Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jake Bennett, LHP  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Follow the Prospects: Jake Bennett, LHP
« Topic Start: July 18, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
Jake
Bennett
LHP, Oklahoma

HT
6' 6"

DRAFTED
2019, 39th (1173) - WSH
WT

TWITTER
@jbennett2121
Video scouting report »

Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 55 | Overall: 50

Bennett pitched with current Nationals top prospect Cade Cavalli at Bixby (Okla.) High and followed him to Oklahoma after turning down Washington as a 39th-round pick in 2019. They're a contrast in styles, with Cavalli a flame-throwing right-hander and Bennett a polished left-hander. While he won't emulate Cavalli by becoming a first-rounder out of college, Bennett could factor into the top two rounds after pitching the Sooners to the College World Series finals by winning four of his five postseason starts.

Bennett is more effective against right-handers than same-side hitters because his 82-85 mph changeup is a legitimate plus pitch that tumbles at the plate, and he uses it almost exclusively against righties. Although his four-seam fastball has touched 98 mph, it usually operates at 91-94 with some arm-side run, and he must locate it up in the zone to be effective. He uses a slider with similar velocity to his changeup against left-handers, and it lacks consistency while flashing solid sweep at times.

At 6-foot-6 and 234 pounds, Bennett is built to be a workhorse starter. He has an easy yet somewhat deceptive delivery that he repeats well, allowing him to pound the strike zone throughout his college career. He stands out more for his floor than his ceiling with a good chance of becoming a No. 4 or 5 starter.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/jake-bennett-687562

Offline Kevrock

Re: Follow the Prospects: Jake Bennett
« Reply #1: July 18, 2022, 09:47:42 AM »
OU is really cranking out pitching talent

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2: July 18, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »
Jake Bennett
Representative: NA
Signing Scout: NA

Bennett has been a big part of the Sooners’ strong 2022 campaign. The 6-foot-6 234-pound lefty has performed his way up draft boards this spring and has been a model of consistency for head coach Skip Johnson. Bennett is very efficient in his delivery. He has a bit of a longer takeback with some wrap and is on time with his front foot plant, releasing from a low three-quarters slot. With good extension out front, Bennett adds deception to his 91-94 mph fastball that can get up to 95. He likes to work both sides of the plate, and notches plenty of punchouts up in the zone, especially early in outings when his arm is fresh. Along with his fastball, he has a sweeping slider thrown in the 82-85 mph range that presents quite a problem for lefthanded hitters. Bennett has the ability to vary the break depending on the count, making it difficult for lefthanded hitters to lay off of it when it begins on the inner half and rides out of the zone. He will mix it in to righthanded hitters as well, busting them in on the hands when executed properly. He mostly throws his 82-84 mph changeup to righthanded hitters. Bennett is very effective locating the changeup on the outer rail, resulting in a lot of rollover swings and weak groundouts to the left side of the infield. In previous years, Bennett’s command had a tendency to come and go, which would get him in trouble at times with the self-inflicted busy innings. However, this spring has been a different story. He only surrendered 18 walks in his first 90 innings pitched while his strikeout total drastically increased, surpassing the century mark on the year during the Big 12 Tournament. Bennett joins a long line of Oklahoma pitchers that have transitioned from a talented thrower to a more polished pitcher under Johnson’s watch. The organization that drafts Bennett will be getting a mature arm who’s made the proper adjustments during his time in college.

From BA MLB Draft Database.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #3: July 18, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: July 18, 2022, 09:56:52 AM »
If the Nats had good player development, I'd like this pick a lot more.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #5: July 18, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »
He's already very developed tho

