Author Topic: Nats Market, Budget - past and future (Strasburg 2022 breakout)  (Read 492 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Metro has looked like such a quagmire that I’m not even gonna speculate on that improving anytime soon, but it would seem to be worth it for stakeholders to work on that end of it as well. Perhaps another dedicated garage or two that could serve both the baseball team in the soccer team on the other side of South Capitol might be smart to explore. I know if I knew that they had such a lot that wasn’t a nightmare to get in and out of and had a somewhat reasonable rate, I likely would’ve been inclined to go to more games this year rather than let the logistics make it easier for me to go or see if others wanted to go with me. 
I'm fine with the metro subway to games. It drops off right at the stadium.

I am irritated by the bus situation. Buses are actually pretty convenient around DC if you take time to look them up, but it's like they never adjusted to the Navy Yard becoming a population center with multiple pro sport stadiums.

I don't know if Nationals Park isn't accessible as much as Cap One Arena is both ultra accessible and capacity is half of Nats Park.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
I’ve been looking at games this year where the team prices were bad enough, but the StubHub prices with the fees seemed absolutely absurd. People have had a couple years to do different stuff and change the pattern of just going to big events; keeping the prices at these levels does not appear to be sustainable.
Baseball fans are wealthy boomers taking their grandspawn to games so teams can charge an arm and a leg for stuff. Baseball is a luxury sport now.

Online HalfSmokes

Baseball fans are wealthy boomers taking their grandspawn to games so teams can charge an arm and a leg for stuff. Baseball is a luxury sport now.

I guess it sucks for the Lerners that Audi field is literally next door, has a better fan experience, and the grandspawn recognize the game being played

Offline Five Banners

I don't know if Nationals Park isn't accessible as much as Cap One Arena is both ultra accessible and capacity is half of Nats Park.

Going back to what was raised about the market for baseball here as far as it was correlated to consistent and causal drawing power, I have to think that things would suddenly look a lot better if the ballpark were at the RFK site or somewhere with similar accessibility.

I know many that given their comments and actions would’ve been inclined to go to a lot more games in that case, especially night games. The same seems likely had they gone on the Atlanta route at stuck the ballpark at Dulles. In a similar vein, I think the drawing power of the Rays would improve significantly were they to move to the Tampa sides of things, even more so if it was an easy in and out for those traveling from the east of there.

The more things to improve the casual fan going, the better. That’s especially with people who can’t or won’t deal with a number of logistical hurdles involved in getting there on a regular basis.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Any discussion of the market is a falsehood. Yes, the MASN deal sucks. The Padres are in the 23rd media market and were able to give out two 300 million dollar contracts, plus have Eric Hosmer on an albatross deal.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Any discussion of the market is a falsehood. Yes, the MASN deal sucks. The Padres are in the 23rd media market and were able to give out two 300 million dollar contracts, plus have Eric Hosmer on an albatross deal.

And they have four of their five starting pitchers becoming FAs this year or next and just traded their top starting pitching prospect. We'll see if they can afford to restock.

Offline Five Banners

And they have four of their five starting pitchers becoming FAs this year or next and just traded their top starting pitching prospect. We'll see if they can afford to restock.

I heard they’ve got someone with two years left on a deal they might be able to leverage for spare parts

Offline nfotiu

Forbes has the Padres of one of only a handful of teams running a significant deficit.    I guess market is irrelevant if you have owners that are good with losing significant money every year.    How are the Padres going to playout over the next few years?   Are the owners going to tire of losing money in a futile attempt to beat the Dodgers and then end up as a team paying 100 million to elderly players doing nothing?

The Lerners seemed to make it work within the market of spending up to the CBT for a competitive team.   The MASN situation does need to get resolved.   But there will be some league wide market corrections as RSNs start to circle the drain.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

I heard they’ve got someone with two years left on a deal they might be able to leverage for spare parts

I mean, my guess is there is no way Soto is on the Padres more than a 1.5 years. If they don’t win it this year and aren’t on track to contend for it next year he’s getting flipped to the Mets, Dodgers or Yankees. Also, if this doesn’t work out for the padres I have no idea how you could keep Preller around? I’m no fan of trading Soto but Preller just gutted their farm system.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Forbes has the Padres of one of only a handful of teams running a significant deficit.    I guess market is irrelevant if you have owners that are good with losing significant money every year.    How are the Padres going to playout over the next few years?   Are the owners going to tire of losing money in a futile attempt to beat the Dodgers and then end up as a team paying 100 million to elderly players doing nothing?

The Lerners seemed to make it work within the market of spending up to the CBT for a competitive team.   The MASN situation does need to get resolved.   But there will be some league wide market corrections as RSNs start to circle the drain.
MLB finalzed at least two separate deals for streaming in the last 2 years. Each team gets at least 60 million in TV money from this deal.

There is no freaking way any team is running a deficit at this point.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Is DC more transient than NYC or SF? Most major cities are transient now, especially if you're looking at the population that is buying suites and club level seats (i.e. the people teams want coming to games).

I was about to post the same thing. Washington is not so transient. Not everyone in DC is a senator or a member of the house. The Federal Government has always been the big employer, and most people are under Civil Service. Yes, kids grow up, go away to college like I did, and land someplace else, but kids in many places do the same. One of our kids lives in Brooklyn, the young people's paradise, but the other lives outside St. Louis. That's similar to what friends' kids did.

In the late '60s, my old Information Services division of GE moved from Phoenix to Rockville because there were more computer people around Washington than anyplace else. That talent led more computer / network companies to grow there. My second big employer had important centers in Virginia, so for most of 35 years I often traveled back "home" on business.

Losing the New Senators in 1971, yes, that was a killer. Even more since the expansion team never had money and always lost. The down-turn disaster, I think, was losing the Old Senators after 1960. That team had been Washington's since the founding of the AL, and it had just gotten strong again in 1959 and 1960. The core of the 1960 team went to the World Series in '65; the Nats had always been more popular than the Redskins, especially from 1955 onward, the period when George Preston Marshall pride himself on running an all-white team into so many losses that we, kids, began calling them "the Deadskins". The Griffith family would have owned DC.

(Big flip-over: in late Summer, 1971, Bob Short announced that he would take his Senators to "some jerkwater town with no more distinction than being halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth", as Shirley Povich put it. George Allen, the new Redskin coach, announced that the Skins would go to the playoffs to avenge the insult done to the Nation's Capital, the true "America's Team". Everybody thought Allen was crazy, but the Skins did it. It has taken little dan snyder more than twenty years to destroy the fan-base that Allen started)

Stadium location? I had not thought about it. When I go to a game, which usually means one weekend a season, I park at Shady Grove (Red Line) or Greenbelt (Green line). The Navy Yard Station is too small for game crowds, and that ought to be fixed. A worse problem is that Metro was built without express lines. Shea Stadium / CitiField is single that has a third track between the two local tracks, and that one is express on weekday evenings. The MTA lengthened the CitiField platform to handle large crowds. Metro should do the same.

While I'm at it, having a .500 record will draw fans. Who wants to pay to see the home team lose? The Caps marketed themselves that first and maybe second year by saying "When we win, it's magic!". That can't go on long. As in, "We lose two out of every three games...maybe you will be here for the win!"

Offline nfotiu

MLB finalzed at least two separate deals for streaming in the last 2 years. Each team gets at least 60 million in TV money from this deal.

There is no freaking way any team is running a deficit at this point.

What's your source for that?

The reports I saw listed that as more like $3 million per team per year.