Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10168 times)

Offline UMDNats

James Wood isn't just an A-ball hitter. Guy looks like an absolute beast and is one the fastest rising prospects in baseball. The Padres package of Abrams/Gore/Wood/Hassell+ would be the highest ceiling of what we could get and the most likely package that results in a star. It also could bust, of course, but that is true with any package. I think Abrams is at least an MLB player and Gore, even though he's hurt, looks like at worst a back-end starter.

Wood is also a local kid and would be an immediate Zimm-like FOTF.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
James Wood isn't just an A-ball hitter. Guy looks like an absolute beast and is one the fastest rising prospects in baseball. The Padres package of Abrams/Gore/Wood/Hassell+ would be the highest ceiling of what we could get and the most likely package that results in a star. It also could bust, of course, but that is true with any package. I think Abrams is at least an MLB player and Gore, even though he's hurt, looks like at worst a back-end starter.

Wood is also a local kid and would be an immediate Zimm-like FOTF.
I am under assumption he isn't part of the trade.

He is raking in A and I am a bit higher on him than I am even Hassell due to upside. Add an extra Top 100 prospect to the package of Gore, Hassell, and Abrams, and I am a bit less bothered.

I like CJ Abrams. It's the rest of the package that leaves me underwhelmed. Multiple Top 100 prospects combined with Gore and Abrams and I think it's not a bad package.

Offline UMDNats

I think the only way it gets done is if Wood is included. Rizzo has no incentive to cut the Padres a break. Wood is probably top-100 in the postseason rankings.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
so how often is everyone refreshing Twitter today?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
so how often is everyone refreshing Twitter today?
Not too much.

If a Soto trade goes down, I think it is a final seconds before the deadline type of deal with Rizzo staring down an opposing GM until the final moment.

I do think the final couple hours of the trade deadline will be crazy. Seems like Soto being available has locked the market down. Eventually people have to start moving more players.

Offline stoneghost28

Not too much.

If a Soto trade goes down, I think it is a final seconds before the deadline type of deal with Rizzo staring down an opposing GM until the final moment.

I do think the final couple hours of the trade deadline will be crazy. Seems like Soto being available has locked the market down. Eventually people have to start moving more players.

Kinda confused about why there aren't any Bell rumors? Is everyone trying to get him as a throw in to a Soto prospect haul to better justify draining their farm system? I haven't heard a Bell rumor in weeks.

Offline UMDNats

Kinda confused about why there aren't any Bell rumors? Is everyone trying to get him as a throw in to a Soto prospect haul to better justify draining their farm system? I haven't heard a Bell rumor in weeks.

The rumors are just noise anyways. No one heard anything on Josh Hader until this morning and 2 minutes later he was traded.

Offline Section214

Frankie Montas to the Yankees

Trey Mancini to the Astros -- Have to think that takes them out of the running for Bell, I am sure his price tag was higher.

Online imref

well, there was mention of him going to Houston

Offline hotshot

well, there was mention of him going to Houston
Mancini took care of the Astros need. What other team (s) had an interest? Don't recall any.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Mancini took care of the Astros need. What other team (s) had an interest? Don't recall any.
Red Sox.  They have a huge hole at first if they decide to pick up assets.  Supposedly, they may middle things by dealing JD and Vazquez but also pick up some assets. Mets are supposed to be interested in JD and Vazquez, so conceivably Bell could got there if they found catching help separately.

Offline van lingle mungo

If they pull this trade to Padres and it's CJ Abrams, MRI shoulder Gore, and some A-ball hitters, I will be broken as a baseball fan.

There's no way a trade goes down with San Diego or any other team that involves just a return of a group of prospects in exchange for Soto. The Nats will have to get at least 2 solid major league players with a span of team control left in return along with 2, 3, or even 4-5 prospects. You can't field a team, much less jumpstart a rebuild by shooting craps with prospects.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Anyone else getting the feeling that the front office is too busy dealing with potential packages for Soto?

Offline Section214

Anyone else getting the feeling that the front office is too busy dealing with potential packages for Soto?

I mean, they had to really nail down that Adrianza deal first and foremost. Now we can all exhale and focus on everyone else.

Offline Section214

Orioles get Astros #12 prospect RHP Chayce McDermott and Rays #6 prospect RHP Seth Johnson for Trey Mancini.

That's a solid return for Mancini and has me salivating at the return we're going to get for Bell, theoretically...

Offline UMDNats

Orioles get Astros #12 prospect RHP Chayce McDermott and Rays #6 prospect RHP Seth Johnson for Trey Mancini.

That's a solid return for Mancini and has me salivating at the return we're going to get for Bell, theoretically...

one of the guys may not pitch again until 2024. not exactly amazing

Offline Slateman

Except, the Astros wanted Bell to begin with and Rizzo couldnt get a deal done

Offline Section214

Truth be told, I just saw two guys pretty highly ranked in other farms and got excited about adding guys to our farm. I don't know anything about the two players.

Offline Slateman

Wonder if the Brewers are willing to give up anything they got in the Hader deal

Offline Natsinpwc

Still a good return for a two month rental.

Offline Natsinpwc

I heard the Nats are being offered a large bag of chips for Cruz. But Rizzo is holding out for the Wavy Lays.

Offline Mattionals

I heard the Nats are being offered a large bag of chips for Cruz. But Rizzo is holding out for the Wavy Lays.

Rizzo came down from his initial ask of Kettle Cooked.

Offline Natsinpwc

Rizzo came down from his initial ask of Kettle Cooked.
Yea. That was just too much.

Offline Mattionals

Yea. That was just too much.

When Cruz signed, I bet Rizzo thought he could get those loaded potato skin flavored ones at the deadline.

Online imref

Plantain chips.