Author Topic: Juan Soto, Padre  (Read 15797 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Juan Soto, Padre
« Reply #50: August 10, 2022, 12:00:08 PM »
https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-here-is-what-the-nationals-wanted-from-la-for-juan-soto/2022/08/09/

According to an OC Register reporter, the Nats wanted the Dodgers' top two prospects: Diego Cartaya and Bobby Miller, plus a top pitching prospect, plus 2-3 of the Dodgers top five remaining prospects, plus 2-3 'wild card' prospect.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #51: August 10, 2022, 12:18:42 PM »
Asking price was "ridiculous"

Or just pushing for market value.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: August 10, 2022, 12:39:37 PM »
https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-here-is-what-the-nationals-wanted-from-la-for-juan-soto/2022/08/09/

According to an OC Register reporter, the Nats wanted the Dodgers' top two prospects: Diego Cartaya and Bobby Miller, plus a top pitching prospect, plus 2-3 of the Dodgers top five remaining prospects, plus 2-3 'wild card' prospect.
But they did not get that haul from the Padres. So negotiations. GMs can ask what we they want. I just think the Dodgers are confident enough without Soto this year and probably don’t think they can sign him long term. 

Offline imref

« Reply #53: August 24, 2022, 06:45:13 PM »
Soto out with a back injury. Missed yesterday's loss to Cleveland and is missing today's likely loss (SD down 7-0 in the 7th)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #54: August 24, 2022, 07:27:29 PM »
Back issues, ops a more pedestrian 890ish.   He’s probably already down 30-40 million from the nats offer imkessbr has a big rebound in the next couple years.  I still like the guy but I have a little evil guy on my left should who is starting to snicker a bit.

Offline imref

« Reply #55: August 27, 2022, 12:04:37 AM »
Out again tonight but the Padres won. He is expected back tomorrow.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: August 27, 2022, 11:22:48 AM »
Bell is heating up.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #57: August 28, 2022, 06:13:27 PM »
Just watched as Josh Hader blew up in spectacular fashion versus KC.

Offline imref

« Reply #58: August 28, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
Just watched as Josh Hader blew up in spectacular fashion versus KC.

Best move the brewers made to help their playoff chances was trading hader to San Diego

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #59: August 28, 2022, 08:20:32 PM »
The Padres not making the playoffs would make me giddy. If somehow the Mets and Dodgers can not make the WS, the 2022 season would be an amazing success

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #60: August 28, 2022, 09:21:14 PM »
Pads miss the playoffs and Soto is getting traded to the Mets.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #61: August 28, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »
Pads miss the playoffs and Soto is getting traded to the Mets.
And? Soto didnt want to be in DC. Who cares where he goes.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #62: August 29, 2022, 08:01:41 AM »
? I care when any good player goes to a division rival, let alone an ex-Nat.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #63: August 29, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
The Padres not making the playoffs would make me giddy. If somehow the Mets and Dodgers can not make the WS, the 2022 season would be an amazing success

Would much rather have the Phillies and Braves miss than the Mets and Dodgers. At least the latter two have Scherzer and Turner.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #64: August 29, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »

Agree. I would also like to see the Phillies not make the playoffs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: August 29, 2022, 02:32:53 PM »
Would much rather have the Phillies and Braves miss than the Mets and Dodgers. At least the latter two have Scherzer and Turner.
Schwarber and Harper

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: August 29, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
Schwarber and Harper

I'll be happy if Harper retires having never won a ring

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #67: August 29, 2022, 09:47:04 PM »
I'll be happy if Harper retires having never won a ring

I agree with that but I've kinda softened a bit on Harper after reading his account of the negotiations he had with all teams when he was a free agent. I think if the Nats had offered Harper the same contract the Phillies did he would of come back to the Nats. Still, it wouldn't upset me either if he never gets a ring especially since I hate all Philadelphia teams because of their fans.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #68: August 30, 2022, 04:26:38 PM »
Schwarber and Harper

I don't hate Harper but I'd love to see him never win a ring. Schwarber is great too but he was only with us for half a season.

Offline imref

« Reply #69: September 01, 2022, 10:06:51 PM »
Last 15: .204 / .386 / .333, 2 home runs

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #70: September 02, 2022, 08:14:48 AM »
I don't get hating on Harper. He played really well for the Nationals for years, won an MVP here, and didn't badmouth the team or the fans on his way out. The Nationals didn't need to resign him because Soto had emerged and frankly did not have the money to resign him: they spent the money on assets that directly led to a World Series win. Meanwhile Harper got himself one of the largest FA deals of all time. It was a win-win situation. I understand hating anyone in a Phillies jersey, of course, but Harper should be the guy on the Phillies we hate the least not the guy we hate most.

