Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11040 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
If the Nats are only covering this year’s salary, they could take Myers instead.

Offline Natsinpwc

So JimBo says the Nats are only paying this year of Hosmer’s salary and the Padres are eating the rest.
Is he drunk again?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
So JimBo says the Nats are only paying this year of Hosmer’s salary and the Padres are eating the rest.
That makes me about 0.5% less mad about this trade then I was.

I bought in last year that shedding a massive load of salary would reposition this team to spend aggressively like they did in the 2010's. I was burned by the crap product they had this year. I don't care any more about salary dumps until this ownership group or the next shows they're ready to reinvest.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Nightingale says Hosmer won't approve the trade.

I would start the DC chapter of the Eric Hosmer Fan Club if he held his ground, but he might think he has fans and take the deal

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Come on Hosmer, screw over the Padres!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
bowden says the deal doesn't hinge on Hosmer, others sayiing it does.

Offline Five Banners

I would start the DC chapter of the Eric Hosmer Fan Club if he held his ground, but he might think he has fans and take the deal

I think the Nats just capitulate further and make sure it gets done.  No No Nanette is not gonna pay for itself.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
On other hand, this would probably reduce prospect return which sucks.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
So tonight's game is now free to watch, on MLB.tv...

Wonder why?....(unless it's to televise any fan protests...)   ;)

Offline imref

Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
There are no active negotiations going on with Eric Hosmer and the #Padres after he rejected the trade to the #Nats.

Offline Natsinpwc

bowden says the deal doesn't hinge on Hosmer, others sayiing it does.
I’m sure there is a fallback. The Nats can’t  keep Soto now.

Offline Five Banners

I’m sure there is a fallback. The Nats can’t  keep Soto now.

Again, no no Nanette will not pay for itself, so they need to make a worse deal stat. Priorities!

Offline imref

Bob Nightengale  @BNightengale
now
The Juan Soto deal is done with the #Padres, and does NOT include Eric Hosmer.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
If the Nats were going to only cover the remainder of Hosmer’s salary for the year, could they just include that amount in cash in the deal and the Padres just DFA Hosmer? Wouldn’t solve the lux tax issue though.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Bob Nightengale  @BNightengale
now
The Juan Soto deal is done with the #Padres, and does NOT include Eric Hosmer.
If prospect package doesn't change, this trade is still a disaster. But not the freaking disaster it was with Hosmer.

I don't like profanity in posts. So, I would prefer to not use that adjective.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Such a garbage return for Soto

Offline imref

Talknats projects our top prospects:
1. Robert Hassell
2. Cade Cavalli
3. James Wood
4. Brady House
5. Cristhian Vaquero
6. Elijah Green
7. Jeremy De La Rosa
8. Cole Henry
9. Armando Cruz
10. Jarlin Susana
11. Andry Lara
12. Mitchell Parker
13. Matt Cronin
14. Jackson Rutledge
15. T.J. White

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
If the Padres pull a single freaking prospect over Hosmer denial, cancel the deal Rizzo. You have five hours.

Offline Five Banners

Such a garbage return for Soto

The priority apparently became moving him now over just about every other consideration, and it looks like word got around about that. Franchise killing stuff seems to be accelerating

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
ESPN rating the trade deal as an A+.....for the Padres... ;)

Offline imref

Morosi and Nightingale are conflicting:
Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi
Sources: #Padres and Eric Hosmer’s representatives currently negotiating about what it would take for Hosmer to approve his trade to the #Nats. The Juan Soto/Josh Bell blockbuster — in its current form — is contingent on Hosmer’s assent. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Online Mattionals

You know, if the deal is going through without Hosmer and the package is the same, then I'm slightly less pissed at the return.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
You know, if the deal is going through without Hosmer and the package is the same, then I'm slightly less pissed at the return.
Psy op by Rizzo to make us less angry.

Thankfully, my level of anger is so high that this would bring it down maybe 5%.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/fg_prospects/status/1554504158991900672?s=21&t=0v_ZA2yXg4gURSH4dthf9g

@FangrahsProspects Washington moves from 24th to 8th in the live farm system rankings. If you were to include recently-graduated MacKenzie Gore in the calculus, they'd move to 5th. fangraphs.com/prospects/the-…

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I think I'll be even more pissed if Hosmer is removed and the package stays the same... that means the Nats braintrust actually wanted Hosmer and his anchor contract.