Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jake Alu, 3B  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Follow the Prospects: Jake Alu, 3B
« Reply #50: January 20, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
Jake Alu is 25. Prospect rankings seem to go haywire weird about players who go to college, get drafted, and progress normally but not rapidly through the minors.

Who's the better prospect? Jake Alu who hit it hard in Harrisburg and in Rochester, but will be 26 by Easter? Or Brady House who hit it hard for only half a season in Low-A but is 19?

I'd say House is the better prospect, but is the berth so wide that Brady House is a Top 5 prospect in the system and Jake Alu is missing in some Top 30 rankings?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: January 20, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »
we still don't know if House still exists. My contention is that he was a hologram.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: January 20, 2023, 02:42:45 PM »
Jake Alu is 25. Prospect rankings seem to go haywire weird about players who go to college, get drafted, and progress normally but not rapidly through the minors.

Who's the better prospect? Jake Alu who hit it hard in Harrisburg and in Rochester, but will be 26 by Easter? Or Brady House who hit it hard for only half a season in Low-A but is 19?

I'd say House is the better prospect, but is the berth so wide that Brady House is a Top 5 prospect in the system and Jake Alu is missing in some Top 30 rankings?
I think the issue is that no one believes Alu's power surge is legit. He wasnt a slugger in college. He slugged some in Hugh A, but then it dropped off in both his stints in Double A.

Then all of the sudden, he posts a .553 slugging in a 59 game sample at Triple A. Like maybe he found a weight training routine that finally kicked in, but it seems really unlikely that is sustainable.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: January 20, 2023, 03:13:16 PM »
I think the issue is that no one believes Alu's power surge is legit. He wasnt a slugger in college. He slugged some in Hugh A, but then it dropped off in both his stints in Double A.

Then all of the sudden, he posts a .553 slugging in a 59 game sample at Triple A. Like maybe he found a weight training routine that finally kicked in, but it seems really unlikely that is sustainable.
his iso was fine in A+ in 2021, and good in all of 2022, AA  and AAA. Could he have changed from 2019 to 2021&22? Not farfetched, but for it would require us to acknowledge our farm staff might not be incompetent. wOBA of .360+ at A+ and all of 2022