip of the cap for this.

Was Lipscomb signed under slot as a senior? A case where LAC meets intelligent drafting.

Offline RD

« Reply #54: March 12, 2024, 10:01:24 AM »
I forget a bit, but they had a couple of years in a row when they went after seniors who had terrific final years. It was Lipscomb, but who was the other one? Schoff was undrafted and has a shot at the bullpen. To be fair to the development and scouting team, they probably deserve a tip of the cap for this.

Was Lipscomb signed under slot as a senior? A case where LAC meets intelligent drafting.

Lipscomb received full slot.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: March 12, 2024, 10:33:18 AM »
Lipscomb received full slot.
that's terrific for a senior drafted in the 3rd round. Nicely done.

Guy I might be thinking about is Will Frizzell from the 2021 draft. 8th round. He had a nice 2022 at F-burg, but failed when they tried too aggressive an assignment and jumped him to AA in 2023. Hit well in A+, and will get another shot at AA this year having just turned 25.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: March 16, 2024, 07:18:18 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/trey-lipscomb-impressing-nationals-with-speed-offense

Ladson on Lipscomb:

Lipscomb’s defense has always been his calling card ever since he was selected in the third round of the 2022 MLB Draft out of the University of Tennessee. Last year, in fact, he won a Minor League Gold Glove at third base. But the Nationals see him playing all over the place. He can play all four infield positions and both corner outfield spots.

“Man, the amazing thing is, he can play the middle of the field -- second base and shortstop,” Martinez said. “He has looked really good at second base -- turning double plays, staying in there and making some good decisions. But he also looked real good at short. If I need a backup shortstop for CJ Abrams, he could fit the bill. Obviously, we have [Ildemaro] Vargas. He could be another guy who could play short.”

Says his strong offense so far has been more impressive than his D.
“He stays in the middle of the field,” Martinez said. “You haven’t seen the power that he has. … I’ve seen him take batting practice. This guy smashes the ball to center field. That’s awesome. He doesn’t try to do a whole lot.”

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #57: March 17, 2024, 07:05:17 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/trey-lipscomb-impressing-nationals-with-speed-offense

Ladson on Lipscomb:

Says his strong offense so far has been more impressive than his D.
I guess he will be starting in AAA and inevitably when Garcia flubs up, he gets the first call.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #58: March 19, 2024, 11:55:39 AM »
Zuck from his Q&A today:
For all the attention thrust upon James Wood, Dylan Crews and Brady House at the start of camp, the prospect who has opened the most eyes has been Lipscomb. The Nats love him, absolutely love him. And I believe there's a real sense in the organization he's going to end up in the MLB starting lineup sooner rather than later, whether at second base or third base. I don't think it's going to happen Opening Day. Lipscomb has yet to play Triple-A, and I sense the club is going to give Luis Garcia Jr. and (even more so) Nick Senzel ample opportunity to perform well before replacing them. But if Lipscomb gets off to a strong start in Rochester and Garcia (in particular) struggles in D.C., that's a move that could be made relatively quickly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59: March 19, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »
Zuck from his Q&A today:
I could see him up way before Crews and Wood. he's a bit older, can play positions of need, and there's less of an incentive to manage his clock. He's not winning RotY, so there's no incentive to keep him RotY eligible after he gets far enough into the year that he doesn't get credit for a full-season's service time in 2024. I could see him up in a number of scenarios:

1) Garcia bombs
2) Senzel bombs,
3) No one takes over left field (Senzel moves back to left)
4) Robles bombs (Senzel or Thomas to CF, Lipscomb to 3rd)
5) they give up on Nunez or make a deal with the Marlins to keep him in the organization and send him down.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #60: March 19, 2024, 05:26:03 PM »
I could see him up way before Crews and Wood. he's a bit older, can play positions of need, and there's less of an incentive to manage his clock. He's not winning RotY, so there's no incentive to keep him RotY eligible after he gets far enough into the year that he doesn't get credit for a full-season's service time in 2024. I could see him up in a number of scenarios:

