Author Topic: Sunshine Squad 2022 - It Can Only Get Better (& it has)  (Read 3898 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: Sunshine Squad 2022 - It Can Only Get Better
« Reply #75: August 04, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
They have first shot at Didi. LOL.

Thought you'd be watching your favorite Young Boys, today.... ;)

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #76: August 04, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
Ideally for next season we'll have enough free agent pitching signed to pull out of last place, maybe not a wild card, but no longer a doormat.

I think what you're more likely to see presented is a starting rotation of Corbin, Gray, Gore, Fedde, and Cavalli. Any free agent signings they make (regardless of ownership at that time) will be of the garden variety Franco, Hernandez, etc. type. More placeholders until light starts to shine at the end of the tunnel,  which won't be til '24.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #77: August 04, 2022, 03:57:54 PM »
I think what you're more likely to see presented is a starting rotation of Corbin, Gray, Gore, Fedde, and Cavalli. Any free agent signings they make (regardless of ownership at that time) will be of the garden variety Franco, Hernandez, etc. type. More placeholders until light starts to shine at the end of the tunnel,  which won't be til '24.

You don't think that the new owner has to make a splash in order to get fans back into the ballpark? It would be nice to get a big shot free spender but at a minimum I think that the new guy will want to make his mark by getting the team out of the basement.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #78: August 04, 2022, 04:16:40 PM »
You don't think that the new owner has to make a splash in order to get fans back into the ballpark? It would be nice to get a big shot free spender but at a minimum I think that the new guy will want to make his mark by getting the team out of the basement.
I believe long term this franchise will be operated as a larger market. Not like LA, NY, or Boston, on the larger side.

But I am very nervous we could see a new owner completely mail in 2023. Which would suck for fans.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #79: August 04, 2022, 04:26:12 PM »
I want an owner willing to spend money and spend it smartly with a plan for long term success in mind.

An owner making a splash with some big FA signings could well backfire and hamstring us going forward.   So many free agents are at an age where they have only a couple peak/prime years left, where if we're not in a position to compete for those years, then we're just stuck paying 10s of millions to aging big names.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #80: August 04, 2022, 04:30:44 PM »
I want an owner willing to spend money and spend it smartly with a plan for long term success in mind.

An owner making a splash with some big FA signings could well backfire and hamstring us going forward.   So many free agents are at an age where they have only a couple peak/prime years left, where if we're not in a position to compete for those years, then we're just stuck paying 10s of millions to aging big names.

The Phillies say "hi"

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #81: August 04, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
Go after .500 in 2023. That will put faith back into the fans. A team does not have to win 95 games to get fans thinking, but, as I said in another thread, it kills people's interest to know that their team will lose two out of every three all season long.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #82: August 04, 2022, 04:46:34 PM »
For me to do anything close to following the team on a daily basis MLB needs to get it's collective head out of its ass with regards to streaming.  I cut the cord 3 years ago and am not ever going back.  MLB.tv price is laughable even if I had the option (which of course as a local, I don't).

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #83: August 04, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »

I am completely fine with signing a couple patchwork free agents next year. Nelson Cruz and Cesar Hernandez just both came out worst case scenario. If you look back at 2010 and 2011, there were a number of less expensive, cheap free agents brought in to stabilize positions. The teams weren't good, but it kept them from finishing with 100 losses again.

My dream scenario is the new owners are financially well off and would take on salary for prospects. Eat some bloated short term salaries and help with the farm system, which is suddenly very top heavy. But I realize my first scenario is more realistic.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #84: August 04, 2022, 04:56:59 PM »
For me to do anything close to following the team on a daily basis MLB needs to get it's collective head out of its ass with regards to streaming.  I cut the cord 3 years ago and am not ever going back.  MLB.tv price is laughable even if I had the option (which of course as a local, I don't).
I don't see the mlb.tv price as laughable.    It comes out to about 15/month for the full package or 12 for single team.   Granted, it is not a local option.

