Author Topic: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon
« Reply #50: August 29, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »
Abrams is hitting .207. I don’t think he weighs that much.  Patience grasshopper. I think if two of the five end up being good MLB players and one a half decent one that would be great. And don’t forget Voit’s chest hairs in the interim.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: August 29, 2022, 08:55:38 AM »
Too soon!!
Pitching or burying him as a bust?

Online Five Banners

« Reply #52: August 29, 2022, 09:02:43 AM »
So, in case anyone isnt keeping track

One of the pieces in the Juan Soto trade will end the season on a rehab assignment.

Two of the pieces cant hit their weights at their respective level.

The other two are in Low A ball.

But, but, but, Passan said it was a historic haul, soo…

The thought did occur that the main takeaway from Gore coming up now could be in the discussion at Soto’s Hall of Fame induction about how Gore actually did pitch for the Nationals at one time.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: August 29, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »
Abrams is hitting .207. I don’t think he weighs that much.  Patience grasshopper. I think if two of the five end up being good MLB players and one a half decent one that would be great. And don’t forget Voit’s chest hairs in the interim.
.136  average as a National. Pretty sure he will slip under .185 for the season.

But Voit over Hosmer is a sold win.

Also, if I have to have patience, then the front office needs to have patience. Abrams has no bussiness being in the major leagues. Its actually much more concerning that the front office thought he was ready. I get they think metrics are whimsical magic dust, but the average scout should have been able to determine he was no where near ready with the eye test.

Oh and why rush Gore back? Guy has a history of injuries and spent all last offseason tinkering with his delivery. 5-6 innings over 2-3 appearances isnt going to make a lick of difference. Just shut him down and tell him to start his offseason conditioning.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: August 29, 2022, 09:23:58 AM »
But, but, but, Passan said it was a historic haul, soo…

The thought did occur that the main takeaway from Gore coming up now could be in the discussion at Soto’s Hall of Fame induction about how Gore actually did pitch for the Nationals at one time.
This is why I thought they should have signed him and built around him. Prospects are a crapshoot no matter how highly they are rated. 

Watched some of the Pirates over the weekend.  They have some nice young pieces.  Hayes. Cruz. Castro. Starting pitcher yesterday was great.  And they are 48-79. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: August 29, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
If Gore is healthy no reason he should not pitch. At this point it’s just a swag. Abrams hit fine in Triple A so not sure having him there for more time serves any real purpose. In any event the team has poor development staff so we are doomed no matter where or when these guys play.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #56: August 29, 2022, 09:29:16 AM »
Pitching or burying him as a bust?
Pitching. Why risk aggravating the old injury just to showcase him for a game or two in a season that has been a bust.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: August 29, 2022, 09:32:58 AM »
Pitching. Why risk aggravating the old injury just to showcase him for a game or two in a season that has been a bust.
Is there any evidence to show that shutting him down for the rest of the season reduces chance of injury going forward?  I think it’s actually a good idea to throw in September. If it’s something more serious then better to find out earlier.

Online Slateman

« Reply #58: August 29, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
Is there any evidence to show that shutting him down for the rest of the season reduces chance of injury going forward?  I think it’s actually a good idea to throw in September. If it’s something more serious then better to find out earlier.
Generally, not rushing back from injury prevents further aggrevation of the injured area.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: August 29, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
Generally, not rushing back from injury prevents further aggrevation of the injured area.
Thanks doctor.

I think it depends what it is. No evidence they are rushing him. Apparently no evidence of major damage. He was shut down a while back and is starting to long toss. If he throws with no pain there is absolutely no reason to keep him on the shelf. He has only pitched 75 innings this year. You get better by pitching more.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #60: August 29, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »
If Gore is healthy no reason he should not pitch. At this point it’s just a swag. Abrams hit fine in Triple A so not sure having him there for more time serves any real purpose. In any event the team has poor development staff so we are doomed no matter where or when these guys play.

He hit fine in El Paso, which is barely a step up from hitting fine in the cage.  He had all of eight games at Rochester, so I'll give him a pass there on the sub-.700 OPS. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #61: August 29, 2022, 10:53:20 AM »
Thanks doctor.

