Author Topic: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle  (Read 15734 times)

Offline BigMeech

Re: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle
« Reply #50: August 17, 2022, 07:43:04 PM »
he stinks.  send him back. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #51: August 17, 2022, 08:13:22 PM »
Could he get at least 20 plate appearances or something?  Dude's had 3 bad games at the plate.  Three.  Yes, he looks out of sorts right now, but it's been three games.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #52: August 19, 2022, 11:26:43 AM »
Gotta let him learn my dude. He’s already teeing off on minor leaguers so there’s not much more he can accomplish down there. He might just be feeling his way around big league pitching.

He's not, though.  He posted above average numbers at AAA in the Padres' system, but that's the PCL - an extreme hitter's league.  There's a reason he started playing for Rochester and the numbers dropped substantially.

40 games at AAA isn't a whole lot.  More time there would definitely allow him to work on how he sees offspeed stuff.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: August 19, 2022, 11:43:56 AM »
He's not, though.  He posted above average numbers at AAA in the Padres' system, but that's the PCL - an extreme hitter's league.  There's a reason he started playing for Rochester and the numbers dropped substantially.

40 games at AAA isn't a whole lot.  More time there would definitely allow him to work on how he sees offspeed stuff.
As a whole, he doesnt have a lot of time in the minors. 2020 was lost and he only got 40 games last year.

Could he get at least 20 plate appearances or something?  Dude's had 3 bad games at the plate.  Three.  Yes, he looks out of sorts right now, but it's been three games.

He has over 150 plate appearances at the big league level. He is simply not ready. Not even close.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: August 19, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »

Is it an extreme hitters league or an extreme HR league?  Small sample size but his OBP was about the same in both leagues.  .364 versus .343 in Rochester.  I would take that at the MLB level.  Lots of work to do for him. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: August 19, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
Is it an extreme hitters league or an extreme HR league?  Small sample size but his OBP was about the same in both leagues.  .364 versus .343 in Rochester.  I would take that at the MLB level.  Lots of work to do for him. 

More of the latter, but there's a 10-15 point advantage for the PCL with both BA and OBP the last couple years.  So maybe not "extreme," but it definitely inflates stats and I wouldn't rely on a 30-game sample of above average hitting in the PCL to say that a guy is dominating minor league hitting.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: August 19, 2022, 12:32:07 PM »
More of the latter, but there's a 10-15 point advantage for the PCL with both BA and OBP the last couple years.  So maybe not "extreme," but it definitely inflates stats and I wouldn't rely on a 30-game sample of above average hitting in the PCL to say that a guy is dominating minor league hitting.
Agree. Seems so little time in the minor league season that they should just leave him up. Kevin Long will straighten him out. Oh wait…

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #57: August 19, 2022, 12:35:24 PM »
Agree. Seems so little time in the minor league season that they should just leave him up. Kevin Long will straighten him out. Oh wait…

Good think Mark saved a few bucks by letting Long go. People are saying the new moneyball is to have the cheapest coaches possible so the owners can max out a sale.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: August 19, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »
Good think Mark saved a few bucks by letting Long go. People are saying the new moneyball is to have the cheapest coaches possible so the owners can max out a sale.
I heard he was going to get a couple hundred million extra on the sale by avoiding that liability.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #59: August 19, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
As a whole, he doesnt have a lot of time in the minors. 2020 was lost and he only got 40 games last year.

He has over 150 plate appearances at the big league level. He is simply not ready. Not even close.

He had a .605 OPS with San Diego.  Bad, but not can't-stay-in-the-majors-to-see bad.  What I'm wondering is what happened there to cause him to hit the ball over the fence, because the way he's looking right now he's got about negative chance of actually driving a ball.  Like, did the Nationals manage to freak him up in what, 2 weeks in AAA?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #60: August 19, 2022, 03:09:47 PM »
He had a .605 OPS with San Diego.  Bad, but not can't-stay-in-the-majors-to-see bad.  What I'm wondering is what happened there to cause him to hit the ball over the fence, because the way he's looking right now he's got about negative chance of actually driving a ball.  Like, did the Nationals manage to freak him up in what, 2 weeks in AAA?
Dee Gordon had a .661 OPS. .605 is absolutely cant stay in the majors.

They didnt freak him up in 2 weeks, he was never ready to begin with. He wasnt ready when the Padres called him up but they were in a playoff race and didnt have a choice. He was crushing the ball in Triple A either.

He simply isnt ready.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #61: August 19, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
Dee Gordon had a .661 OPS. .605 is absolutely cant stay in the majors.

They didnt freak him up in 2 weeks, he was never ready to begin with. He wasnt ready when the Padres called him up but they were in a playoff race and didnt have a choice. He was crushing the ball in Triple A either.

He simply isnt ready.

.605 can stay if he's ready to develop off it.  I'm not sure that's the case, but on a team this bad, I'm not seeing why the number itself would be prohibitive.  Robles is at .607 and Cesar's at .622 and neither of them has the excuse of being 21 years old.  I'd be fine sending him back down - it's not like he has a ton of AAA at bats or even AA - but I'm not seeing a massive imperative.  It just depends on where he's going to learn faster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: August 19, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »
.605 can stay if he's ready to develop off it.  I'm not sure that's the case, but on a team this bad, I'm not seeing why the number itself would be prohibitive.  Robles is at .607 and Cesar's at .622 and neither of them has the excuse of being 21 years old.  I'd be fine sending him back down - it's not like he has a ton of AAA at bats or even AA - but I'm not seeing a massive imperative.  It just depends on where he's going to learn faster.
to be a bit crass, is this a justifiable use of his service clock?  He had about 5 weeks in the minors, so we have 6 years. I guess we aren't going to keep him in the minors for 2-3 months next year to keep the 6 years after.  If he had something like  3 months service time this year, could you see him staying down until late May / early June to pick up another year?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #63: August 19, 2022, 04:43:19 PM »
to be a bit crass, is this a justifiable use of his service clock?  He had about 5 weeks in the minors, so we have 6 years. I guess we aren't going to keep him in the minors for 2-3 months next year to keep the 6 years after.  If he had something like  3 months service time this year, could you see him staying down until late May / early June to pick up another year?

