Author Topic: Non-Nats Trade Deadline deals  (Read 1021 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Non-Nats Trade Deadline deals
« Reply #25: August 29, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »
I think the biggest question is if you're in a pennant race why did the Orioles trade the hottest closer in baseball in Jorge Lopez. As it was if they were ahead after 6 innings it was pretty much over with Perez, Bautista and then Lopez.
Cus they didnt think the O's would sustain it.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #26: August 29, 2022, 09:43:18 PM »

Could be but so far they're wrong. I'm not an O's fan but they're still playing good baseball. It reminds me of the "79" team that came out of nowhere. The O's still have the highest rated minor league system even after bringing up Rutschman. Was it really that important to get more prospects instead of keeping your lights out closer in a pennant race. I have a feeling the way the Orioles operate money had something to do with it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: August 30, 2022, 08:30:12 AM »
they didn't realize that Adley Rutschman is the Messiah.  I've seen him turn salt and paprika into Old Bay, feed a crowd with
 just 7 crabcakes and a dozen Boogs cole slaws, and he's able to walk across 295 to speak to the multitudes at Pickles without his feet getting burned on the pavement.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: August 30, 2022, 09:20:43 AM »
I think the biggest question is if you're in a pennant race why did the Orioles trade the hottest closer in baseball in Jorge Lopez. As it was if they were ahead after 6 innings it was pretty much over with Perez, Bautista and then Lopez.

I assume they thought they could rely on Bautista as their closer going forward.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #29: August 30, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
they didn't realize that Adley Rutschman is the Messiah.  I've seen him turn salt and paprika into Old Bay, feed a crowd with
 just 7 crabcakes and a dozen Boogs cole slaws, and he's able to walk across 295 to speak to the multitudes at Pickles without his feet getting burned on the pavement.

LOL. In other words the dude can play.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #30: August 30, 2022, 10:34:52 AM »
I assume they thought they could rely on Bautista as their closer going forward.

They absolutely can rely on Bautista as their closer. The guy is lights out also. It just seems curious they would trade maybe the best closer in baseball during a pennant race when they're not hurting for prospects. The three at the backend together meant on most nights the O's had to only play 6 inning baseball.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #31: August 30, 2022, 11:32:33 AM »
They absolutely can rely on Bautista as their closer. The guy is lights out also. It just seems curious they would trade maybe the best closer in baseball during a pennant race when they're not hurting for prospects. The three at the backend together meant on most nights the O's had to only play 6 inning baseball.

Because they're smart enough to see that they're the fourth-best team in their own division.  When that's the talent level, there is just too much that has to go right for the pennant shot to turn into a reality.
 Yes, the expanded playoff format gives them an outside shot of making a Wild Card, but this isn't 1996 when a Wild Card is pretty much the same thing as winning your division.   It's not even 2019, when you can fluke a win in a single Wild Card game and move on. 

Look at Baltimore's realistic path if they make the playoffs: (1) a best of 3 against Cleveland, with all of them on the road; (2) if they win that first series, a best-of-5 (3 on the road) against the Yankees, against whom they're 5-11 this season; (3) if they're still alive, a road best-of-7 against the Astros, and only then the World Series.    That's a lot.  It's one thing when you're a talented team that has underachieved to get to the bottom seed.  It's quite different when you're an up and coming team that has overachieved to even get to the edge of playoff contention.  And when you're maybe 2 years away from really having something and  a couple extra prospects could matter in those years, I can totally see why they did what they did.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: August 30, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »
It's a lot closer to the NYY throwing up a white flag in 2016, trading Chapman and I think Miller, and tanking on the wild card, even though they were still in wild card contention and ended up making a big run with Sanchez hitting something like 20 homers in the last 2 months and Judge up too (although he was meh).

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #33: August 30, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
Because they're smart enough to see that they're the fourth-best team in their own division.  When that's the talent level, there is just too much that has to go right for the pennant shot to turn into a reality.
 Yes, the expanded playoff format gives them an outside shot of making a Wild Card, but this isn't 1996 when a Wild Card is pretty much the same thing as winning your division.   It's not even 2019, when you can fluke a win in a single Wild Card game and move on. 

Look at Baltimore's realistic path if they make the playoffs: (1) a best of 3 against Cleveland, with all of them on the road; (2) if they win that first series, a best-of-5 (3 on the road) against the Yankees, against whom they're 5-11 this season; (3) if they're still alive, a road best-of-7 against the Astros, and only then the World Series.    That's a lot.  It's one thing when you're a talented team that has underachieved to get to the bottom seed.  It's quite different when you're an up and coming team that has overachieved to even get to the edge of playoff contention.  And when you're maybe 2 years away from really having something and  a couple extra prospects could matter in those years, I can totally see why they did what they did.

Being the 4th best team in their division I would think they would want to accumulate as much talent as possible like Lopez who won't break the bank like a Soto would. Just seems strange.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #34: August 30, 2022, 04:31:48 PM »
Being the 4th best team in their division I would think they would want to accumulate as much talent as possible like Lopez who won't break the bank like a Soto would. Just seems strange.

Maybe, but Lopez is 29 and arb-eligible.  He's not going to be cheap for very long, especially relative to the number of innings.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: August 30, 2022, 04:51:26 PM »
Maybe, but Lopez is 29 and arb-eligible.  He's not going to be cheap for very long, especially relative to the number of innings.
There's an element of self-scouting in this, too.  I've not kept track day to day, but did the bullpen suffer a wave of blown saves this month?  They may have known they had adequate depth and that the sell-high time for a closer is the deadline. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: August 30, 2022, 07:48:24 PM »
LOL. In other words the dude can play.
Its clear that he makes pitchers better with his game calling and framing.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #37: August 30, 2022, 09:49:49 PM »

He's not eligible for free agency until 2025. He would still be under their control just when they're getting good. Their payroll is so low anyway. Baltimore talk radio was talking about them moving Lopez leading up to the day he was traded as if they knew something. Doesn't make sense to me.