Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11029 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Soto says goodbye :(

https://twitter.com/JuanSoto25_/status/1554728591539048449?s=20&t=MHB0bMbzjmULiOkU1ZG0Iw

"I am forever grateful to all of you, but even a half-billion dollars wasn't enough to get me to want to stay with you."

Whatever dude.

(I'm just being salty - I get that this team is a turd sandwich rn and he'd rather have a chance at winning.)

• pissy DC sports fan
Ironically, I think Wood and Susana are the most intriguing players to me in this deal, but they're both the farthest away from the big leagues.

They've both dominated rookie/"low" A ball the way a certain, well...Juan Soto did back at the start of his career.

Offline Mattionals

"I am forever grateful to all of you, but even a half-billion dollars wasn't enough to get me to want to stay with you."

Whatever dude.

(I'm just being salty - I get that this team is a turd sandwich rn and he'd rather have a chance at winning.)

I doubt he was going to take an extension from anybody. I think the Padres have zero shot of signing him long term either. He decided long ago that he was going to go to Free Agency, just like Harper and Rendon before him

• pissy DC sports fan
I doubt he was going to take an extension from anybody. I think the Padres have zero shot of signing him long term either. He decided long ago that he was going to go to Free Agency, just like Harper and Rendon before him

Rationally, I know this.

Viscerally, I still hate it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I saw a comp of Wood to Adam Dunn at the same age. People forget how athletic and fast Dunn was coming up

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I saw a comp of Wood to Adam Dunn at the same age. People forget how athletic and fast Dunn was coming up

No, they didn't.  That's why scouts were afraid of projecting any useful athleticism for any tall white outfielder with power for a while, grumbling that they were all going to turn into Adam Dunn.  I remember this specifically with Harper.

Offline KV

• Believe!
I watched a bit of last nights Padres game. It was sad to see Soto and Bell playing in a different uniform. Not sure why I didn’t feel quite as bad when we lost Turner, Harper, or Rendon.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I watched a bit of last nights Padres game. It was sad to see Soto and Bell playing in a different uniform. Not sure why I didn’t feel quite as bad when we lost Turner, Harper, or Rendon.

Because you probably expected him to be here at least through the end of season. It was pretty quick to go from what everyone thought were serious negotiation to “he must be traded now.”

With all those other guys, you had months or years to prepare for their eventual departure. For me, Turner leaving was a gut punch for the same reason, although less so because the writing was on the wall somewhat.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Because you probably expected him to be here at least through the end of season. It was pretty quick to go from what everyone thought were serious negotiation to “he must be traded now.”

With all those other guys, you had months or years to prepare for their eventual departure. For me, Turner leaving was a gut punch for the same reason, although less so because the writing was on the wall somewhat.
Agree that Turner was more surprising, but ultimately, he wasn't going to be in his prime to help us win next time we'd be ready either. Turner's best tool is speed and that's usually the one that goes the fastest.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Agree that Turner was more surprising, but ultimately, he wasn't going to be in his prime to help us win next time we'd be ready either. Turner's best tool is speed and that's usually the one that goes the fastest.
what I kind of love about Turner is how he became more than just a fast guy. He has legit power for an up the middle player and his OBP is not dependent on bunts or slapping the ball on the ground through the infield (if that works anymore). He's 7th in fWAR for the past 5 seasons, ahead of Soto for the same period. Knock out his baserunning and he's still top 15. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Whatever dude.

Rationally, I know this.

Viscerally, I still hate it.

Thanks for putting exactly how I feel into words.  Spare us the bromides.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
what I kind of love about Turner is how he became more than just a fast guy. He has legit power for an up the middle player and his OBP is not dependent on bunts or slapping the ball on the ground through the infield (if that works anymore). He's 7th in fWAR for the past 5 seasons, ahead of Soto for the same period. Knock out his baserunning and he's still top 15. 

Yep! Total stud. And those slides.

Freak this org

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Oh no question. Certainly wasn't implying speed was his only asset. Just saying he isn't as good without it and he won't have it the way he does now in the middle of this decade when our next championship window could conceivably open. Speed is absolutely not his only tool, but it's still his best tool.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh no question. Certainly wasn't implying speed was his only asset. Just saying he isn't as good without it and he won't have it the way he does now in the middle of this decade when our next championship window could conceivably open. Speed is absolutely not his only tool, but it's still his best tool.
it's even more telling if you just pick it up from when Tatis joined the Padres (2019).  Turner is flat-out #1 among SS, and it's not close (1.5 fWAR).  drop base runs, and only Lindor is close. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
It's really amazing how good the 2019 roster was. And a lot of those guys weren't quite hitting their Prime yet. 2020 really screwed us. Maybe we would have been flat in an extended season, but I'll always wonder.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
it'll never happen, but...sign Turner, move Abrams to 2B, and Garcia to DH

Offline Duke of Earl

it'll never happen, but...sign Turner,
With the money saved by not signing Soto, why not?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yep. I was perfectly okay with a 6+ year extension. His bat would stay decent and you could have shifted him to second base

Online imref

soto jerseys are 70% off in the team store, stock up now for 2025.

Offline HalfSmokes

soto jerseys are 70% off in the team store, stock up now for 2025.

They'll cost $10 at TJ Maxx a month from now

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
No, they didn't.  That's why scouts were afraid of projecting any useful athleticism for any tall white outfielder with power for a while, grumbling that they were all going to turn into Adam Dunn.  I remember this specifically with Harper.

Hmmm. I remember a All-American basketball player from Ohio State, a power forward who was drafted by the Warriors but signed with the Dodgers instead.

Online imref

kind of curious to ask, given what we've seen since the trade, if the Padres offered to undo it, would you agree?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
kind of curious to ask, given what we've seen since the trade, if the Padres offered to undo it, would you agree?

No.