Bally's is offering a DTC streaming option for $19/month and NESN is $30.  I doubt those are getting picked up by many,

They're still collectively taking in billions from RSNs and just don't yet have the appetite to go to a cheap streaming model that won't come close to replacing that money.   

You're right though that they've created a situation where much of their target demo can't easily watch their games, which is a big long term problem in keeping fans interested.   They've had a couple decades where they made billions from RSNs whether anyone watched anyone watched or not, so I guess they don't care.   It will bite them though eventually.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #85: August 04, 2022, 04:58:35 PM »
I am completely fine with signing a couple patchwork free agents next year. Nelson Cruz and Cesar Hernandez just both came out worst case scenario. If you look back at 2010 and 2011, there were a number of less expensive, cheap free agents brought in to stabilize positions. The teams weren't good, but it kept them from finishing with 100 losses again.

My dream scenario is the new owners are financially well off and would take on salary for prospects. Eat some bloated short term salaries and help with the farm system, which is suddenly very top heavy. But I realize my first scenario is more realistic.
Yeah, some short term guys that aren't going to hurt them later on when they build up to a cap team again is fine.   I guess as long as they aren't blocking some young guys you want to be playing for developmental purposes.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #86: August 04, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »
Yeah, some short term guys that aren't going to hurt them later on when they build up to a cap team again is fine.   I guess as long as they aren't blocking some young guys you want to be playing for developmental purposes.

If the young guy is "blocked" it means they can't win the job away in competition. It mean Kieboom could not win SS from Trea or 3B from Rendon. There was no reason to give Kieboom 3B with no competition. In the second half of 2019, I noticed that Robles was not better than Michael A. In '21 and '22, Taylor has been much better.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/taylomi02.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roblevi01.shtml

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #87: August 04, 2022, 05:49:55 PM »
I don't see the mlb.tv price as laughable.    It comes out to about 15/month for the full package or 12 for single team.   Granted, it is not a local option.

Bally's is offering a DTC streaming option for $19/month and NESN is $30.  I doubt those are getting picked up by many,

They're still collectively taking in billions from RSNs and just don't yet have the appetite to go to a cheap streaming model that won't come close to replacing that money.   

You're right though that they've created a situation where much of their target demo can't easily watch their games, which is a big long term problem in keeping fans interested.   They've had a couple decades where they made billions from RSNs whether anyone watched anyone watched or not, so I guess they don't care.   It will bite them though eventually.

Those are better than I remember but still too much even if I could use them without investing in other products to circumvent the location restrictions.  I get that it's not their problem - I walked away - but as you say it's going to bite them at some point.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: August 04, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
Those are better than I remember but still too much even if I could use them without investing in other products to circumvent the location restrictions.  I get that it's not their problem - I walked away - but as you say it's going to bite them at some point.

It is their problem when they bleed young fans. Thinks about the families you know - how many have cable? For me the answer is almost none.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: August 04, 2022, 06:07:33 PM »
Thought you'd be watching your favorite Young Boys, today.... ;)
No Young Boys for me.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #90: August 04, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »
For me to  MLB.tv price is laughable even if I had the option (which of course as a local, I don't).

For $4/mo. you can get a VPN that will work you around the local blackout. I haven't tried it, never had one, so I can't vouch for their reliability. Also, although I'm technically blacked out where I am (Delaware Beach area) I tend to access quite a few home games anyway for some reason. I'm definitely no tech geek and am hard pressed to explain why that happens, other than maybe it's because I'm on the outer fringes of the blackout zone and my signal is pinging off a tower somewhere outside blackout range. I never know if I'm able to watch a home game until I actually try to tune it in.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #91: August 04, 2022, 07:14:07 PM »

I think it will take new ownership some time to establish how it wants to run the franchise and get its ducks in a row personnel wise and departmentally at every level of the operation. But sure, if they want to shell out for better pitching, a 3B, and a couple more bats like Bell then by all means go for it.if

