Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 12019 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Preller always is at least trying super hard. Has made some dumbazz moves like the Hosmer contract and inexplicably trading Ty France for nothing, but I like that he swings for the fences and that ownership lets him.

I mean Rizzo also does. He traded away our farm during our run and then traded a 23 year old HOFer, Turner, and Scherzer to restock it. He has some similarities to Preller. Nats fandom has been very boom or bust.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I’ll be in DC in November for a couple of days so if you bums can put it together I’ll pick up the food tab at CCSP for a WNFF meetup. We can discuss how sweet it was to see the Padres lose in the play in game and AJ Preller looking sad in MAN DIEGO over chicken tenders and piss beer.

I'd enter the war zone for this.  Been a few years.

Online Natsinpwc

First they have to make it there, obviously, but if they do and then manage to advance, I'm not throwing any hatred at them. Anyone else tired of the damned Dodgers always being the team to beat? Wouldn't bother me a bit to see SD win the WS for that matter, even though I totally can't stand Manny Machado.
It’s basically 4 teams for three remaining spots. NL central and the last two wild cards. Brewers. Cards. Padres. Phillies. Currently the Padres are on the driver seat.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It’s basically 4 teams for three remaining spots. NL central and the last two wild cards. Brewers. Cards. Padres. Phillies. Currently the Padres are on the driver seat.

And Tatis is heading out for a rehab assignment soon and will likely be back in a few weeks.

Online Natsinpwc

And Tatis is heading out for a rehab assignment soon and will likely be back in a few weeks.
There will be so much preening on that team.

Offline UMDNats

No schtick - this wasn’t a bad trade for either team. The Nats get some potential franchise changing talent at best and some good parts at worst. Gore could end up being a great starter or a “what could have been” if he continues getting injured. The Padres got a potential HOF bat that may or may not resign in two plus seasons. AJ Preller had to do something this season before he got his walking papers after all of the investments ownership and the fans have made with no post-season success.

MDS posting baseball content again?

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
I plan on watching the padres game tonight.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Rizzo on the Junkies this morning says that Boras/Soto never made a counter-offer, which led them to believe he didn't want to stay and accelerated their effort to trade him.

For comparison:
Trout: 12/426.5, AAV 35.5
Lindor: 10/341, 34.1
Seager: 10/325, 32.5
Betts: 12/365, 30.4
Soto offer: 15/440, 29.3
Harper: 13/330, 25.3
Stanton: 13/325, 25
Tatis: 14/340, 24.2

Seems pretty obvious Boras wasn't taking anything shy of Trout money.  Will anyone else offer Soto that?

His counter offer was Scherzer AAV. Just because it wasn’t what Rizzo wanted to hear doesn’t mean it wasn’t a counter offer.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I’ll be in SLAM DIEGO the first week of September when the D-Bags are in town. By that point the Padres are either going to playing for the division to a decent crowd or I’ll be sitting behind home plate for $25.

Online imref

I’ll be in SLAM DIEGO the first week of September when the D-Bags are in town. By that point the Padres are either going to playing for the division to a decent crowd or I’ll be sitting behind home plate for $25.

it's a beautiful park, enjoy

Offline stoneghost28

I don’t know why you expected a big haul for a guy you said is nowhere near as good as Trout and some others. LOL.

I think I would have preferred the Cards package also but some of that is bias about the organizations systems. My preference was to wait till the off-season to get more teams involved but the Nats thought differently. At least we get to watch a new SS and SP and maybe some others down the road. The team sale cannot happen soon enough.

Yesterday my b fest was largely about:
#1 My fear, realized, that we would bundle in Bell like a mark at the table, so we didnt have to do a stare down to get what we wanted. It's just my argument, but my fear was that he would be tossed in so the GM wouldn't have to do the work of staring down Preller to 6pm eastern time. He just wanted his guys w/o any fuss, and he threw in Bell to eliminate the fuss and fight (that's how I feel, could be wrong). I feared that would happen (the tossing in of Bell, have no proof of my theory on why), and it did.

#2 Taking on a crap ton of salary for no major additions to the deal.

That combined, to me, was basically worth 2-3 prospects that we didn't get which is why I was nagging and why I argued. that while the offer was good enough for Soto, it wasn't good enough for adding a bad contract and throwing Bell in to boot (who himself was worth a top 10, and a 15th-30th caliber prospect). You guys disabused me of that notion when you confirmed that we wouldn't take on all of the Hosmer contract, just a small portion so the irritation was mitigated to a degree and it became just about the Bell throw in.

#3 Listening too much to the Gore is totally ----ed, and a bust argument until I read Law's breakdown.
Law's breakdown plugs in the risk (a lot of issues in '20/'21, injurys and rebuilt mechanics, but it also takes into account the raw stuff, which is ridiculous, and it takes on the argument that sucked this year, when in fact, if you break things down, it is more than reasonable that a good portion of his bad pitching came in the lead up to his elbow putting him on the DL, and the excellent pitching was when he was healthy and suffering no issues with his arm. That makes a risk, no doubt, and a large one, but also a guy who still has what made him the #1 lefty prospect, and a top 2-3 overall prospect in the game 2 years ago before injuries and mechanics problems sidelined him.

