Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Elijah Green, OF  (Read 8698 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Follow the Prospects: Elijah Green, OF
« Reply #75: March 31, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
Where is Green assigned? I can't find him on any roster, although I would expect him at Fredericksburg or Wilmington.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: March 31, 2023, 10:49:09 AM »
Where is Green assigned? I can't find him on any roster, although I would expect him at Fredericksburg or Wilmington.

Rookie league according to MLB pipeline. He only played 12 games there last year so I guess they want to give him a bit more time before he heads to Poto....Fredricksburg.

Offline welch

« Reply #77: March 31, 2023, 12:37:40 PM »
Rookie league according to MLB pipeline. He only played 12 games there last year so I guess they want to give him a bit more time before he heads to Poto....Fredricksburg.

Thanks. I was thinking / hoping Fredericksburg. Green and Wood in the same OF.

Offline welch

« Reply #78: April 07, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
Saw Greene AB at Fred. A big guy and very fast. Standing at 2B, the SS comes up to Greene's shoulders.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope

Offline imref

« Reply #80: April 08, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
:az:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #81: April 08, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
If he can keep the strikeouts under control and get a cup of coffee in A+ it’s a good season.

If he keeps the strikeouts under like 26ish% and keeps flashing the power, speed, and defense then he’s a top 20 prospect in baseball mid season

Offline welch

« Reply #82: April 08, 2023, 12:40:22 PM »
A reason to watch Fredericksburg whenever Corbin starts, or maybe anyone but Gore and Gray. Green is just a big guy who hits hard and runs very fast.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #83: April 08, 2023, 02:40:32 PM »
A reason to watch Fredericksburg whenever Corbin starts, or maybe anyone but Gore and Gray. Green is just a big guy who hits hard and runs very fast.

How freakishly big is he? I want to know how close to Bo Jackson this guy can be.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: April 08, 2023, 03:50:19 PM »

How freakishly big is he? I want to know how close to Bo Jackson this guy can be.
From what I have read 6’3”.  225.  Not sure that is freakish. You may be thinking of Wood who I believe is 6’7”.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #85: April 08, 2023, 04:00:58 PM »
Green looks lean compared to Bo. Bo Jackson was basically a big linebacker who could run like a corner.

Green is a freak athlete for professional baseball. Bo Jackson was a freak athlete, period.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #86: April 08, 2023, 04:12:28 PM »
He's freakish in the Matt Kemp sense. He's a big, extremely powerful kid for his age that is super twitchy and explosive. He's not some ridiculous outlier for his size unless you project him to play center, but again, he's RIDICULOUSLY explosive in terms of his movement skills and bat speed for his age group.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #87: April 08, 2023, 04:14:22 PM »
Green is a freak athlete for professional baseball. Bo Jackson was a freak athlete, period.

This is a great way to put it.

Green would probably be considered a very good athlete even if he played football, but Bo Jack was a once in a lifetime athlete even in that sport.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: April 08, 2023, 04:27:17 PM »
The height and weight estimates for Green all seem all seem to be when he was drafted. So perhaps he is taller now. 

Offline welch

« Reply #89: April 08, 2023, 05:16:42 PM »
Green plays at the same weight as Bo Jackson, but is a couple inches taller. Bo was a power running back, while Green looks like Charley Taylor, the ultimate wide receiver. Charley was 6-3 and played running back between 217 and 220. The ideal was the Green Bay "twin big back" offense.

When Otto Graham switched Charley to wide receiver, which was like the invention of nuclear weapons, Charley "slimmed" down to about 210 - 215. Usually the fastest guy over 100 yards, when paired with Bobby Mitchell and Jerry Smith, catching passes from Sonny Jurgensen, the Redskin passing game would have been unstoppable...except that Otto ("Toot") Graham did not care much for running and the offensive line.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope

Offline welch

« Reply #91: April 09, 2023, 05:32:02 PM »
It is fun to imagine Fredericksburg going up toward the majors in a couple years.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #92: April 10, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »
I shouldn't have said freakishly big. I know Wood is a big physical comp to Judge, who are both just super tall outfielders with plenty of mass. I was likening Green to Jackson in that Bo Jackson was so insanely athletic for his size, that he was doing things that similarly built guys just couldn't do. I like that Green has the "explosiveness" because as an OF, he can do some pretty insane things in the field. That year Kemp should have won the MVP over Cheatin' Ryan Braun is what I hope peak Green could be.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #93: April 10, 2023, 10:27:47 AM »
I shouldn't have said freakishly big. I know Wood is a big physical comp to Judge, who are both just super tall outfielders with plenty of mass. I was likening Green to Jackson in that Bo Jackson was so insanely athletic for his size, that he was doing things that similarly built guys just couldn't do. I like that Green has the "explosiveness" because as an OF, he can do some pretty insane things in the field. That year Kemp should have won the MVP over Cheatin' Ryan Braun is what I hope peak Green could be.

I dont see Green being the same freakish athlete as Bo Jackson. People gotta remember, Bo was a legit HoF player in two sports.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #94: April 10, 2023, 11:46:45 AM »
I dont see Green being the same freakish athlete as Bo Jackson. People gotta remember, Bo was a legit HoF player in two sports.
plus Archery, I think.  Dude is really into it.

Offline welch

« Reply #95: April 10, 2023, 12:44:14 PM »
Wood is comparable to Frank Howard, All-American power forward at Ohio State, drafted by the Philadelphia Warriors, but signed with the Dodgers. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #96: April 10, 2023, 03:11:30 PM »
Wood is comparable to Frank Howard, All-American power forward at Ohio State, drafted by the Philadelphia Warriors, but signed with the Dodgers.

If he is, then hell yeah. 

I don't want to put such unachievable comps on the guy as Frank Howard or Bo Jackson.  The athletic potential and developable baseball skills on him could go so many ways from here, and some of them are absurd, but some of them are also tops-out-in-AAA.

Offline welch

« Reply #97: April 10, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »
If he is, then hell yeah. 

I don't want to put such unachievable comps on the guy as Frank Howard or Bo Jackson.  The athletic potential and developable baseball skills on him could go so many ways from here, and some of them are absurd, but some of them are also tops-out-in-AAA.

It's the size. I said the same when "experts" ridiculed that young kid with the Yankees as too tall to be a ball-player. Here's hoping. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #98: April 10, 2023, 09:25:42 PM »
one of 5 "big hype" minor leaguers highlighted in MLBTR:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/04/big-hype-prospects-adell-jones-lawlar-green-holliday.html

Elijah Green, 19, OF, WSH (A)
13 PA, 2 SB, .500/.548/.583

Green is the sort of prospect fantasy baseball fans love – a legitimate 30/30 threat with room to exceed even those heady aspirations. Over his brief pro career, a span of just 65 plate appearances, he’s made the most of his contact. He’s also susceptible to strikeouts, an issue that has plagued him since he gained prospect fame as a high school junior. Despite more than ample speed to remain in center field, early reports suggest he’ll be better suited to an outfield corner due to poor reads and inefficient routes. Time and effort could salve those concerns. Even if he lands in a corner, his power is more than ample. Now we wait to learn if he makes enough contact. The downside might look something like an outfielder version of Patrick Wisdom.

Offline imref

« Reply #99: April 11, 2023, 10:19:10 AM »
only 2Ks so far.  May his stay in Fredricksburg be short.