Author Topic: August 2nd, 22, a date that will live in Infamy: Juan Soto traded to the Padres  (Read 11042 times)

Offline stoneghost28

You're absolutely right there are some good piece. I'm high on CJ Abrams. Wood and Hassell are legit prospects. Jarlin Susana may be our second best pitching prospect. Gore, if the medicals are clean, may be our opening day starter next year. That is all good.

But it isn't enough for Soto. Plus Bell. Plus saving them from Hosmer. The Padres gave us their Corbin.

I agree which is why I added that to my post. If this was just for Soto, it wasn't a deal that blows me away, I'd need another top 5 prospect to be close to blown away, but it would have been reasonable. We basically got twice what we got for the Scherzer rental in terms of top prospects (4 versus 2), but my problem is, like you, they added Bell, who was supposed to give us somebodies top 5-8 prospect plus something in the top 30 or so AND we took on a huge salary, and what exactly did we get for any of that. Nada, which is insane to me. It feels to me like it's at least 3 top 30 prospects in the 10-30 short considering Bell and the bad contract, or at least 2 anyway.

This deal just looks like a Soto deal alone, but the Padres got extra. I can't help but wonder how much of are negotiating power was harmed by a sense that we had to sell amongst other teams?

Whatever, it's the current reality.

Now it feels like our farm system has a good and bad side, it's beginning to get a little top heavy w/some interesting prospects from the Padres and recent draftees, but it's also lacking in depth and quantity of prospects. I imagine this deal pushes us up from the 23rd to 26th zone to the 16th-20th zone.

I do like the ages in a way because I'd prefer to lose as little service time as possible. One of the problems with the Dodgers trade is the two best pieces were already MLB ready prospects and so we'd be wasting half of their pre-FA years to lost seasons in '21, '22, '23 and '24. Now I tend to think '25 is a likely lost cause season to but Im probably getting too far ahead of myself.

Regardless, I like the prospects we got back, 3 top 5 positional players from their system, including 2 that could be super elite, maybe all 3, in terms of prospect upside, plus the wild card Gore, whose probably useless unless we can get much better coaching in the system than the garbage we've got.

So we basically flushed everything of value out of the system the past two years, and acquired 5-6 (depending upon Gore's health and coming around) top 100 prospects, with all of them being top 50 caliber minus Gore due to the injuries if memory serves.

This team will be the worst in baseball in '22, probably in '23, and probably in '24.

So far we've gotten two very high upside guys for imploding in Brady House, and Elijah Green, though House's season has gone sideways in '22. The '21 class otherwise sounded like garbage, the '22 class seems a good chunk better, so hopefully '22 provides a good boost along w/the Padres assets.

We definitely need to clean house after this season, this wasn't a good enough haul, at least to me anyway, but I'm curious what the big boys think who aren't so invested, I trust them more than my own impressions and wouldn't be surprised if they looked at us peeling off a former top 5 overall prospect, plus 3 of their top 5 system guys, and viewing that as a reasonable haul, again, the major concern I have, like you, is that we did not get compensation for the throw ins (Bell and the Hosmer contract). That was and is b.s.

For the bitter fans in here, I hope you can become a fan of the USMNT and follow the kiddies as they begin their seasons.
Adams and Aaronson with Leeds
Pulisic with Chelsea
McKennie with Juventus
Musah with Valencia
Weah with Lille
Dest with Barcelona
Reyna with Dortmund
and so many more, they are exciting, it's the best collection of young talent by far in American history and if you're open to it, catching what they do in the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, and Ligue 1 and beyond. World Cup coming in November etc.

But regardless of that touch of marketing, for the bitter fans, this is basically, to me anyway, 2007 redux. A system bereft of talent, a big league club w/o pitching or hitting, it's rock bottom and because the farm is ---- too other than the '22 class, a couple of guys from the '15-'21 botched classes, and the Dodgers and Padres hauls, it's nearly impossible to believe that anything positive is likely to happen between 2022 and 2024 completed seasons other than watching prospect development and hopefully a ton of firings, and PRAYING that we don't go from mediocre to WORSE in terms of ownership (it's possible, none of us had a clue Snyder would be the monster he became when he was trying to buy, but the warning signs started that first summer, same with Leonsis, except with incompetence). Bad ownership is an anchor no team can overcome, so even w/these hauls, who actually buys is more important than the hauls themselves, if we get a bottom 5 caliber idiot owner, it will submarine even the miniscule hope we have as of now.