If you take that into account, then the sunnier side of the argument really plays: when I've seen blockbusters, its typically been two top 10 guys, or top 5, and then speculative guys ranked 15th-30th in a system with high ceilings and low floors.

In this deal we basically peeled off four of the top 5 prospects from the Padres system in the '20-'22 era, plus their best, and the best, 18 year old pitcher in the very long range, early stages of a prospects career.

That's as big of a prospect scalping as I've seen, in the moment, rather than long term.

I don't see how the Cardinals offer comes close to that one, but it is worth noting that I'm a big swinger when it comes to this, I like upside, not floor, especially when you're system is trash. We're going to have back to back to back classes in '22-'23-'24 where we have top 3ish picks, and pick at the tops of rounds, and we can aim for high floors if we want to then (I do not, they did that in '21 and apparently that class is straight ---, other than House).

Anyway, I'd rather have pulled from the Dodgers system, but this haul, beyond the Bell angle, is definitely as good as I could have expected, all things considered (and it's also worth noting that at least some of the frustration was a product of anger at the initial rumored offer that didn't even include Gore, and only later did reports add him-people tend to focus on their initial feeling, so at least some, did not compensate at all for the fact that we also got a piece, initially not reported, that was one of the most valuable in all of baseball two years ago, and still ranked top 3-4 in Fangraphs and Law's rankings this spring and late winter respectively), is the biggest haul I've ever seen. Worth noting that both Passan and Law argued yesterday that if a team was going to trade away a player like this, this was a MASSIVE haul for such a trade, not a weak sauce offer, or a reasonable one.

I'm annoyed because of Bell, but beyond that, I tend to agree.

I suspect that we hit on 2 of 3 positional players, and have a 60/40 chance of getting a real useful pitcher between the two of them, the pitching angle may be a little bit too much of wishful thinking, just because of Gore's injury history and the kid's age.

Offline hohoho

Who the freak was saying they have to trade Soto? No one was saying that.

Ive seen about half of Abrams time at the MLB level and quite a few of Gore's early starts. The metrics on Gore are quite clear. He was getting lucky. Now he's hurt. Again. This time its an elbow after new pitching mechanics.

Defensively, Abrams can get by at short. But he isnt a standout. His arm isnt very strong. Actually reminds me of Turner in some regards.

Your right, I dont know. Statistically speaking, these guys are busts. Go look back 5-10 years about the top 10 prospects. Particularly the super toolsy guys and pitchers. Its not great
The problem is, the Nats didn’t even get one proven MLB player, just pigs in a poke.
Last year they traded two probable HOFers for a second-rate catcher and a third-rate pitcher, not real MLBplayers. Once you get past the first dozen top prospects, it’s a crap shoot.
Rizzo was taken again.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Yesterday my b fest was largely about:
#1 My fear, realized, that we would bundle in Bell like a mark at the table, so we didnt have to do a stare down to get what we wanted. It's just my argument, but my fear was that he would be tossed in so the GM wouldn't have to do the work of staring down Preller to 6pm eastern time. He just wanted his guys w/o any fuss, and he threw in Bell to eliminate the fuss and fight (that's how I feel, could be wrong). I feared that would happen (the tossing in of Bell, have no proof of my theory on why), and it did.

#2 Taking on a crap ton of salary for no major additions to the deal.

That combined, to me, was basically worth 2-3 prospects that we didn't get which is why I was nagging and why I argued. that while the offer was good enough for Soto, it wasn't good enough for adding a bad contract and throwing Bell in to boot (who himself was worth a top 10, and a 15th-30th caliber prospect). You guys disabused me of that notion when you confirmed that we wouldn't take on all of the Hosmer contract, just a small portion so the irritation was mitigated to a degree and it became just about the Bell throw in.

#3 Listening too much to the Gore is totally ----ed, and a bust argument until I read Law's breakdown.
Law's breakdown plugs in the risk (a lot of issues in '20/'21, injurys and rebuilt mechanics, but it also takes into account the raw stuff, which is ridiculous, and it takes on the argument that sucked this year, when in fact, if you break things down, it is more than reasonable that a good portion of his bad pitching came in the lead up to his elbow putting him on the DL, and the excellent pitching was when he was healthy and suffering no issues with his arm. That makes a risk, no doubt, and a large one, but also a guy who still has what made him the #1 lefty prospect, and a top 2-3 overall prospect in the game 2 years ago before injuries and mechanics problems sidelined him.

If you take that into account, then the sunnier side of the argument really plays: when I've seen blockbusters, its typically been two top 10 guys, or top 5, and then speculative guys ranked 15th-30th in a system with high ceilings and low floors.

In this deal we basically peeled off four of the top 5 prospects from the Padres system in the '20-'22 era, plus their best, and the best, 18 year old pitcher in the very long range, early stages of a prospects career.

