Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11047 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Done deal per Heyman

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

There’s your franchise rebuilding haul the “he needs to be traded crew” wanted. What an utter embarrassment this franchise is. The Lerners can’t be gone soon enough. I think I’m taking a break from this team. They have no interest in winning.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Juan Soto traded to the Padres
« Reply #2: August 02, 2022, 11:53:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1554494977719144451?s=21&t=pZzivSEqx8YSGWKN1QTq8w

I’d have accepted this package for Soto. Really tough for him plus Bell.

Offline Five Banners

I can't believe that's the final deal. That's insanely light.

OK sounds like it's not the final deal.

Seems like marching orders work to make a deal now, no? It’s got me wondering if it’s the hedge fund guy whose in the lead for the team, and return to prominence is nowhere on the radar compared with bottom line. Might be looking at franchise killing stuff right here.

Offline Mattionals

Online imref

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1554494977719144451?s=21&t=pZzivSEqx8YSGWKN1QTq8w

I’d have accepted this package for Soto. Really tough for him plus Bell.

Nats receive:
Pitcher  McKenzie Gore
SS CJ Abrams
OF Robert Hassell III
Pitcher James Wood
Pitcher Jarlin Susana

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If I'm one of about 10 GMs who could do better than that package, I'd be seriously thinking about picking up the phone.  Even if I'm one of that group who isn't contending this season.  That's a horrible package even for two years of Soto.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1554495295966351362?s=21&t=csCas4Omy0EDYPS83ei9fg

The package going back to Washington for Juan Soto and Josh Bell, sources tell ESPN:

- LHP MacKenzie Gore
- OF Robert Hassell III
- SS C.J. Abrams
- OF James Wood
- RHP Jarlin Susana
- one more major league player

That's the only holdup right now to the agreed-upon deal.

Offline UMDNats

James Wood is an OF and local kid. Looks like an absolute stud.

Sounds like we're getting another MLB player, too, so we'll see.

It's about what was rumored but I guess hard not to be underwhelmed. I was hoping to take Hosmer/Myers and include Bell to get another couple top-30 guys.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That's an awful package even for 2 years of Soto, let alone 2+ of him plus a Bell rental.

Online imref

Passan says one more major leaguer will be part of the package. Hosmer?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Passan says one more major leaguer will be part of the package. Hosmer?

If they want to jam him in, they'd need to include more prospects because of the contract.  I think they're more likely haggling over Preller trying to jam in Morejon and someone rational wanting a guy who's actually a major league player.

Offline UMDNats

Rizzo freaked us one last time. Thanks for the memories, Mike. Go back to Scottsdale.

Online Slateman

I guess Mike Rizzo never wants to work on basebalk again

Online imref

As far as rankings, Nats receive the Padres No. 1, 2, 4 and 10 prospects as ranked by Baseball America, and 3 of the top 100 prospects overall.

Online Slateman

Rizzo freaked us one last time. Thanks for the memories, Mike. Go back to Scottsdale.
He's never going to get a job in baseball again

Offline stoneghost28

Barry whathisface seemed to imply that Gore is the other major leaguer. But I see nobody else saying that yet.

This was precisely why I posted yesterday that I was worried Bell would be bundled in to the Soto deal, that he'd be a throw in that didn't garner legit value and boom, looks like that's exactly what happened.

If Gore is included, it makes it better, but it's still underwhelming. 3 of Padres top 5 prospects isn't bad, but I'd rather have gotten it done with Dodgers. Surprised Dodgers didn't go for it.

Online imref

Hosmer is part of the deal per Hayman

Offline Mattionals

He's never going to get a job in baseball again

Come on, that isn't true. Kenny Williams hired Tony LaRussa to manage in the 2020s. Mike Rizzo will ABSOLUTELY get to go be President of Baseball Ops somewhere.

Offline UMDNats

Come on, that isn't true. Kenny Williams hired Tony LaRussa to manage in the 2020s. Mike Rizzo will ABSOLUTELY get to go be President of Baseball Ops somewhere.

Hopefully it's in our division

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
I guess if ownership isn't willing to pony up and you're negotiating with Boras this is what you have to do but it's soul crushing.

Offline Section214

Just absolutely heartbreaking. I never believed it would happen and we ended up with the worst of the theoretical deals being thrown around. Oh and we threw in our only other valuable trade piece.

I think I am done until a new owner comes in. This is a devastating day.

Online imref

Final deal:
Nats receive:

Pitcher  McKenzie Gore
SS CJ Abrams
OF Robert Hassell III
Pitcher James Wood
Pitcher Jarlin Susana
1B Eric Hosmer

This isn't terrible, Hassell and Abrams are potential stars. Hosmer isn't much of a drop-off from Bell and sets us up at 1B for the next 3 years unless he's also traded. I don't know much about Wood or Susana

And it moves Garcia to 2B.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I guess if ownership isn't willing to pony up and you're negotiating with Boras this is what you have to do but it's soul crushing.

This is the kind of deal a GM should do because he works for the owner, then resign to preserve his dignity.  This is just soul-crushingly awful.  They could quite easily end up with zero even average major leaguers from that package.