Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11941 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
So since Zimmerman I’m 0/4 in jersey and shirsey selections for the fam. 1 Harper 1 Turner and 2 Soto. I don’t even wear gear, just go in whatever is comfortable.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
So we got John Voit instead of Hosmer. Did we get his car? 

I made that joke already :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Nice read. Since Gore has been thoroughly crapped on here, I’ll quote it

Here's the problem, in one sentence: he sucked; he fixed his delivery, and that caused him to get hurt.   Yes, he can get people out.  But can he get people out and also stay healthy?  That's a question I'd rather not stake the future of my team on being in the affirmative, given the recent experience with a certain Mr. Strasburg.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

mlb.com already updated our top 10, still no Green yet.
1. RHHIII
2. Cavalli
3. House
4. Wood
5. Henry
6. Rutledge
7. Vaquero
8. Susana
9. Lara
10. Carillo

Mostly everyone else got pushed down 3 spots. I updated the list in The Farm

Thou art a scholar and a gentleman.

Offline Five Banners

So since Zimmerman I’m 0/4 in jersey and shirsey selections for the fam. 1 Harper 1 Turner and 2 Soto. I don’t even wear gear, just go in whatever is comfortable.

May as well stick with Zimmerman.

Offline imref

Yeah. I can’t imagine buying a different one. Maybe Strasburg?

Offline hotshot

I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean "near future". Hassell is only 20 with very little seasoning, although he is tearing it up in AA right now. In any case, if Robles is somehow still around two or three years from now he will likely still be 4th outfielder material. Remember back when some were projecting him to out-do Soto?
Yep. IIRC, Marlins could've had Soto for Realmuto but were insisting on Robles instead. Nats wouldn't go for that.

Offline imref

Yep. IIRC, Marlins could've had Soto for Realmuto but were insisting on Robles instead. Nats wouldn't go for that.

Didn’t they want both?

Offline hotshot

Any chance Robles becomes Byron Buxton?
Interesting thought. There was indeed a time when Buxton looked pretty clueless at the plate.

Offline hotshot

Didn’t they want both?
You def could be right. I do recall though that it seemed they valued Robles more than Soto. How much more, idk.

Offline Five Banners

Yeah. I can’t imagine buying a different one. Maybe Strasburg?

That works, I don’t think we have to worry about him going anywhere

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Buy a Corbin

Offline imref

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Spend the money to get a fleet of the red curly W jersey, no names on the back.  Then check the what-to-wear-to-game box and forget about it.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Any chance Robles becomes Byron Buxton?
Sure. There IL stats could one day be similar

Offline catocony

Here is why you want Voit, rather than Hosmer: Voit hits better and is still on his original contract, as best I can tell.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/voitlu01.shtml
Voit is in his 2nd arbitration year now as a Super 2.  Next year is his 3rd year and 2024 is his 4th and final arbitration year.  He's a free agent after the 2024 season. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Voit is in his 2nd arbitration year now as a Super 2.  Next year is his 3rd year and 2024 is his 4th and final arbitration year.  He's a free agent after the 2024 season. 
Will still be paid less and perform better than Hosmer

Offline catocony

Agreed.  The overall package seems decent at this point.  My real disappointment for the day was that Rizzo couldn't unload some of the Caribbean League No-Star squad. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Sure.

So what happened with Hosmer. Is Bell going to be their DH.

Offline Kevrock

I mean I’ll never buy another jersey. This is for kids and family. Do they still sell Zim jerseys? Lol

Still, better sell for a kid “Here’s a guy you can root for”. Whatever, maybe nameless jerseys is where it’s at

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Sure.

So what happened with Hosmer. Is Bell going to be their DH.

Hosmer got shipped to Boston.

Offline Five Banners

I mean I’ll never buy another jersey. This is for kids and family. Do they still sell Zim jerseys? Lol

Still, better sell for a kid “Here’s a guy you can root for”. Whatever, maybe nameless jerseys is where it’s at

Bought my nephew a Zim one this year and cited the rationale of not having to watch him prospering elsewhere

Offline Kevrock

You should get a BUMS 20XX and die happy.

LOL @ Mike Rizzo. Too bad all of his hardcore supporters disappeared. This trade was awful and he should be ashamed.

Such a flyby master. Been plenty of roasting.

Offline van lingle mungo

Agreed.  The overall package seems decent at this point.  My real disappointment for the day was that Rizzo couldn't unload some of the Caribbean League No-Star squad.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise to you that those guys didn't move. Cruz is toast. Franco and C. Hernandez don't generate enough significant offense to make themselves attractive to any team that has playoff aspirations. Their bases are already covered. I like Cesar though. I wouldn't mind getting another year out of him