Author Topic: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon
« Reply #100: September 13, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »
Remembering Cecil Fielder and how the Tigers didn’t come into the picture until Victor Martinez went down, it’s after the season when changes in personnel and priorities occur. That in and of itself has the potential to create a market that might not have been visible at the trade deadline, and there’s a much bigger pool that could be involved.
I look forward to the leak a few years from now when we find out if the new owners during negotiations wanted Soto gone or not.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #101: September 13, 2022, 11:53:03 AM »
We'll go round and round on this, but if Rizzo was truly down on the talent in the NYY system, including their better shortstop prospect, then I don't see a better bidder in the off-season. 
What Im saying is there is no difference in what the Padres offered at the deadline versus what they offer in the offseason. In fact, we probably have more leverage, because we can say we're working on an extension, the Padres would likely be in a spiral after missing the playoffs, and Gore's injury would have been shown to be more severe than initially reported.

Meanwhile, other things may have changed and there are likely more bidders, with more time available to Rizzo to scout and analyze prospects.

Gore significantly modified his delivery after being unable to throw strikes at any level and losing his velo. He made it 70 innings with pretty meh metrics before inuring his elbow and missing almost two months. Thats a giant red flag. Nats are rushing this dude back and for the life of me, I dont understand why. ~30 pitches in an MLB game is utterly meaningless to a dude with 70 innings.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #102: September 13, 2022, 11:53:51 AM »
I look forward to the leak a few years from now when we find out if the new owners during negotiations wanted Soto gone or not.
They will never admit if they did. But there is no way the Lerners would have done anything that would have negatively affected the bidding.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #103: September 13, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »
What Im saying is there is no difference in what the Padres offered at the deadline versus what they offer in the offseason. In fact, we probably have more leverage, because we can say we're working on an extension, the Padres would likely be in a spiral after missing the playoffs, and Gore's injury would have been shown to be more severe than initially reported.

Meanwhile, other things may have changed and there are likely more bidders, with more time available to Rizzo to scout and analyze prospects.

Gore significantly modified his delivery after being unable to throw strikes at any level and losing his velo. He made it 70 innings with pretty meh metrics before inuring his elbow and missing almost two months. Thats a giant red flag. Nats are rushing this dude back and for the life of me, I dont understand why. ~30 pitches in an MLB game is utterly meaningless to a dude with 70 innings.

If the Padres struggled they might have gone in a different direction, perhaps after starting pitching rather than hitting.  They were at a point, with the expectation that Tatis Jr. was coming back, where they wanted to go all-in THIS season.

By the end of next year every starting pitcher they have save one is a FA so they may have been more reluctant to move Gore. Abrams would be playing every day for them now and his stock has risen. Soto, on the other hand, has seen his stock decline given the year he's having (and there's little reason to think he'd be better here than SD). Hassell would be a year closer to the majors and thus more valuable. Susana's stock has risen since the trade.

I don't there's any way we get the same package in the off-season from SD. Maybe we'd get a comparable or even better package elsewhere, but again, not for a guy who's batting average is heading for the mendoza line.

Ask yourself if you'd trade the package we got back to San Diego for Sosa. I don't think there's any way you say yes.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #104: September 13, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
The Padres sense of urgency absolutely helped us here. No way we get the same deal in the offseason with one less playoff push. There are absolutely not more bidders coming to the table in the offseason. It was always the Padres, Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals as the main four and only the Padres were the ones willing to even negotiate to make a deal.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #105: September 13, 2022, 02:07:21 PM »
The Padres sense of urgency absolutely helped us here. No way we get the same deal in the offseason with one less playoff push. There are absolutely not more bidders coming to the table in the offseason. It was always the Padres, Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals as the main four and only the Padres were the ones willing to even negotiate to make a deal.
Yes!!

Offline imref

« Reply #106: September 16, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
nice outing tonight: 2.2 IP, 0R, 4H, 2BB, 2Ks. 57 pitches, 32 strikes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #107: September 16, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »
nice outing tonight: 2.2 IP, 0R, 4H, 2BB, 2Ks. 57 pitches, 32 strikes.

whip > 2? Fortunate. Might want one more start in the minors.

Offline imref

« Reply #108: September 16, 2022, 08:35:52 PM »
whip > 2? Fortunate. Might want one more start in the minors.
yep, this is all about seeing if he's healthy

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #110: September 17, 2022, 11:47:24 AM »
Touched 96 is the best stat to me. Delivery looks smooth.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #111: September 17, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »
I cannot believe the current velocities of young pitchers.  I remember when Jon Lester was considered a hard thrower for a lefty at 93, and I'm not sure Clemens topped 95. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #112: September 17, 2022, 12:31:17 PM »
Pleasing!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #113: September 17, 2022, 12:46:52 PM »
Not a pitching mechanics guy but his finish where he swings that leg in the air seems really awkward to me. At a minimum it will keep him from being a decent fielder. Is that the new mechanics the Padres worked with him on this year?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #114: September 17, 2022, 12:59:14 PM »
It's been a while since I've studied follow-through mechanics specifically. But in general, that's his momentum carrying him through to that position. It is much more "awkward" on a body to try to decelerate a pitching motion to end up in a position ready to field.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #115: September 17, 2022, 01:05:54 PM »
Really similar follow through on the very next clip I watch lol.

https://twitter.com/nats_playerdev/status/1571179675283607555?s=46&t=xJ3JrGT5Ymfz5HEKhlwvJQ

Offline Slateman

« Reply #116: September 17, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
Not a pitching mechanics guy but his finish where he swings that leg in the air seems really awkward to me. At a minimum it will keep him from being a decent fielder. Is that the new mechanics the Padres worked with him on this year?
Mechanics overview starts at about 1:30

Edit: At 5:18 is a direct comparison of deliveries

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: September 17, 2022, 01:46:47 PM »
Mechanics overview starts at about 1:30

Edit: At 5:18 is a direct comparison of deliveries
Thanks.  That’s great stuff. But I didn’t see that big leg swing at the end of the windup that I saw in those highlights from last night. So maybe the Nats tweaking it some more?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: September 20, 2022, 05:51:43 PM »
Yea.  Young pitcher going to pitch!

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #120: September 21, 2022, 11:19:19 PM »
Yea.  Young pitcher going to pitch!

A nice outing by Gore at Rochester tonight:

4IP 4H 1 R 1 ER  1BB 4 SO 1.08 ERA

65 Pitches, 46 strikes

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #121: September 22, 2022, 12:17:04 AM »
A nice outing by Gore at Rochester tonight:

4IP 4H 1 R 1 ER  1BB 4 SO 1.08 ERA

65 Pitches, 46 strikes

https://twitter.com/milb/status/1572728507784122370?s=46&t=LWSGPUqM-adZ6jBnWKX96A

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #122: September 22, 2022, 07:01:29 AM »
Don’t understand the 1.08.  Is that cumulative? 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: September 22, 2022, 07:07:27 AM »
Don’t understand the 1.08.  Is that cumulative?
I like the strikes versus balls.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #124: September 22, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »
What did his velocity look like?