1) Garcia bombs
2) Senzel bombs,
3) No one takes over left field (Senzel moves back to left)
4) Robles bombs (Senzel or Thomas to CF, Lipscomb to 3rd)
5) they give up on Nunez or make a deal with the Marlins to keep him in the organization and send him down.
I feel like 1 and 2 are destined to happen. I also have ZERO confidence in Gallo. If I made the OD roster, it would look like this:
1B - Meneses2B - Garcia (on the world's shortest leash)SS - Abrams3B - LipscombLF - CallCF - Robles (on the same leash as Garcia)RF - ThomasDH - Winker
Bench - Vargas, Nunez, Adams, Rosario, Young
I think we know the Starting Five, and Williams moves to the pen.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #61: March 27, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »
2023 / 2024 Spring Training Recap

Team rank: 16
Current level: AAA

2023 (2 levels): .272/.311/.419 .730 OPS, 14 HR, 10 SB (547 PA)
2023 AFL: .205/.214/.265 .479 OPS, 1 HR, 1 SB (84 PA)
2023 position (games played): 97 3B, 20 1B, 16 SS, 10 2B

2024 Spring Training: .400/.455/.540 .995 OPS, 1 HR, 1 SB (55 PA)

Online imref

« Reply #62: March 29, 2024, 12:01:35 AM »
Welcome to the show Trey!

Online imref

« Reply #63: April 15, 2024, 06:38:34 PM »
Welcome back to Rochester Trey!

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #64: April 15, 2024, 06:45:34 PM »
Welcome back to Rochester Trey!

He will be back!!

Offline aspenbubba

Re: 2024 Transactions
« Reply #65: April 15, 2024, 08:05:51 PM »
they need to play Senzel and see if they have anything in him, or if they can flip him. Lipscomb does not need to be up at this point.

Hopefully the real problem occurs when House forces his way to Rochester.
Lip can play 2B if that occurs or even 1B

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: 2024 Transactions
« Reply #66: April 15, 2024, 08:27:45 PM »
I like his D. His future is as a utility guy. He could start if he has a .720 ops.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: April 15, 2024, 09:58:31 PM »
I like his D. His future is as a utility guy. He could start if he has a .720 ops.
Seems at best a utility guy which is fine.  Everyone needs those.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #68: April 15, 2024, 10:32:22 PM »
To recap:

55 PA in 14 games (same number of PAs as in spring training, though obviously against a different caliber of competition).

.224/.278/.286 for a .563 OPS. 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 SB. The HR was the sole extra base hit, hence the low slugging average.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #69: April 16, 2024, 09:11:20 AM »
Not great for his ROY watch thread :smh:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: April 16, 2024, 09:14:53 AM »
Seems at best a utility guy which is fine.  Everyone needs those.
I view sending him down as giving him a chance to prove he's more. He'll play every day against decent pitching and be sort of a Tony Phillips / Ben Zobrist super utility at Rochester. I think he can be more than the next Adrian Sanchez or Ildy Vargas.

Online imref

« Reply #71: April 16, 2024, 09:15:46 AM »
Lip can play 2B if that occurs or even 1B
Baker has 2B locked down.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: April 16, 2024, 09:22:14 AM »
Baker has 2B locked down.
tbh, Baker needs to add another position, like LF, to make him more useful. he can't take over 2d as the short side of a platoon or as a primary guy.

Online imref

« Reply #73: April 16, 2024, 09:24:32 AM »
tbh, Baker needs to add another position, like LF, to make him more useful. he can't take over 2d as the short side of a platoon or as a primary guy.
he played 33 games at LF last year, and 1 at CF, but he's primarily a 2B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74: April 16, 2024, 09:25:31 AM »
he played 33 games at LF last year, and 1 at CF, but he's primarily a 2B.
yes. What I think may happen is he'll play left when Lipscomb plays 2d.