Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11644 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Chelsea Janes
So… Abrams and Garcia up the middle, Ruiz behind the plate, Gore/Cavalli in the rotation, Hassell/Wood on the way. Hosmer around for a few more years. House/Green chance to develop. If you brought your binoculars, you might be able to see something resembling a core there.

I totally agree with this. The future looks brighter than it did two hours ago. But we traded Barry Bonds and the 6th best fWAR 1B in baseball. And took a huge contract back.

The Nationals gave up a ton. And that return just isn't enough.

If I'm a Cardinals, Dodgers, or Mariners fan right now, I'm actually pissed off my FO didn't beat this.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I really don't see how Hosmer agrees to this deal unless the Nats already have a plan in place to trade him to a contender.

to add: Morosi says the Nats are on Hosmer's "no trade" list.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
I really don't see how Hosmer agrees to this deal unless the Nats already have a plan in place to trade him to a contender.
Or just eat his contract and cut him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Happy Post #5000

And Hosmer is piss poor defensively with an OPS barely above .700. We could have put Yadiel Hernandez at 1B and had a better player under team control for less than 10% of Hosmer contract.

This is only because they want to give some bullcrap line about, "Hosmer helps us into future." freak all the way off with that.

Thanks.  And Yadiel Hernandez at first would make Hosmer look like Keith Hernandez. 

You can't just teach outfielders in their 30s to play 1B.  1B is the easiest infield position, but it's still way harder skills wise than either corner OF spot.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Or just eat his contract and cut him.
If there's anything that could make me smile, it would not be watching him hit singles for next two years.

Offline Section214

to add: Morosi says the Nats are on Hosmer's "no trade" list.

Fight the good fight Eric.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Ken Rosenthal out there reporting Hosmer yet to waive his no trade.

Give them hell, Hosmer!!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Ken Rosenthal out there reporting Hosmer yet to waive his no trade.

Give them hell, Hosmer!!

If Hosmer blocks this trade, I'll give him a one-man standing ovation the next time I see him play.

Offline Natsinpwc

He is awful. He was a clubhouse issue in San diego. He hits groundballs. He as refused to make swing adjustments multiple times.
2 WAR guy.  No one else to play there now. As you have said the team won’t be competing for years so what’s the worry.

Online imref

Nightingale says Hosmer won't approve the trade.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
2 WAR guy.  No one else to play there now. As you have said the team won’t be competing for years so what’s the worry.
Where are you seeing 2 WAR?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/eric-hosmer/3516/stats?position=1B

He is terrible.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Wood does look awesome

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He's not going to be a 2 WAR guy going forward.  Hasn't been since 2017.  He's just a potential victim of this trade and the moron who gave him that contract. 

He absolutely should block it.  Like, avoiding being traded like they're trying to do to him now is exactly why players negotiate no-trade clauses.

Online imref

FanGraphs Prospects
@FG_Prospects
Washington moves from 24th to 8th in the live farm system rankings. If you were to include recently-graduated MacKenzie Gore in the calculus, they'd move to 5th

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Again eat the money and redirect him elsewhere.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Yep. Cant wait until they let him go after four years of being a 4.50+ ERA pitcher, he converts to a reliever, and is one of the best relievers in baseball

Maybe lol. But a package without him would have been awful. Callis is high on him

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Told you they'd do it.... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Again eat the money and redirect him elsewhere.

Where?  He'd have trouble getting a major league contract even if he were a free agent.

Offline UMDNats

Just a reminder that Mark Lerner inducted himself into the DC Hall of Fame this weekend. Legend!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Where?  He'd have trouble getting a major league contract even if he were a free agent.
Literally anywhere that isn’t on his no trade list. They aren’t obligated to keep him around either; they just need to facilitate the deal and can then dump him too.

Offline UMDNats

Wood does look awesome

He's possibly the best prospect in the trade and a top-25 overall prospect in a year.

Offline Natsinpwc

He's possibly the best prospect in the trade and a top-25 overall prospect in a year.
I hope so and that Preller made a mistake letting him go.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
So JimBo says the Nats are only paying this year of Hosmer’s salary and the Padres are eating the rest.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Literally anywhere that isn’t on his no trade list. They aren’t obligated to keep him around either; they just need to facilitate the deal and can then dump him too.

I don't think they can do that without violating the no-trade.  Like, he can't be traded to the Nats for even an instant, and it's pretty hard to come up with a transaction where Hosmer's money ends up with Washington without his rights ever landing there.  The MLBPA would throw an absolute fit - and rightfully so.