Author Topic: Joey Meneses - follow a major leaguer  (Read 5197 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Joey Meneses - follow a major leaguer
« Topic Start: August 03, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
Keith H. called him "The Mets' Nemesis" after his home run last night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
What happens to him now with Voit joining the team?  Might be a useful bat off the bench.

Offline Mattionals

What happens to him now with Voit joining the team?  Might be a useful bat off the bench.

At this point, I want ownership to just cut Nelson Cruz, Cesar Hernandez, Maikel Franco, and Alcides Escobar. All the callups are in the same boat, AAAA players. Might as well see if any of these guys can stick a bit. Might get another Yadi out of it.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Clint Robinson v2.0

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He's a baby Yadiel but righty.  Platoon him?  DH him instead of Cruz, who is now past any utility?

Offline van lingle mungo

He's a baby Yadiel but righty.  Platoon him?  DH him instead of Cruz, who is now past any utility?

You gotta love this guy. Cranks one out in his first big league game after spending an eternity in the minors. He wound up in Japan not long ago too. Handled the home run trot and the dugout greeting like a boss - acted like hey, no big deal. I've seen him play quite a bit and he's looked solid in AAA. Has a nice swing, decent glove too. As a fan of the underdog, I hope he sticks. As for where to play him, Voit can DH, Meneses can play first and he's also had outfield time in the minors. And Cruz can finish his career as our bopper off the bench. That should give him ample time to count the $15M that got pissed away on him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
You gotta love this guy. Cranks one out in his first big league game after spending an eternity in the minors. He wound up in Japan not long ago too. Handled the home run trot and the dugout greeting like a boss - acted like hey, no big deal. I've seen him play quite a bit and he's looked solid in AAA. Has a nice swing, decent glove too. As a fan of the underdog, I hope he sticks. As for where to play him, Voit can DH, Meneses can play first and he's also had outfield time in the minors. And Cruz can finish his career as our bopper off the bench. That should give him ample time to count the $15M that got pissed away on him.

That all makes sense to me.  Though the Nats made this roster move today:  "Washington Nationals reassigned 1B Luke Voit to the minor leagues."

Offline Mattionals

That all makes sense to me.  Though the Nats made this roster move today:  "Washington Nationals reassigned 1B Luke Voit to the minor leagues."

I think all the trades that happened yesterday are showing up as players added to the minors.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yeah, good piece of hitting, too.  Getting his hands inside that and going oppo on it while still getting enough on it to get 400 feet out of it was pretty impressive.  It's not like this organization is loaded with right-handed power hitters, so they may as well give him a couple months to show out.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I think all the trades that happened yesterday are showing up as players added to the minors.

Yeah but didn't we expect Voit to take over for Bell at 1st? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He's a guy who will be 34 or 35 by the time he makes more than MLB minimum in 2026.  Of course you give a long leash. Even if he's short side of a platoon DH/1B/LF, that's useful when you have another minimum wage guy in Yadiel taking the bulk of the ABs against righties.  Voit does appear to be his rival for playing time, but he's more expensive and less versatile in the field.  Cruz should go before either Meneses or Voit.

Offline UMDNats

This guy is going to hit like .110 the rest of the year.

Offline UMDNats

Yeah but didn't we expect Voit to take over for Bell at 1st? 

Yeah, he is once he actually arrives in town. He's "assigned to the minors" so he doesn't take a roster spot today.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Possible.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yeah, he is once he actually arrives in town. He's "assigned to the minors" so he doesn't take a roster spot today.

Gotcha, thanks.

Offline van lingle mungo

Very possible but who the hell else is there to get even halfway excited about at this stage of this raging dumpster fire? Go, Joey!

Offline van lingle mungo

Meneses 0-4 today, hit into 2 DP's.

Go, Joey!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Meneses 0-4 today, hit into 2 DP's.

Go, Joey!
When did we get Zimmerman back?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Stud.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Mr. Imref, shut down this thread!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
 Or move it to the Clubhouse so we can :az: over him there

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Joey Meneses - follow a major leaguer
« Reply #21: August 10, 2022, 08:28:09 AM »
Mr. Imref, shut down this thread!
Or move it to the Clubhouse so we can :az: over him there
  Follow a major leaguer!

Give Slate some credit - Mikey Morse 2.0? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: August 10, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
In one week, Meneses is now tied for 3rd (with Voit) among current Nats position players in 2022 fWAR. 
https://www.fangraphs.com/teams/nationals
Only Ruiz is on track to be close to major league average for the season (compiled 1.3 fWAR so far with about 1/3 of the season left).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #23: August 10, 2022, 10:05:51 AM »
In one week, Meneses is now tied for 3rd (with Voit) among current Nats position players in 2022 fWAR. 
Only Ruiz is on track to be close to major league average for the season (compiled 1.3 fWAR so far with about 1/3 of the season left).
This makes me both happy and sad

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #24: August 10, 2022, 10:17:32 AM »

if you're going to blow it up, better blow it up good, real good....