Author Topic: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle  (Read 16807 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: CJ Abrams: Our new man in the middle
« Reply #100: September 06, 2022, 09:52:44 AM »
Well, while he only got 183 PAs in AA last year and 186 in AAA this year, he hit well at both levels.  Power didn't show up at Rochester might be the only quibble.  There may have been value in letting him get more PAs in Rochester (only 35) until his pop started to show more.

It is probably rushed a bit.  Dude isn't even 22.  Are we that desperate that we need him to learn at the MLB level when he's had basically a half a year in the high minors?  Since when has sticking in the majors at 22 or 23 been a sign of failure? I/M/O, you bring up 21 year olds if they've shown there's nothing left to learn in the high minors or there's a specific need.  Turner, for example, had his first call up at 22 for the end of the season pinch running in 2015 (questionable, I/M/O) after 500 PAs of better performance in the high minors and in the middle of a pennant race.
But those minor league performances were in offensively charged leagues, except his limited time in Rochester. A simple eye test simply confirms it. With the exception of yesterday, he looks like a deer in the headlights at the plate.

Turner had played college and had 80 more minor league games than Abrams had before their callups. Its a night and day difference.

Between Preller's prospects not panning out and Mike Rizzo's inability over the last ten years to scout and develop talent, I'm just baffled by Abrams call up. These games dont matter. There were other guys who could have played shortstop.

The org gains nothing from this, but is risking turning him into Victor Robles, Addison Russell, or Jarred Kelenic.