Author Topic: Sunshine Squad 2022 - It Can Only Get Better (& it has)  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Sunshine Squad 2022 - It Can Only Get Better
« Reply #75: August 04, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
I want an owner willing to spend money and spend it smartly with a plan for long term success in mind.

An owner making a splash with some big FA signings could well backfire and hamstring us going forward.   So many free agents are at an age where they have only a couple peak/prime years left, where if we're not in a position to compete for those years, then we're just stuck paying 10s of millions to aging big names.
I am completely fine with signing a couple patchwork free agents next year. Nelson Cruz and Cesar Hernandez just both came out worst case scenario. If you look back at 2010 and 2011, there were a number of less expensive, cheap free agents brought in to stabilize positions. The teams weren't good, but it kept them from finishing with 100 losses again.

My dream scenario is the new owners are financially well off and would take on salary for prospects. Eat some bloated short term salaries and help with the farm system, which is suddenly very top heavy. But I realize my first scenario is more realistic.