I definitely don't get hating on Soto or cheering for him to do poorly. He won a World Series here and was the face of the franchise for years. He rejected a perfunctory extension that severely undervalued him and was designed to be rejected. Trading superstars is what rebuilding teams must do in this day and age and it looks like Soto will hit the FA market in a few years and the Nats could still make a run at him there.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #71: September 02, 2022, 09:46:54 AM »
I don't get hating on Harper. He played really well for the Nationals for years, won an MVP here, and didn't badmouth the team or the fans on his way out. The Nationals didn't need to resign him because Soto had emerged and frankly did not have the money to resign him: they spent the money on assets that directly led to a World Series win. Meanwhile Harper got himself one of the largest FA deals of all time. It was a win-win situation. I understand hating anyone in a Phillies jersey, of course, but Harper should be the guy on the Phillies we hate the least not the guy we hate most.

I definitely don't get hating on Soto or cheering for him to do poorly. He won a World Series here and was the face of the franchise for years. He rejected a perfunctory extension that severely undervalued him and was designed to be rejected. Trading superstars is what rebuilding teams must do in this day and age and it looks like Soto will hit the FA market in a few years and the Nats could still make a run at him there.

For Harper, there were the question marks about priorities and effort pre-contract. Also, there was when he arguably positioned himself to essentially stomp on the fanbase that supported him and which hadn’t seen a winner in the big four sports since 1992:

If you can’t figure out or don’t care that conspicuously wearing the colors of the team (that he might not even have seen live since they didn’t exist before that season) going against the local one in such a scenario figures to have a direct impact on your own fanbase, how do you expect such a fan base to react, especially after you walk out the door then to a rival?

Contrast that with how Max — who I’m guessing didn’t grow up a Caps fan — and Zim handled that, and how it was received by the fanbase. Anyone think Harper would do this if it comes to the first chance for the Flyers since the mid-70s to get it done — especially for a team that hadn’t even completed its first season? If not, can you see why this was one of the prominent issues with people not being thrilled with this guy going forward?

As far as Soto, the fanbase will always have the years that we had, including the postseason run. There’s bound to be some sourness and bitterness with the way things ended. I was not thrilled about hearing the reports that he acted like the entire situation was out of his hands. I was not thrilled to see two instances at the park where it looked like he was not bothering to go after pop-ups that appeared to be likely outs had he done so. Of course, this ownership will always have to share credit for all of the position players that waltzed out of the door.

I think it’s going to hit a particular segment of the youth hardest with Soto, especially those who wore his jersey and now have to follow his exploits elsewhere. Seems hard to build and maintain a fanbase with the way ownership has run this team many times.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #72: September 02, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
Lmao, priorities and effort? freaking really?

Oh and HE'S FROM freakING LAS VEGAS!!!!! Why the freak would he wear Caps gear when the Vegas Knights were in the Stanley Cup Finals

Honestly, anyone who is upset that a Las Vegas native was wearing Vegas Knights apparel at a Las Vegas Knights Stanley Cup game should bash their head into a brick wa until they drool.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #73: September 02, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »
I would never blame Bryce for being a Golden Knights guy, but that picture was so freaking funny.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #74: September 02, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »

Honestly, anyone who is upset that a Las Vegas native was wearing Vegas Knights apparel at a Las Vegas Knights Stanley Cup game should bash their head into a brick wa until they drool.

Original point seemed to do with why a fanbase wouldn’t be thrilled with somebody that bolted for a rival, and what was done seemed over the top to plenty, including me. It’s called reading the room — the room which was in Washington, not Las Vegas. It was a Caps home game, one in which they were hosting the Stanley Cup finals for the second time in their history. If you’re gonna have all this chatter about appreciating sports history and baseball history in particular IIRC and you want to position yourself as such, it doesn’t seem smart to then put yourself in a position to appear that apathetic or even antagonistic towards the crossover fan base of your team.

Again, the team whose jersey he instead on sporting conspicuously at a home Caps game didn’t exist prior to that season. The guy didn’t grow up going to Vegas games. People could’ve gotten it somewhat if it was a team he had followed long-term, but even then, you might not wanna be super-conspicuous about it if you care about the response and perspective of your current fanbase.

Let’s say in 2005, the Nats didn’t go 81-81 but made amazing trade deadline deals (e.g. Clemens and Pettitte for Vinny Castilla) and made it to the World Series. Let’s say some superstar on the Chicago Bulls was headed to free agency and showed up decked out in Nats gear to the White Sox World Series games, making sure that got on social media etc.. Basically, he’d be setting himself up to dance on the grave of a team that share the same base with his.

He’d be willing for a focus to be on himself sporting gear of a team he didn’t grow up with and possibly never saw a game of theirs, while much of the same fanbase was rooting for the first title since 1917. I don’t think that would’ve been well received by the media nor the fanbase, and it might’ve sprung to mind now and then if he then went to a rival like the Pistons.

This was after Harper had been part of teams that had some of the most historic playoff collapses in sports history. This was also at a point where some people were reportedly wondering how hard he was willing to push himself pre-contract in a year in which fans thought the window was likely closed were he to leave.

Meanwhile, this occurred while the fanbase was absolutely starved for a title yet had been enduring the historic playoff crashes of both the Caps and Nats, who seems so closely paralleled at the time. It seemed like a bad look added to everything else that was mounting from the perspective of the fanbase.

I barely think of Harper as it is, but when someone seemed to indicate they didn’t know why the Nationals fanbase might not be thrilled with him, this came to mind.