I was assuming they were not going to try to squeeze another year out of it.  I'm not ready to say he's that unready.  If that's the thought, then he should be in AA, not AAA.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #64: August 19, 2022, 04:45:30 PM »
I was assuming they were not going to try to squeeze another year out of it.  I'm not ready to say he's that unready.  If that's the thought, then he should be in AA, not AAA.
I agree he should be in Double A.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #65: August 19, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »
I agree he should be in Double A.

Fair position.  I'm not there yet, but I can see the argument.  The bat to ball skills aren't overcoming the lack of approach, and AA is the right level for that issue, especially late in the season.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #66: August 19, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
Abrams posted .296 / .363 / .420  in 42 AA games

For comparison, Bryce Harper, was promoted after 37 AA games where he posted .256 / .329 / .395

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #67: August 19, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »
Abrams posted .296 / .363 / .420  in 42 AA games

For comparison, Bryce Harper, was promoted after 37 AA games where he posted .256 / .329 / .395

Bryce Harper wasn't in Amarillo.  That's an extreme hitter's park.  He was also two years younger.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #68: August 19, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »
Bryce Harper, age 21: .273/.344/.423
CJ Abrams: .221/.275/.300

Bryce Harper is a once in a generation talent. Abrams is a super fast dude. The two are not comparable. The dude just isnt ready.

Online imref

« Reply #69: August 19, 2022, 07:13:51 PM »
Bryce Harper wasn't in Amarillo.  That's an extreme hitter's park.  He was also two years younger.

True, but I wouldn’t send Abrams back to AA. AAA but then who plays short ?

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #70: August 19, 2022, 07:41:41 PM »
True, but I wouldn’t send Abrams back to AA. AAA but then who plays short ?
Vargas.

Online imref

« Reply #71: August 19, 2022, 07:51:16 PM »
Vargas.

Not sure I want to see Franco starting again.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #72: August 19, 2022, 08:12:04 PM »
Not sure I want to see Franco starting again.
Abrams down, Alu up?

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #73: August 20, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »
What was Abrams arm rated as?  So far his throws seem to have little zip to them.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #74: August 20, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »
Can we move Prospects threads instead of locking them? Anyway

Scouting Grades: Hit: 70. Power: 50. Run: 80. Fielding: 60. Arm: 55.

CJ Abrams
Born: Oct 3, 2000
Bats: L Throws: R
Ht.: 6'2" Wt.: 185
Drafted/Signed: HS--Roswell, Ga., 2019 (1st round).
Signed By: Tyler Stubblefield.
Minors: .314/.364/.507 | 7 HR | 10 SB | 140 AB

Track Record: Abrams long stood out as one of the best and most athletic players for his age in high school and made a big impression when he took over center field for USA Baseball’s 18U National Team and made the position look easy despite never playing it before. He followed with a sensational senior spring, and the Padres were thrilled when he fell to them at the sixth overall pick in 2019. They lured him away from an Alabama commitment with a $5.2 million signing bonus, and by the end of that first pro summer, Abrams had won the Rookie-level Arizona League’s MVP award after batting .401 and earned a promotion to Low-A Fort Wayne. That assignment, however, was halted after just two games due to a shoulder injury. Abrams spent 2020 at the Padres’ alternate training site and made his full-season debut at Double-A San Antonio in 2021, where he got off to a hot start before fracturing his left tibia and spraining his left MCL in a collision with second baseman Eguy Rosario in late June, ending his season. Abrams recovered in time to get back on the field in instructional league but bruised his left shoulder while sliding into a base, an injury that prevented him from participating in the Arizona Fall League.

Scouting Report: When he is on the field, Abrams stands out for all the right reasons. He has a flat, fluid swing and elite hand-eye coordination—thanks in large part to the various contraptions his dad devised during his youth—that allow him to hit any type of pitch no matter where it’s located. He expanded the strike zone a bit much in his first stint at San Antonio, which is not all that surprising given that he was essentially jumping from rookie ball all the way to Double-A. At his best, he has a keen eye for the zone and takes borderline pitches like a seasoned veteran. Abrams’ frame is long and lean, but he’s no slap hitter. He makes loud contact off the barrel and can drive the ball out to all fields. It’s not out of the question for him to develop 20-home run power as he matures. Abrams’ 80-grade speed allows him to regularly beat out infield singles and will make him an elite base-stealing threat once he learns pitchers’ tendencies. Defensively, Abrams has plus range at shortstop. He doesn’t always show off his above-average arm, but he has a plus internal clock and tends to save his bullets for when they’re needed. He has gotten more reliable at making the routine plays and will make the occasional highlight-reel play. While it’s easy to compare Abrams to the last shortstop to rise quickly through the Padres’ system, the similarities are few. Where Fernando Tatis Jr. seems to play with his hair on fire, Abrams is a low-motor player whose actions often appear effortless. Tatis’ presence means Abrams is likely destined for a position change. He has the athleticism and aptitude to make the transition to second base or center field when the time comes.

The Future: For all his talent, Abrams has just 348 plate appearances in three seasons and needs at-bats. If he can stay healthy, he should become a dynamic table-setter in front of Tatis and Manny Machado in the Padres’ lineup.

Scouting Grades: Hit: 70. Power: 50. Run: 80. Fielding: 60. Arm: 55.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1016/san-diego-padres/organizational/#103865