Author Topic: Juan Soto, Padre  (Read 15808 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Juan Soto, Padre
« Reply #25: August 07, 2022, 08:09:17 PM »
Soto commenting during tonights game (he's mic'd up):

“It was pretty tough… at the end of the day, it’s just a business… It was pretty sad at the beginning, but now I’m in a good spot and a good team and I got to enjoy it as much as I can.”

“Yeah, I heard all this stuff. That’s why it (drove) me crazy for the last week. Because I was knowing that I’m going, so that frustrated me a bit. At the end of the day, (the Nationals) did it and there’s nothing that I can do.”

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: August 07, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »
Watching him, Trea, Josh tonight.

I lean LAD because Mookie and Freddie, who ate pluses, while Machado is a big minus.

That said, I am hoping Bellinger can salvage things. He's looked good tonight.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: August 07, 2022, 09:35:40 PM »
Watching him, Trea, Josh tonight.

I lean LAD because Mookie and Freddie, who ate pluses, while Machado is a big minus.

That said, I am hoping Bellinger can salvage things. He's looked good tonight.
I think we just need to re-adjust expectations for Bellinger. He's more likely to be Kiermaier than an MVP

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: August 07, 2022, 09:40:11 PM »
Overpaid but capable of helping a team to win?

Online imref

« Reply #29: August 07, 2022, 10:41:14 PM »
Overpaid but capable of helping a team to win?

Swept by LA. So far the Padres plan isn’t working.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #30: August 07, 2022, 11:02:34 PM »
Swept by LA. So far the Padres plan isn’t working.

Nightmare of a young elite player heist

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: August 08, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
Nightmare of a young elite player heist
:lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: August 08, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »
.313   .476   .500   .976 after 5 games.  21 PA's, 5 walks, no homers.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #33: August 08, 2022, 11:59:34 PM »
.313   .476   .500   .976 after 5 games.  21 PA's, 5 walks, no homers.

Not a lot of winning, though.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: August 09, 2022, 12:26:53 AM »
Just made a great catch but went into the wall quite hard. Cue up the IL. Boras probably already called Preller.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: August 09, 2022, 07:25:27 AM »
1 for 4 and another loss.  Bell was 0 for 4 with two Ks. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #36: August 09, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
Gotta pull for them to make the playoffs and do well. Padres trading him this offseason to the Mets is my nightmare.

Online Slateman

« Reply #37: August 09, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
Gotta pull for them to make the playoffs and do well. Padres trading him this offseason to the Mets is my nightmare.
See, Im in the opposite boat. I want the Dodgers, Mets, and Padres to all lose. I wanna laugh as everything they do blows up in their faces.

Online imref

« Reply #38: August 09, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »
At some point he's going to start hitting, and the padres are going to start winning. They are in a good spot as even with this 5 game losing streak they are a game up on Milwaukee and SF is still another 5.5 games back. But their dream of catching LA for the division isn't looking so good right now (they trail by 16 games)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #39: August 09, 2022, 02:35:05 PM »
At some point he's going to start hitting, and the padres are going to start winning. They are in a good spot as even with this 5 game losing streak they are a game up on Milwaukee and SF is still another 5.5 games back. But their dream of catching LA for the division isn't looking so good right now (they trail by 16 games)
He's hitting ok.   .890 ops in his 5 games.   They don't seem to have the pitching to keep up.   They seem unlikely to get past the wild card round, and very unlikely to make it past the next round if they do.

Online imref

« Reply #40: August 09, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
He's hitting ok.   .890 ops in his 5 games.   They don't seem to have the pitching to keep up.   They seem unlikely to get past the wild card round, and very unlikely to make it past the next round if they do.

Yeah, but the Dodgers just lost Kershaw and who knows who else gets hurt. The Padres currently rank 4th in the NL in team ERA.  The Mets arguably have the best staff right now.

Interestingly, the Padres rank in the bottom half of most batting categories, assuming Soto gets hot, and with Tatis coming back, they should be in good shape.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: August 09, 2022, 02:50:07 PM »
Not scoring runs now. Shutout the past two games. Longer term the starting pitching is probably a bigger concern. But Snell looked good last night.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: August 09, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
Yeah, but the Dodgers just lost Kershaw and who knows who else gets hurt. The Padres currently rank 4th in the NL in team ERA.  The Mets arguably have the best staff right now.

Interestingly, the Padres rank in the bottom half of most batting categories, assuming Soto gets hot, and with Tatis coming back, they should be in good shape.
Dodgers have Buelher coming back soon I believe. Padres will likely be fine adding those two you mention and Bell. But there is lots of pressure on them now. I heard their announcers say the other day that Tatis was cool playing OF at least part time. We shall see.

Online Slateman

« Reply #43: August 09, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »
Dodgers have Buelher coming back soon I believe. Padres will likely be fine adding those two you mention and Bell. But there is lots of pressure on them now. I heard their announcers say the other day that Tatis was cool playing OF at least part time. We shall see.
Is Buehler going to be able to start? Im not so sure. He's playing catch now. Can they ramp him up in a month and a half. He could end up in the pen.

Neither deGrom nor Scherzer have histories of health. I could totally see one of them getting dinged up

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: August 09, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
Is Buehler going to be able to start? Im not so sure. He's playing catch now. Can they ramp him up in a month and a half. He could end up in the pen.

Neither deGrom nor Scherzer have histories of health. I could totally see one of them getting dinged up
Not sure. The younger pitchers seem to be doing fine a long with Tyler Anderson.

I think DeGrom’s arm will fall off. If not this year then next. 

I think every team that makes the playoffs in the NL will have at least 90 wins. So there are no pushovers. No one really expected Atlanta last year. It’s wide open.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #45: August 09, 2022, 03:23:10 PM »
No one really expected Atlanta last year. It’s wide open.

This, and it was the bats that seem to be the big difference maker. On the pitching side, things seem to be shaping into the Ken Beatrice take on the NFL as the league of attrition.

Online imref

« Reply #46: August 09, 2022, 05:10:06 PM »
Not scoring runs now. Shutout the past two games. Longer term the starting pitching is probably a bigger concern. But Snell looked good last night.

four of their five starters are FAs at the end of 2023 and they have nothing in the pipeline right now.

Online Slateman

« Reply #47: August 09, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »
Not sure. The younger pitchers seem to be doing fine a long with Tyler Anderson.

I think DeGrom’s arm will fall off. If not this year then next. 

I think every team that makes the playoffs in the NL will have at least 90 wins. So there are no pushovers. No one really expected Atlanta last year. It’s wide open.
Yea but the playoffs are a different beast.

Online imref

« Reply #48: August 09, 2022, 11:07:16 PM »
First Padre HR

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: August 09, 2022, 11:12:38 PM »
First Padre HR
He seems to be the only one hitting on his team.  That must bring back memories for him