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #6: July 18, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
Jake Bennett, LHP– The Sooners ace is one of the few lefthanders on this season’s Heat Sheet. Touching 96 on radar guns, the 6-6 Bennett also has some of the sharpest control, walking just 22 batters in 117 IP to go along with 133 strikeouts this season. He repeats an easy delivery with good direction and leverages the ball to the plate which produces consistent 91-94 mph fastballs. His No. 1 shows some tailing life to his armside with some crossfire angle and run into right handed hitters when he goes gloveside. No matter the movement or location he can spot to both sides of the plate. His best secondary offering is a plus 83-85 mph sinking changeup, but the improvement with the depth of his slider has been a key reason (in addition to good health) for his draft helium. In two CWS starts that totaled 12.1 IP, he struck out 13 to go along with no walks. Once a midseason draft projection to the 4th-5th rounds, Bennett has turned into a prospect who is likely to be selected in the top two rounds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2022-07-13/12-mlb-draft-prospects-rising-board-after-2022-mens-college-world-series

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Jake Bennett, LHP
« Reply #7: July 18, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
Keith Law:
Jake Bennett, LHP, Oklahoma
Bennett is an extreme strike-thrower, with a walk rate under 5 percent and 68 percent of his pitches going for strikes this year, working mostly fastball/changeup. He’s 91-95 mph and comes from just below 3/4, getting slightly on the side of the ball to try to get more deception and glove-side movement to help him against lefties, while his changeup has some late tumble and gets a lot of whiffs from right-handed batters. His slider is a 40 without great spin or tilt, resulting in a reverse platoon split this year. Because of the command and chance for two solid-average MLB pitches, he offers a fourth/fifth starter ceiling; if anyone can get him to improve the breaking ball, though, his potential would increase substantially.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #8: July 18, 2022, 01:53:26 PM »
I wonder if Keith Law's write up is leaning on older scouting. He got better depth to his slider this year (you get depth with spin)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #9: July 18, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
I’m guessing the nats think they can develop the slider more

Offline RD

« Reply #10: July 18, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »
I wonder if Keith Law's write up is leaning on older scouting. He got better depth to his slider this year (you get depth with spin)

You never know. It seems like he was regarded a couple rounds lower before the post season, so I don't know when he "figured it out." It's possible he's figured it out long term but it's also possible he just got on a hot streak in the post season and was feeling good. If he has figured out how to throw it consistently, then he's going to move pretty quickly.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #11: August 25, 2022, 11:53:14 PM »
Is there any news on Bennett?  Has he been pitching somewhere or is he injured?  I noticed he's not currently on the roster of the Senators or the Blue Rocks.

Offline Section214

« Reply #12: August 26, 2022, 12:08:36 AM »
Is there any news on Bennett?  Has he been pitching somewhere or is he injured?  I noticed he's not currently on the roster of the Senators or the Blue Rocks.

He was assigned to the FCL, but he did not pitch in any games there. I have not heard anything about injury so he may have just been training and will be assigned to Fredericksburg in the Spring.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #13: August 26, 2022, 11:27:59 PM »
He was assigned to the FCL, but he did not pitch in any games there. I have not heard anything about injury so he may have just been training and will be assigned to Fredericksburg in the Spring.
Thanks!

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #15: September 07, 2022, 12:32:01 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/09/06/jake-bennett-cade-cavalli-oklahoma-nationals/
The article says he's been "shut down for the season after shouldering a heavy workload for the Sooners". (117 innings).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #17: March 04, 2023, 10:13:04 AM »
:az: https://twitter.com/NatsFarm/status/1609661437529440256

Is he in major league (or minor league) camp?  He sure doesn't seem "shut down" anymore based on imref's post.  (For a minute, I got him mixed up with Jake Irvin - 2 lefties from Oklahoma).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: March 04, 2023, 12:38:22 PM »
Is he in major league (or minor league) camp?  He sure doesn't seem "shut down" anymore based on imref's post.  (For a minute, I got him mixed up with Jake Irvin - 2 lefties from Oklahoma).
he's not listed as a non-roster invite on the Nats website, so maybe minor league camp?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #19: March 04, 2023, 01:54:57 PM »
he's not listed as a non-roster invite on the Nats website, so maybe minor league camp?

I liked the Bennett pick when it happened.  Site 92-94 touching higher with a big frame and good control

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #23: April 08, 2023, 01:08:39 PM »
He did look good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: April 13, 2023, 08:27:34 PM »
Not good tonight.