Author Topic: Luke Voit  (Read 1420 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Luke Voit
« Topic Start: August 05, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Luke Voit
« Reply #1: August 05, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »
Pretty sure Davey Johnson approves.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #2: August 05, 2022, 11:11:57 PM »
Pretty sure Davey Johnson approves.
This is a fantastic decade old reference.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #3: August 06, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm sure Luke Voit was ecstatic when he learned where he would be headed. I mean who wouldn't be absolutely overjoyed to be able to leave a legit playoff contender that plays all of its home games in the most perfect weather in the country and go to a team that loses two out of every three games it plays (at best) and pant like a dog in the SE Washington humidity? Pretty harsh.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: August 06, 2022, 10:35:25 AM »
I'm sure Luke Voit was ecstatic when he learned where he would be headed. I mean who wouldn't be absolutely overjoyed to be able to leave a legit playoff contender that plays all of its home games in the most perfect weather in the country and go to a team that loses two out of every three games it plays (at best) and pant like a dog in the SE Washington humidity? Pretty harsh.
:hysterical:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: August 06, 2022, 10:36:11 AM »
Certainly now a Big Fish in a small pond.  A pond with a lot of fertilizer runoff and algae scum on top.  He's now the established veteran in a line up of less experienced and / or less talented players. It's a different role. 

It'll be interesting to see if they try to augment Voit, Garcia, Ruiz, Abrams, Yadi, and Robles with a few short term signings and field a competitive roster in 2023.  The idea that you field non-competitive teams the next two seasons while Ruiz and Abrams burn through their service time will kill their relevance to fans. 

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #6: August 06, 2022, 11:42:28 AM »
He's now the established veteran in a line up of less experienced and / or less talented players. It's a different role. 

Indeed. And he's hitting. 227. I have a hard time imagining him remaining a focal veteran presence for long unless he ratchets things up.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #7: August 06, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
Certainly now a Big Fish in a small pond.  A pond with a lot of fertilizer runoff and algae scum on top.  He's now the established veteran in a line up of less experienced and / or less talented players. It's a different role. 

It'll be interesting to see if they try to augment Voit, Garcia, Ruiz, Abrams, Yadi, and Robles with a few short term signings and field a competitive roster in 2023.  The idea that you field non-competitive teams the next two seasons while Ruiz and Abrams burn through their service time will kill their relevance to fans. 
We have discussions going on in other threads along those lines, but I hope they take a couple swings on midlevel free agents like they did back in 2010 and 2011. A bit worried that Nelson Cruz and Cesar Hernandez disasters may scare them off.

There is a happy middle ground between making stupid signings when you're not ready to compete and whatever it is that the Orioles did for years. I feel like the Nats found that happy medium in the 2010-2012 offseasons before things took off like a rocket. I just hope the new ownership doesn't come in convinced they have to have some "Process" where they see losing 110 games as a necessary short term move.

If they trade Luke Voit, that will be a warning sign that we're headed down that road.

Offline imref

« Reply #8: August 06, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »

Plus he figured Hosmer was gone

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: August 06, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Uh, Voit is 31. We should absolutely be looking to trade him at next year's deadline

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: August 06, 2022, 02:22:50 PM »
Uh, Voit is 31. We should absolutely be looking to trade him at next year's deadline
eh, I could see him being on the roster in 2024. I could also see him gone this winter. 

Offline Sirjesse

« Reply #11: August 06, 2022, 04:01:24 PM »
We need to pick up franmil Reyes. At least we could watch 60 bombs while they strike out 400 times together. Got to have something to watch the next few years while we wait on wood and hassell.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #12: August 06, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »
80 grade jaw line

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #13: August 06, 2022, 05:20:16 PM »
Plus he figured Hosmer was gone

Yeah, even got interviewed and talked about how happy he was to get Soto and add another big bat to the lineup. Meanwhile Hosmer's in the next room laughing at the notion of going to Washington. Then about 10 minutes later it's "Hey Luke, can you step in here real quick? Need to talk to.you about something."

