Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11028 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
That same deal is available in the offseason though. Like none of those players values is going to dramatically increase over the next two months. I suspect that Gore and Abrams will decrease.
This is the deal where you say, "freak off until the offseason"

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That same deal is available in the offseason though. Like none of those players values is going to dramatically increase over the next two months. I suspect that Gore and Abrams will decrease.

This. 

And pretty much not much else to say.  You'd at least get a read on how bad Gore's hurt. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Wait we got Gore also?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Yep. Which to me, the favor is already in trading Soto for so little
Taking Hosmer should have added another prospect to the pile. Whatever it would have taken to convince another team to straight up absorb him.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
If we get Hosmer, do they get Corbin?
No, because we did them a solid for some unknown reason. If they can't eat the luxury tax, too damn bad. They don't get Barry Bonds.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

No, because we did them a solid for some unknown reason. If they can't eat the luxury tax, too damn bad. They don't get Barry Bonds.

Yeah.  WTF. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
I have hated the new baseball rules over the last few years. Hate the DH in the NL. Hate the Extra Innings rules

I didn't mind Harper leaving, nor Max and Trea. Happy for Rendon

Soto leaving... I think I'll just watch Racing. To hell with Baseball

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
"Nats have a deal to trade Soto to the Padres"
« Reply #58: August 02, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
Dougherty reports:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/02/juan-soto-trade/

Breaking: The Washington Nationals have a deal in place to send Juan Soto to the San Diego Padres for a package that includes multiple highly ranked prospects, according to multiple people with knowledge of the matter. The deal will also send first baseman Josh Bell to San Diego.

Offline Five Banners

The reasoning seems to be the only one that would make sense is the (potentially shortsighted) priorities of Nationals current and future ownership. What a bad joke.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
If Rizzo was forced into this trade, he should have resigned.

Offline Natsinpwc

I will think the worst and hope for the best. Knowing their GM is not very good gives me a bit of hope. But generally thinking this was forced by owners who will be slinking away from MLB.

Offline stoneghost28

If we are going to look on a bright side mixed in, I should add that we did get some legit pieces in this in terms of prospects w/legit upside, 3 of their top 5, plus a wild card in Gore, who is a former top overall caliber prospect before the roof caved in, and might turn it around (worth going after Guardians coaches to fix him in the offseason), but yeah, it's what, 3 top 100 prospects plus wild card Gore.

My problem remains that we took on a bad contract and threw in Bell, and appear to have gotten nothing for doing so (I know there story would be different but so what). Soto alone should have gotten that haul, the Hosmer Deal and Bell should have gotten us more goodies. Period.

The prospect haul is the biggest one in forever but it carries plenty of risk as everyone knows, and the Padres system guys have been very hit and miss, but that's true of most prospects coming up anyway, so I'm not sure how seriously I'd take that.

The one thing I'm married to is cleaning out the organization w/a vacuum after everyone is s canned in winter '22-'23, I don't want any in house guys being a part of their development, nor the rebuild with the top 3 picks we'll have in the '23 and '24 drafts (probably '25 as well). We need the clown car out.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm sad to see Soto go. Now my hope is the new owners sign him back in a few years. Pipe dream, I'm sure, but that's what I'm hoping for. Sad day for Nats fans...  :'(

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He's not a good player, but he's not as bad as putting Maikel Franco or his ilk over there for an open-ended period.  The contract is the problem.

Oh, and I would be absolutely fuming if I were Hosmer.
Happy Post #5000

And Hosmer is piss poor defensively with an OPS barely above .700. We could have put Yadiel Hernandez at 1B and had a better player under team control for less than 10% of Hosmer contract.

This is only because they want to give some bullcrap line about, "Hosmer helps us into future." freak all the way off with that.

Offline Section214

But generally thinking this was forced by owners who will be slinking away from MLB.