That's as big of a prospect scalping as I've seen, in the moment, rather than long term.

I don't see how the Cardinals offer comes close to that one, but it is worth noting that I'm a big swinger when it comes to this, I like upside, not floor, especially when you're system is trash. We're going to have back to back to back classes in '22-'23-'24 where we have top 3ish picks, and pick at the tops of rounds, and we can aim for high floors if we want to then (I do not, they did that in '21 and apparently that class is straight ---, other than House).

Anyway, I'd rather have pulled from the Dodgers system, but this haul, beyond the Bell angle, is definitely as good as I could have expected, all things considered (and it's also worth noting that at least some of the frustration was a product of anger at the initial rumored offer that didn't even include Gore, and only later did reports add him-people tend to focus on their initial feeling, so at least some, did not compensate at all for the fact that we also got a piece, initially not reported, that was one of the most valuable in all of baseball two years ago, and still ranked top 3-4 in Fangraphs and Law's rankings this spring and late winter respectively), is the biggest haul I've ever seen. Worth noting that both Passan and Law argued yesterday that if a team was going to trade away a player like this, this was a MASSIVE haul for such a trade, not a weak sauce offer, or a reasonable one.

I'm annoyed because of Bell, but beyond that, I tend to agree.

I suspect that we hit on 2 of 3 positional players, and have a 60/40 chance of getting a real useful pitcher between the two of them, the pitching angle may be a little bit too much of wishful thinking, just because of Gore's injury history and the kid's age.
Glad you've relaxed a bit. One point on Josh Bell because I've seen a lot of people who were upset that he was just "thrown in." Josh Bell will be 30 in a couple weeks and he's having by far the best season of his career. We've seen this before and way more often than not, the player will regress to their norm. He's also a rental. All of that to say that Josh Bell really wasn't worth that much in a trade. You could have gotten one or two mid-tier prospects for him - not a single player as good as any of the five prospects we netted in this deal. If you don't like Bell being thrown into this deal, then you are quite frankly overvaluing him. By himself, he isn't worth a single prospect we got in this trade.

Offline The Chief

Wood Harrelson crying into a stack of money dot gif.

Offline UMDNats

My last in-person Nats game was during the NLDS in 2016, whatever the game was where Lobaton hit a HR and we won. It's pretty wild to me that Juan Soto literally came, won a World Series, and left, all before I saw another in-person game.

Online imref

Glad you've relaxed a bit. One point on Josh Bell because I've seen a lot of people who were upset that he was just "thrown in." Josh Bell will be 30 in a couple weeks and he's having by far the best season of his career. We've seen this before and way more often than not, the player will regress to their norm. He's also a rental. All of that to say that Josh Bell really wasn't worth that much in a trade. You could have gotten one or two mid-tier prospects for him - not a single player as good as any of the five prospects we netted in this deal. If you don't like Bell being thrown into this deal, then you are quite frankly overvaluing him. By himself, he isn't worth a single prospect we got in this trade.

Rizzo has said the return for Bell was Susana

Offline The Chief

My last in-person Nats game was during the NLDS in 2016, whatever the game was where Lobaton hit a HR and we won. It's pretty wild to me that Juan Soto literally came, won a World Series, and left, all before I saw another in-person game.

Without being too specific, where the heck have you been living?

Offline UMDNats

Without being too specific, where the heck have you been living?

I moved from NYC to Nashville in December 2016.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Not exactly. He said he had to throw Bell in to get Susana. Bell was worth part of one Susana and it got the deal done because Soto's value is so massive.

Offline 1995hoo

My problem now is what to do with my Mega Millions numbers, which use Nats jersey numbers and had 22 as the mega ball.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
My problem now is what to do with my Mega Millions numbers, which use Nats jersey numbers and had 22 as the mega ball.
Go back to 11. Zimmerman always plays in this town.

Offline stoneghost28

Thx.

My perception was that bell was worth a top 10 guy and a guy in that 15-30 zone, looks more like it was a bit towards the latter. I'll do that deal for Susana, the upside is more than worth it considering we can't turn his production into anything worthwhile long term.

Offline UMDNats

Thx.

My perception was that bell was worth a top 10 guy and a guy in that 15-30 zone, looks more like it was a bit towards the latter. I'll do that deal for Susana, the upside is more than worth it considering we can't turn his production into anything worthwhile long term.

A decent comp was that in 2013 & 2014, a lot of teams wanted Luis Severino from the Yankees. He wasn't above A-ball yet, but had really good numbers and people knew him, but he wasn't anywhere on the rankings. He wasn't even on the Yankees Top 30 in 2013, but had a 1.37 ERA in rookie ball and got a brief call-up to low-A as a 19-year-old.

The next year he was the team's top pitching prospect and basically untouchable. We basically just got a guy who could be a top-50 prospect (or better) by next summer.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Mike Rizzo, on reading this thread...

'Infamy, infamy, they've all got it-in for me!...'   ;)  (sorry -couldn't resist...)