Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11982 times)

Offline stoneghost28

It's definitely not great. If we get Gore in it as some rumors suggest, it's better than originally rumored, but still not what one would have hoped. This is basically a haul you get for the best rental at the deadline, not the best player to be available in a trade at this age ever with multiple years of control.

That's what bothers me, that its basically an average haul for the best guy whose a FA the following winter. This aint that so we should have cleaned up, that we appear to have taken on a bad contract, AND thrown in Bell makes it criminal.

I'm 100% in favor of ejecting them all out of the building the second the new ownership comes in. Bring in a legit analytics team, and offer triple salaries to guys running the Dodgers, Guardians type systems etc.

No more dinosaurs.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
We freaking saved them from Hosmer contract? And don’t get more than that?

This is a disaster of a return.

Offline UMDNats

Final deal:
Nats receive:

Pitcher  McKenzie Gore
SS CJ Abrams
OF Robert Hassell III
Pitcher James Wood
Pitcher Jarlin Susana
1B Eric Hosmer

This isn't terrible, Hassell and Abrams are potential stars. Hosmer isn't much of a drop-off from Bell and sets us up at 1B for the next 3 years unless he's also traded. I don't know much about Wood or Susana

And it moves Garcia to 2B.

james wood is an outfielder

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Just absolutely heartbreaking. I never believed it would happen and we ended up with the worst of the theoretical deals being thrown around. Oh and we threw in our only other valuable trade piece.

I think I am done until a new owner comes in. This is a devastating day.

They have no interest in winning. Everyone should’ve seen this coming when they refused to pay Harper, Rendon and Turner. We’re a team just like the Marlins now. This is what we are. Just traded a 23-year old HoF for a some lottery tickets. Sigh.

Offline Five Banners

This is the kind of deal a GM should do because he works for the owner, then resign to preserve his dignity.  This is just soul-crushingly awful.  They could quite easily end up with zero even average major leaguers from that package.

And that it may well be that the haste and the whole environment and leaks may have been driven by a new ownership doing everything it could to have this done now rather than wait until the offseason. And if that what is the source of it, it may well be that things are not even close to hitting the bottom that they might hit as far as the priorities of competitiveness going forward. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Waiting on Hosmer's approval to finalize the deal. Hosmer and Soto are both represented by Boras ironically.

Why would Hosmer approve this?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So we cant add salary in the offseason and we cant just take on Hosmer in a trade for Bell, but now we can do it?

Offline Slateman

There is no way the new owners didnt approve this.

Offline Five Banners

There is no way the new owners didnt approve this.

Absolutely cannot fathom that they’re not the ones driving this.

Offline NatsLSU

The life of a DC sports fan. Leonsis lucked into a Cup with a generational talent, but that old tool doesn't care about winning at all. Look at them locking up Beal to a ridiculous contract with no real competition. Snyder was willing to spend but is a terrible human being and can't seem to get out of his own way of meddling with the team. Hopefully we get blessed with a good owner for the Nats going forward, but dang a bit of a let down.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Trying to stay calm on this. That return, minus Hosmer, for Soto would have had me wishing for more, but understanding it probably was best bet.

Sending them Bell along with Soto and taking Hosmer back is an absolute disaster. Even if they send money back with Hosmer, disaster. I'd rather Yadiel Hernandez could have been taught 1B and been better than Hosmer.

I'm not going to spout off some "I'm no longer a fan" bullcrap, but this is a freaking disaster.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

We freaking saved them from Hosmer contract? And don’t get more than that?

This is a disaster of a return.

I don't hate Hosmer as a player or person, but this will just lead to the Lerners pleading poverty until they sell the team to some poor slop with now one more millstone contract.  Like, WTF?  I could see taking Myers as his contract is expiring, but Hosmer's?

Offline Section214

Could have at least thrown in PTBNL - Dylan Lesko to lessen my heartbreak, although I don't think any package would have

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Absolutely cannot fathom that they’re not the ones driving this.

If so, welcome to the Washington Pirates.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I don't hate Hosmer as a player or person, but this will just lead to the Lerners pleading poverty until they sell the team to some poor slop with now one more millstone contract.  Like, WTF?  I could see taking Myers as his contract is expiring, but Hosmer's?
He's freaking terrible and owned another $40 million. We could find his production on the waiver wires. They just wanted a name in return.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Absorb Moose from Cincinnati and play him, Alcides, and Hosmer to pretend that the Nats are actually the 2015 Royals.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So what is the lineup when these guys arrive?

C- Ruiz
1B - Hosmer
2B - Garcia
SS - Abrams
3B - still franco?
LF - Yadi, barring further moves
CF - Robles
RF - Thomas?

Finnegan not in the deal?

Offline Slateman

Trying to stay calm on this. That return, minus Hosmer, for Soto would have had me wishing for more, but understanding it probably was best bet.

Sending them Bell along with Soto and taking Hosmer back is an absolute disaster. Even if they send money back with Hosmer, disaster. I'd rather Yadiel Hernandez could have been taught 1B and been better than Hosmer.

I'm not going to spout off some "I'm no longer a fan" bullcrap, but this is a freaking disaster.
That same deal is available in the offseason though. Like none of those players values is going to dramatically increase over the next two months. I suspect that Gore and Abrams will decrease.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
He's freaking terrible and owned another $40 million. We could find his production on the waiver wires. They just wanted a name in return.
No it’s doing the Padres a favor by allowing them to dodge the luxury tax.

Offline Slateman

Also, fun fact, Gore and Wood are both Boras clients. So we'll be right back here in like 4 years

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Can’t get away from Boras, can we.

Offline Slateman

No it’s doing the Padres a favor by allowing them to dodge the luxury tax.
Yep. Which to me, the favor is already in trading Soto for so little

Offline Five Banners

The life of a DC sports fan. Leonsis lucked into a Cup with a generational talent, but that old tool doesn't care about winning at all. Look at them locking up Beal to a ridiculous contract with no real competition. Snyder was willing to spend but is a terrible human being and can't seem to get out of his own way of meddling with the team. Hopefully we get blessed with a good owner for the Nats going forward, but dang a bit of a let down.

It looked like a real bidding war was shaping up when the team was first coming here, but Selig evidently cut all that off with the unnecessary Angelos deal as well as cutting off bidding at $600 million and essentially handpicking Lerner.

Now, with a 15 year old Stadium with access issues and no naming rights, the MASN albatross still being unresolved and resulting in underfunding of the team, would it be surprising that we see the steam sold to somebody with no interest in the market or fan base but just trying to put an asset in a portfolio? And wouldn’t it fit with what has happened with this market with rare exceptions?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He's not a good player, but he's not as bad as putting Maikel Franco or his ilk over there for an open-ended period.  The contract is the problem.

Oh, and I would be absolutely fuming if I were Hosmer.

Offline DPMOmaha

If we get Hosmer, do they get Corbin?