Author Topic: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle  (Read 15731 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle
« Reply #25: August 14, 2022, 05:38:59 PM »
And here we go…

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: August 14, 2022, 05:40:18 PM »
He cant possibly be a worse fielder than Garcia, right?

Offline imref

« Reply #27: August 14, 2022, 05:42:49 PM »
He cant possibly be a worse fielder than Garcia, right?

Like Voit would be a better SS.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #28: August 14, 2022, 05:58:27 PM »
Abrams is a good fielder.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #29: August 14, 2022, 08:09:18 PM »
If for some reason he doesn't stick at SS he's also a CF/2B. I haven't read any major gripes with his defense. Most of his reports were written when he was blocked by Tatis and that was the major issue.

Plus speed.

Some discussion about his floor lately. BP has "Variance: Medium. Health and future power output are the only nitpicks."

Offline imref

« Reply #30: August 14, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »
once Garcia is back, we'll have three pieces of our new 'core' in place with Ruiz, Abrams, and Garcia. It will be fun to see how they play out the rest of the season. Maybe Hassell is here next year at some point in a best-case scenario.

Offline imref

« Reply #31: August 15, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »
batting 7th in his debut

Offline imref

« Reply #32: August 15, 2022, 09:51:00 PM »
Per Zuck: abrams is the SS going forward. Garcia has been told he’s going to second.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: August 15, 2022, 10:07:42 PM »
Per Zuck: abrams is the SS going forward. Garcia has been told he’s going to second.
Sanity!

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #34: August 15, 2022, 10:24:18 PM »
once Garcia is back, we'll have three pieces of our new 'core' in place with Ruiz, Abrams, and Garcia. It will be fun to see how they play out the rest of the season. Maybe Hassell is here next year at some point in a best-case scenario.

Hassell would have to take a giant leap from A ball to get here that soon. Probably not gonna happen, but as much as everyone raves about his hitting, he could get a fast track for 2024.

Offline Section214

« Reply #35: August 15, 2022, 10:35:13 PM »
Hassell would have to take a giant leap from A ball to get here that soon. Probably not gonna happen, but as much as everyone raves about his hitting, he could get a fast track for 2024.

Promoted to AA today. If he keeps hitting, he can be up next year. Look around the league at how fast some guys are coming up and it's not impossible to think would start next year in AA and have a chance to come right on up in the summer

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #36: August 15, 2022, 11:16:51 PM »
Promoted to AA today. If he keeps hitting, he can be up next year. Look around the league at how fast some guys are coming up and it's not impossible to think would start next year in AA and have a chance to come right on up in the summer

Maybe end of next season, at the earliest. Figure half season at Harrisburg, then a half season at Rochester, if everything goes perfectly.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: August 17, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
Send this dude back down. Dont bring him back up until next August, if not until 2024. He cant hit. He has no approach. Sont ruin this guy like we're ruining Robles and Garcia

Offline hotshot

« Reply #38: August 17, 2022, 06:04:57 PM »
Looking at his record at El Paso this year. He hit .314 -- so he must have some idea of what he's doing at the plate.  A career .331 hitter in the minors, does he really need THAT much more seasoning?

Not to mention his 130+ ABs at the ML level, and however more he racks up before the season ends.

He's also REALLY fast. Lastly, looks to me like he could maybe put on another 5-10 pounds of muscle without losing quickness.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #39: August 17, 2022, 06:20:33 PM »
Looking at his record at El Paso this year. He hit .314 -- so he must have some idea of what he's doing at the plate.  A career .331 hitter in the minors, does he really need THAT much more seasoning?

Not to mention his 130+ ABs at the ML level, and however more he racks up before the season ends.

He's also REALLY fast. Lastly, looks to me like he could maybe put on another 5-10 pounds of muscle without losing quickness.
Have you not watched him? He is freaking lost. Ball above the knees, center of the plate and he looked surprised it was called a strike.

He has less than a season of minor league baseball, total. No power except in the hitter friendly PCL. Dude needs time.

This club needs to break the mindset that they can develop at the MLB level. They can't. And they dont need to because this team is going to suck for a while

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: August 17, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »
Slate also said Garcia could not hit MLB pitching.  Which he has shown he can. Just stop with the hottakes and wait until something beyond a small sample size with the Nats.

Offline Section214

« Reply #41: August 17, 2022, 06:57:39 PM »
Slate also said Garcia could not hit MLB pitching.  Which he has shown he can. Just stop with the hottakes and wait until something beyond a small sample size with the Nats.

Exhausting. I saw a bunch of people on twitter joking about how people will overreact and be silly with hot takes about Abrams if he doesn't start his Nats career hitting .400 with power right off the bat. I didn't think anyone would actually do it.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #42: August 17, 2022, 07:11:13 PM »
Send this dude back down. Dont bring him back up until next August, if not until 2024. He cant hit. He has no approach. Sont ruin this guy like we're ruining Robles and Garcia

Gotta let him learn my dude. He’s already teeing off on minor leaguers so there’s not much more he can accomplish down there. He might just be feeling his way around big league pitching.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: August 17, 2022, 07:25:10 PM »
Exhausting. I saw a bunch of people on twitter joking about how people will overreact and be silly with hot takes about Abrams if he doesn't start his Nats career hitting .400 with power right off the bat. I didn't think anyone would actually do it.
The thing is most of these guys don’t end up as very good players. So the odds are with these folks when they overreact.  They just have no clue which ones will stick.  I will admit o have my opinions but am often wrong. I mean look at Meneses. A big first week. But now the pitchers getting a book on him. I and many others here thought Josh Bell would never hit after the first couple months last year. Wrong again. Let it play out. I will be rooting for this kid as he seems the real deal defensively. Of course that is an overreaction also with a small sample size to watch.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: August 17, 2022, 07:25:45 PM »
well, Garcia backs Slate's case. They let him get a half season at Rochester where he he was crushing the ball before his call up. Most of that was to learn ss, jury out on that, but his offense improved ober that time and stuck. Abrams may still have stuff to learn in a tougher hitters league than the AAA West. I won't say a 3 game series decides things, but I would not say it's clear he has no more productive learning to do at AAA

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: August 17, 2022, 07:28:45 PM »
well, Garcia backs Slate's case. They let him get a half season at Rochester where he he was crushing the ball before his call up. Most of that was to learn ss, jury out on that, but his offense improved ober that time and stuck. Abrams may still have stuff to learn in a tougher hitters league than the AAA West. I won't say a 3 game series decides things, but I would not say it's clear he has no more productive learning to do at AAA
No. He said Garcia should stay in Triple A all year.  It’s also quite possible that Garcia would have hit fine in MLB from the start of the year. One never knows for sure.

In any event he things the Nats minor league development staff of terrible so we are doomed either way.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #46: August 17, 2022, 07:32:35 PM »
You know, except for his below average hitting. But okay

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: August 17, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »
Gotta let him learn my dude. He’s already teeing off on minor leaguers so there’s not much more he can accomplish down there. He might just be feeling his way around big league pitching.
Learn in the minor leagues.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #48: August 17, 2022, 07:34:40 PM »
Garcia rocking that sweet 95 wRC+ for the season. Yep, all it took was 600+ plate appearances to be a slightly below average hitter, and the worst defender in baseball

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: August 17, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »
No. He said Garcia should stay in Triple A all year.  It’s also quite possible that Garcia would have hit fine in MLB from the start of the year. One never knows for sure.

In any event he things the Nats minor league development staff of terrible so we are doomed either way.
Minor league coaching staff is better than the major league one