Author Topic: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle  (Read 19961 times)

Smithian and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline UMDNats

Re: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle
« Reply #350: September 12, 2023, 03:20:52 PM »
CJ can make a lot of money putting up 3.5 bWAR seasons for the next 10 years. He doesn't even need to get demonstrably better. A 100 OPS+ shortstop with solid defense is a very valuable player to slot in on a roster.

Offline blue911

« Reply #351: September 12, 2023, 04:06:08 PM »
Victor Robles had a 4.4 bWAR in his age 22 season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #352: September 12, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
Robles looked like a real building block for the post World Series roster and then just totally cratered. I think he is/was crazy lazy and never proved to have the ability to adjust and improve. He's a good comp for the worst-case scenario for Abrams the next 3-4 years, though I can't see Abrams going from this to a totally unplayable bat.

Both were good prospects and have similar flaws and strengths, so definitely a reason to be more cautious than calling him elite.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #353: September 12, 2023, 04:51:00 PM »
I dunno. Doesn’t always work out that way. 

It doesn't always work that way, but I'd be quite surprised if CJ doesn't continue to improve over the next few seasons based on his demonstrated work ethic. He clearly needed to get stronger to allow himself to consistently impact the ball and he obviously has put in the work on that front. It sounds a little silly given that he only put on five or six pounds prior to the season, but given how difficult it's been to put on muscle for him (his words and something common for young athletes with his sort of build), that likely involved a consistent summer of diligent weight training. And more than him looking a bit stouter this season, he is in fact impacting the ball more often (obviously).

If he continues on that trajectory (and there's no reason to think that he won't given the quality of the kid), there should be at least another level or two to get to.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #354: September 12, 2023, 05:13:48 PM »
Cj spent much of the year bottom of the order.  You get more fastballs in the zone there. Like any young hitter teams will start to get a book on him and work the weaknesses. So will be up to him to adjust. He does not seem to have enough plate discipline to be a lead off hitter. So wonder where he will bat in the long run?

Defensively he has lots of talent but needs to work at his craft. Fangraphs has him rated 19th defensively this season. 

The work ethic is a big thing for these guys.  Seems he has that but time will tell.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #355: September 12, 2023, 06:12:33 PM »
I think we may be slicing and dicing too fine on trying to detect trends in CJ's performance. I know I got very concerned about August, and now folks are all :woop: about a few games in September (2 rest days, 2 off days make for 6 or so games). I think his body of work since the move to leadoff is pretty good. He's at his best when he is walking a bit over that stretch and being a bit selective. If selectivity sticks, then that's great. Davey's preached it, and the kid seems to listen.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #356: September 12, 2023, 10:19:47 PM »
Guy is elite.  Much better at his age than Albies, who got a big extension

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357: September 13, 2023, 08:38:26 AM »
be great if the boy band, Marky Mark and the In-laws, gave Rizzo the go ahead to do a deal now.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #358: September 13, 2023, 08:45:49 AM »

I believe the Albies' extension is a bit infamous specifically for not being a big contract. I don't see Abrams signing for anything less than 3x what Albies got.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #359: September 13, 2023, 02:18:16 PM »
https://x.com/MLBNetwork/status/1702019738618978463?s=20

"CJ Abrams is looking like a cornerstone for years to come in DC"

Offline blue911

« Reply #360: September 13, 2023, 04:04:19 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #362: September 15, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »
Law remains a believer:

Dan: CJ Abrams is a stud that will make Nats fans forget about Trea Turner. True or Truer?

Keith Law: Abrams is going to be a very, very good player, and will not make Nats fans forget about Trea Turner.

From his chat today. Two “very”s being better than one of course lol

Offline imref

« Reply #363: September 15, 2023, 04:09:28 PM »
Law remains a believer:

Dan: CJ Abrams is a stud that will make Nats fans forget about Trea Turner. True or Truer?

Keith Law: Abrams is going to be a very, very good player, and will not make Nats fans forget about Trea Turner.

That sounds fair. I'd guess Abrams' ceiling is Trey Turner.  Hopefully Abrams fills the SS position until we send Wood back to San Diego for their next up and coming shortstop in 2029. :)

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #364: September 15, 2023, 04:12:32 PM »
That sounds fair. I'd guess Abrams' ceiling is Trey Turner.  Hopefully Abrams fills the SS position until we send Wood back to San Diego for their next up and coming shortstop in 2029. :)

💯😂

Offline blue911

« Reply #365: September 15, 2023, 05:28:10 PM »
Law remains a believer:

Trea is an incredibly exciting player. Who wants to forget him?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #366: September 21, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »
Nats fans will never forget about Trea. He was a cornerstone of a World Series Champion. But, if Abrams continues to improve, Nats fans could definitely be more ok with Trea not being here than I think many were anticipating and I'd expect Trea's production to start progressing downward over the next few years while CJ should be progressing upwards, so their arrows should cross paths in the night at some point in the next couple of years. At least that's the Nats fans' hope.

Offline imref

« Reply #367: October 01, 2023, 03:57:46 PM »
46th stolen base ties Trea for the season record

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368: October 01, 2023, 05:47:27 PM »
46th stolen base ties Trea for the season record
old news. 47!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #369: October 01, 2023, 05:49:03 PM »
I loved Frandsen yelling at him to pull the bag out. Not sure if any of you saw Acuna do that the other night.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #370: October 01, 2023, 06:43:30 PM »
I think I think he led the majors in steals after the ASB. I think he trailed Acuna 32-31 going into today.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #371: October 01, 2023, 07:40:44 PM »
Congrats to CJ for hitting 18 HRs this year! 18 is also the number of HRs that Dee Gordon hit in his entire career

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #372: October 01, 2023, 08:01:12 PM »
start of the year, Srluga said the thing to watch would be the development of CJ and others. Do they end the year showing significant improvement over the start of the year.  I'd say the second half had a lot of :shock:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #373: October 01, 2023, 08:03:36 PM »
start of the year, Srluga said the thing to watch would be the development of CJ and others. Do they end the year showing significant improvement over the start of the year.  I'd say the second half had a lot of :shock:

Id say it was a :shock: month of July and pretty meh everywhere else. In fact, I'll probably post about it later, but I agree with Svrluga and I'd say that the second half was a bit of a let down.

Offline imref

« Reply #374: November 28, 2023, 10:00:36 PM »
CJ getting in offseason work:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Yb4Ww1YFHNY