I keep seeing people saying things along these lines, but why? Why would ownership want to force out Soto? It makes no sense. If they had used him to shed Corbin/Stras salary because they are cheap, sure, but if they are selling the team at the end of the year, why not just pass the buck to the next owner? It makes no sense to me.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
If we are going to look on a bright side mixed in, I should add that we did get some legit pieces in this in terms of prospects w/legit upside, 3 of their top 5, plus a wild card in Gore, who is a former top overall caliber prospect before the roof caved in, and might turn it around (worth going after Guardians coaches to fix him in the offseason), but yeah, it's what, 3 top 100 prospects plus wild card Gore.

My problem remains that we took on a bad contract and threw in Bell, and appear to have gotten nothing for doing so (I know there story would be different but so what). Soto alone should have gotten that haul, the Hosmer Deal and Bell should have gotten us more goodies. Period.

The prospect haul is the biggest one in forever but it carries plenty of risk as everyone knows, and the Padres system guys have been very hit and miss, but that's true of most prospects coming up anyway, so I'm not sure how seriously I'd take that.

The one thing I'm married to is cleaning out the organization w/a vacuum after everyone is s canned in winter '22-'23, I don't want any in house guys being a part of their development, nor the rebuild with the top 3 picks we'll have in the '23 and '24 drafts (probably '25 as well). We need the clown car out.
You're absolutely right there are some good piece. I'm high on CJ Abrams. Wood and Hassell are legit prospects. Jarlin Susana may be our second best pitching prospect. Gore, if the medicals are clean, may be our opening day starter next year. That is all good.

But it isn't enough for Soto. Plus Bell. Plus saving them from Hosmer. The Padres gave us their Corbin.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Jesse D says the deal is done:

Breaking: The Washington Nationals have a deal in place to send Juan Soto to the San Diego Padres for a package that includes multiple highly ranked prospects, according to multiple people with knowledge of the matter. The deal will also send first baseman Josh Bell to San Diego.

Does not know yet who the Nats will get from the Padres.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/02/juan-soto-trade/

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Perhaps the Nats could absorb Hosmer the contract and send Hosmer the actual guy elsewhere if he won’t sign off on the deal.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Wait we got Gore also?
Yep. Cant wait until they let him go after four years of being a 4.50+ ERA pitcher, he converts to a reliever, and is one of the best relievers in baseball

Offline Natsinpwc

Getting Hosmer at least let’s you plug in someone half decent there when the team has no one else. He is 1.3 WAR so he is not terrible. The salary is really not an issue as we are so far below the luxury tax line.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Heyman:

James Wood is thought to have been the lynchpin of this deal. Padres did not want to give him up. Class A OF who’s been compared to Willie McCovey. Padres should get credit here mostly for gathering so many great prospects.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Getting Hosmer at least let’s you plug in someone half decent there when the team has no one else. He is 1.3 WAR so he is not terrible. The salary is really not an issue as we are so far below the luxury tax line.
He is awful. He was a clubhouse issue in San diego. He hits groundballs. He as refused to make swing adjustments multiple times.

Offline Five Banners

I keep seeing people saying things along these lines, but why? Why would ownership want to force out Soto? It makes no sense. If they had used him to shed Corbin/Stras salary because they are cheap, sure, but if they are selling the team at the end of the year, why not just pass the buck to the next owner? It makes no sense to me.

Corporate hatchet man logic, perhaps? Clear out assets for good or ill by a certain timeline, then take over and potentially flip / liquidate down the line? And wouldn’t an entity with that game plan likely continue to work towards that potential flip/liquidation by paring down even more in the years to come?

Would anybody be shocked to the core if Lerner the younger and the ownership committee would be setting the team up for that? Would they honestly hesitate to sell to a Bob Short type if it suited their interests of selling right now, perhaps including cutting some sort of deal on the tied-up MASN money?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Heyman:

Lolololol I love comparing single A dudes to legends. It’s never not hilarious.