I think it depends what it is. No evidence they are rushing him. Apparently no evidence of major damage. He was shut down a while back and is starting to long toss. If he throws with no pain there is absolutely no reason to keep him on the shelf. He has only pitched 75 innings this year. You get better by pitching more.
He needs to be healthy more than he needs to pitch this season.

He managed a whopping 75 innings with his new delivery before he ended up on the IL for over a month. There is nothing to be gained by him pitching this season. A couple of starts isnt going to make or break him.

This is the same training staff that told us Strasburg had carpal tunnel and that he'd be ready to go in late May. Same trainers that let Jackson Tetreault pitch with a broken shoulder blade.

Shut him down. Let him work on conditioning. Have him as healthy and ready as possible in ST. A couple of starts has no bearing on his development.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: August 29, 2022, 11:36:39 AM »

Oh and why rush Gore back? Guy has a history of injuries and spent all last offseason tinkering with his delivery. 5-6 innings over 2-3 appearances isnt going to make a lick of difference. Just shut him down and tell him to start his offseason conditioning.
There's value in pitching September innings coming off an injury. At the very least, psychologically you feel like it is a more normal offseason. It was TJ, but they did it with JZ in 2011, and I seen it other times
 I am not even clear on how bad he was hurt this year. It never sounded like a major injury

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: August 29, 2022, 11:47:36 AM »
He needs to be healthy more than he needs to pitch this season.

He managed a whopping 75 innings with his new delivery before he ended up on the IL for over a month. There is nothing to be gained by him pitching this season. A couple of starts isnt going to make or break him.

This is the same training staff that told us Strasburg had carpal tunnel and that he'd be ready to go in late May. Same trainers that let Jackson Tetreault pitch with a broken shoulder blade.

Shut him down. Let him work on conditioning. Have him as healthy and ready as possible in ST. A couple of starts has no bearing on his development.
Might as well rest him next year also. 

Strasburg has nerve issues; that's a different story and harder to diagnose.  Of course at this point we don't really know what the issue is with Gore. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: August 29, 2022, 12:01:32 PM »
Looks like Gore threw about 100 innings in 2019.  We don't know what he did on the side in 2020 but then only about 50 innings in 2021.  Not sure if that was from arm issues or they just wanted to be careful.  Eventually the guy is going to have to pitch innings as a starter.  If there is a significant injury than that is an issue and he should be shut down. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #65: August 30, 2022, 05:45:24 PM »
In light of the Cade Cavalli news, I'm going to reiterate my desire to shut him down

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: August 30, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »

Strasburg has nerve issues; that's a different story and harder to diagnose. 

Different injury but similarities to John Patterson's forever rehab.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #67: August 30, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »
Yeahhhh. I'm not for shutting him down if he doesn't need to be shut down. But MLB is not a rehab assignment, lol. Adrenaline will be pumping.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #68: August 30, 2022, 06:47:44 PM »
Yeahhhh. I'm not for shutting him down if he doesn't need to be shut down. But MLB is not a rehab assignment, lol. Adrenaline will be pumping.

Cade sez hey

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #69: August 30, 2022, 10:05:02 PM »
Different injury but similarities to John Patterson's forever rehab.

The end for John Patterson was when he was on third and the catcher threw a pickoff attempt. He dove back and messed up his shoulder. One OF MANY reasons I was always in favor of the DH.

Offline catocony

« Reply #70: August 31, 2022, 12:42:36 AM »
The end for John Patterson was when he was on third and the catcher threw a pickoff attempt. He dove back and messed up his shoulder. One OF MANY reasons I was always in favor of the DH.
I'm pretty sure that was Shawn Hill, not John Patterson.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #71: August 31, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
Cade sez hey

This was posted after the Cade news? Cade sounds precautionary but yeah. Just making the point that MLB isn't a rehab start.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #72: September 06, 2022, 06:08:37 PM »
Jesse Dougherty  @dougherty_jesse
As promised: MacKenzie Gore threw two innings and 37 pitches, facing Alex Call, Riley Adams and Josh Palacios. He was about 75-80 percent, Dave Martinez estimated, and the plan is for him to throw a pen in three days. If that goes well, a rehab assignment could follow.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #73: September 06, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »
Sounds like Gore starts once in Washington just before the season ends.

Online Slateman

« Reply #74: September 06, 2022, 06:48:01 PM »
Jesus freaking christ