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #92: August 04, 2022, 09:43:02 PM »

Yeah, this. If the product was good I would VPN but I’d rather watch other baseball or do something else.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #93: August 04, 2022, 09:48:22 PM »
A September lineup that looks like

Victor Robles, CF
Luis Garcia, 2B/3B
Yadiel Hernandez, LF
Luke Voit, DH
Keibert Ruiz, C
Riley Adams, 1B
Lane Thomas, RF
CJ Abrams, SS
Cesar Hernandez, 2B/3B

Is one I wouldn't mind watching. Sans Cesar H, all of them will be on the the team next season and you could see them eventually being at least bench players on a competent team.

Bonus points if Rizzo eats Cesar H money and brings up one of the Jake's or finds a change-of-scenery candidate on waivers who was cut due to 40 man issues.

Boy, you do look on the positive side.  That looks super atrocious to me. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #94: August 05, 2022, 10:49:24 AM »
Based on 1) a 2022 win total in the low 50s, 2) the 1st wave of young talent hitting the MLB roster, and 3) the need for the new owner to make a FA splash to sell tickets, I'm predicting a 32 win improvement in 2023, better than the 08 Rays. Put that in the Sunshine Squad thread header.

Second prediction, Soto will be asking Ian Desmond to hold his beer in the line of guys regretting turning down extensions from the Nats.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #95: August 05, 2022, 10:51:18 AM »
Boy, you do look on the positive side.  That looks super atrocious to me. 
That lineup on an opening day would hideous. For September in a lost season, it is fine.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #96: August 05, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
Based on 1) a 2022 win total in the low 50s, 2) the 1st wave of young talent hitting the MLB roster, and 3) the need for the new owner to make a FA splash to sell tickets, I'm predicting a 32 win improvement in 2023, better than the 08 Rays. Put that in the Sunshine Squad thread header.

Second prediction, Soto will be asking Ian Desmond to hold his beer in the line of guys regretting turning down extensions from the Nats.
PB69, you're the new King of the Sunshine Squad. A wildly optimistic take on point 1, but the bar is so low I could see how a new ownership giving Rizzo the slightest thumbs up to go after FAs could make his a reality.

And I do think there is a not zero chance that if Juan Soto plays himself to 1B/DH that his contract could be a mere mega contact, not historic. He isn't a bad athlete. If he gets focus in the field and on the basepaths and stays in the corner OF, he'll get the money he wants.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #97: August 05, 2022, 11:42:38 AM »
I wish Soto nothing but success.  It's Machado that I wish gags and costs them the playoffs. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #98: August 05, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
Looking toward the future:
https://www.talknats.com/2022/08/04/nationals-off-season-plan/

Assuming a budget of $135M, here's what he puts together for 2023:

Nats vs. RHP
SS C.J. Abrams (L)
LF Jurickson Profar (S)
2B Luis García (L)
RF Joc Pederson (L)
1B Luke Voit (R)
DH Yadiel Hernández (L)
C Keibert Ruiz (S)
CF Victor Robles (R)
3B Aledmys Díaz (R)

Nats vs. LHP
CF Victor Robles (R)
LF Jurickson Profar (S)
C Keibert Ruiz (S)
1B Luke Voit (R)
2B Luis García (L)
RF Lane Thomas (R)
DH Riley Adams (R)
3B Carter Kieboom (R)
SS C.J. Abrams (L)

Rotation
LHP Sean Manaea
RHP Cade Cavalli
LHP Mackenzie Gore
RHP Josiah Gray
RHP Erick Fedde

Bullpen
“A” Kyle Finnegan, Carl Edwards Jr., Hunter Harvey, Patrick Corbin?
“B” Mason Thompson, Andres Machado, Jordan Weems, Paolo Espino

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #99: August 05, 2022, 05:17:47 PM »
No Young Boys for me.

For the uninitiated, we're talking about a Swiss soccer club (Young Boys Bern) - although I daren't mention the name of their stadium... ;)