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: August 06, 2022, 10:43:27 PM »
This dude freaks

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #15: August 06, 2022, 10:45:23 PM »
I don't play the fantasy stuff but I saw an article saying Voit would be a good pickup in fantasy because the other teams will be ahead late in games and bring in their worst relievers that Voit could take advantage of.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #16: August 06, 2022, 10:58:16 PM »
This dude freaks

I'd be doing a Chris Sale type demolition and then some. My God, can't help but feel bad for the guy.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #17: August 06, 2022, 11:03:57 PM »
I don't play the fantasy stuff but I saw an article saying Voit would be a good pickup in fantasy because the other teams will be ahead late in games and bring in their worst relievers that Voit could take advantage of.

Genius, brilliant!...I hope Voit never reads that article. It might make him consider suicide.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #18: August 07, 2022, 09:48:56 AM »

We're talking about a guy with all of 3 days of service time with the Nats. So if it turns out he's been bashing the ball come next July, we should trade him anyway because he'll be 32? Why, so we can replace him with another Luke Voit?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: August 07, 2022, 09:50:16 AM »
We're talking about a guy with all of 3 days of service time with the Nats. So if it turns out he's been bashing the ball come next July, we should trade him anyway because he'll be 32? Why, so we can replace him with another Luke Voit?
So we can get a piece that will be of value when the team competes again

Offline Section214

« Reply #20: August 07, 2022, 10:26:52 AM »
Popped in here to see people talking about Voit only to see it's a conversation about whether or not we trade him at next year's deadline.. Man, this rebuild is going to be brutal to talk through...

Offline imref

« Reply #21: August 07, 2022, 11:17:48 AM »
Popped in here to see people talking about Voit only to see it's a conversation about whether or not we trade him at next year's deadline.. Man, this rebuild is going to be brutal to talk through...

it was interesting being in Baltimore yesterday. Pretty much every jersey I saw fans wearing were for players who the Orioles traded at some point. Yet the Orioles are hopefully now where the Nats will be, a bunch of kids who have arrived and who have them fighting for a playoff spot (and Austin Voth of course).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: August 07, 2022, 12:34:06 PM »
it was interesting being in Baltimore yesterday. Pretty much every jersey I saw fans wearing were for players who the Orioles traded at some point. Yet the Orioles are hopefully now where the Nats will be, a bunch of kids who have arrived and who have them fighting for a playoff spot (and Austin Voth of course).
They’re overachieving. Unless they sign some free agents the next couple of years they won’t compete.

Offline Section214

« Reply #23: August 07, 2022, 01:25:16 PM »
They’re overachieving. Unless they sign some free agents the next couple of years they won’t compete.

I think their model is definitely the one to follow for our rebuild. They didn't overextend on any FA early on the way the Tigers did this past offseason with Baez and E. Rodriguez. The Orioles took their lumps with a bunch of young guys coming up while being forced to play Maikel Francos, Freddie Galvis's and Luke Voits of the world while they waited for the good guys to come.

The part of their ascendancy this year that is not talked about enough is that their bullpen is elite. That is something we can do while we wait for the 18 year olds to come up and it does seem like we have a lot of young guys who could be a part of a good bullpen starting next year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: August 07, 2022, 01:39:41 PM »
I think their model is definitely the one to follow for our rebuild. They didn't overextend on any FA early on the way the Tigers did this past offseason with Baez and E. Rodriguez. The Orioles took their lumps with a bunch of young guys coming up while being forced to play Maikel Francos, Freddie Galvis's and Luke Voits of the world while they waited for the good guys to come.

The part of their ascendancy this year that is not talked about enough is that their bullpen is elite. That is something we can do while we wait for the 18 year olds to come up and it does seem like we have a lot of young guys who could be a part of a good bullpen starting next year.
Agree. But there are lots of cases of teams that have a year or even two like that and then fall back. I was watching some of the Reds/Brewers yesterday and they were raving about the 3 young pitchers who have started about half their games. Greene has an ERA over 5. Ashcraft has one a little over 4. And the other dude I think was about 4.50. I am sure next year the Nats can trot out Gray and Cavalli and Gore and achieve those results. Patience needed with these young pitchers. Bullpens always seem to be hit or miss. I could see the Orioles having about the same pen next year with less results.