Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10159 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I'd think they'd have to cover the $3 million buy out for next year.  Then they could probably find a taker, but not for anything significant. I think there will not be much of a market. no boom in the boomstick.
It was a real gamble paying him that kind of money at his advanced age -- a desperation signing at best, which is emblematic of how this season has devolved.   

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Looks like the Red Sox are gonna be sellers. Muddies the water a bit in terms of tradeable hitters.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
JD for sure. Xander would be the best non-Soto if they moved him.

Offline Slateman

Yep. Between that and Bell's drop in power, my expectations have been tempered.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Yep. Between that and Bell's drop in power, my expectations have been tempered.
I never expected even a single Top 100 prospect for Bell. He'll still fetch a couple or three decent pieces.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Well, JD is owed a few million more than Bell for the next 2 months and his power is off more than Bell, so by performance Bell is a better bat. Xander would be the bigger change in the market.

Offline Slateman

Well, JD is owed a few million more than Bell for the next 2 months and his power is off more than Bell, so by performance Bell is a better bat. Xander would be the bigger change in the market.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07/26/sports/will-red-sox-buy-or-sell-trade-deadline/

Allegedly, the Sox arent trading Xander or Devers. Allegedly.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
we're still technically alive for a playoff spot I think....

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07/26/sports/will-red-sox-buy-or-sell-trade-deadline/

Allegedly, the Sox arent trading Xander or Devers. Allegedly.
read that line in the Boston press.  How they deal with Xander probably affects their Devers negotiations. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
It could be worse. The Guardians have the youngest team in the majors, are sitting at 49-47, and they're thinking of selling a couple good pieces. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/guardians-trade-rumors-shane-bieber-zach-plesac-aaron-civale.html

The last couple seasons have shown we're clearly a step below the Dodgers and Yankees of the world, but at least I don't fear the Nationals trading arbitration eligible players due to salary concerns.

Offline Natsinpwc

It could be worse. The Guardians have the youngest team in the majors, are sitting at 49-47, and they're thinking of selling a couple good pieces. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/guardians-trade-rumors-shane-bieber-zach-plesac-aaron-civale.html

The last couple seasons have shown we're clearly a step below the Dodgers and Yankees of the world, but at least I don't fear the Nationals trading arbitration eligible players due to salary concerns.
:hysterical:

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Isn’t that what we’re doing?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Soto isn't being moved due to arbitration concerns.

Comparable situation would be in the 2010's if they had started flipping guys like Zimmermann, Rendon, and Harper before contracts expired to save on the money. And the Nationals have never waved the white flag with a winning record.

Offline Natsinpwc

I assumed he was being sarcastic.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Soto isn't being moved due to arbitration concerns.

Comparable situation would be in the 2010's if they had started flipping guys like Zimmermann, Rendon, and Harper before contracts expired to save on the money. And the Nationals have never waved the white flag with a winning record.

I mean, we’re moving a guy with 2.5 years left because they don’t want to pay him. It’s the exact same thing. I don’t know man, it just seems like everyone who’s in the tank to trade Soto has an excuse for everything. It’s just weird.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I mean, we’re moving a guy with 2.5 years left because they don’t want to pay him. It’s the exact same thing. I don’t know man, it just seems like everyone who’s in the tank to trade Soto has an excuse for everything. It’s just weird.
The Guardians have the youngest team in the majors and are 49-47. That's a core you add to, especially with the expanded playoff.

I'm supportive of looking to deal Soto this deadline, but even I would think a trade was unacceptable if the team was in a position to make a run this year or in the next couple. I was always against a Harper trade. I wanted to maximize every bit of team control since the Nationals looked to be contenders through his contract.

Offline Natsinpwc

And they moved Turner with 1.5 years left.  We are the Royals. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
no, we are not trading him because we don't want to pay his arbitration money.  We are trading him now because we aren't able to get to a reasonable number on his post-arbitration years. 

Offline Section214

Ken Rosenthal reporting that the Astros are willing to trade SP depth and specifically calls out Jose Urquidy. They have also been linked heavily with Josh Bell.

I know we need to build up the farm with bodies, but I would do a swap with those two in a heartbeat. Urquidy is 27 and has four more years of control, he has a career 3.69 ERA over 278 IP across four seasons. He immediately becomes our best SP and is very controllable, that is more exciting to me than getting a handful of mid-level guys like what the Yankees got for Benentendi.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Ken Rosenthal reporting that the Astros are willing to trade SP depth and specifically calls out Jose Urquidy. They have also been linked heavily with Josh Bell.

I know we need to build up the farm with bodies, but I would do a swap with those two in a heartbeat. Urquidy is 27 and has four more years of control, he has a career 3.69 ERA over 278 IP across four seasons. He immediately becomes our best SP and is very controllable, that is more exciting to me than getting a handful of mid-level guys like what the Yankees got for Benentendi.

Just because the first two sentences may be true doesn't mean they work together.  They'd be insane to trade him for Bell straight-up. 

Offline Section214

Just because the first two sentences may be true doesn't mean they work together.  They'd be insane to trade him for Bell straight-up. 

This may be true, but can I not dream? We'll give them Will Harris back too.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

This may be true, but can I not dream? We'll give them Will Harris back too.

They can even add to their rotation depth, too: Strasburg, Corbin, and Harris for Urquidy!

Offline Slateman

Houston's farm system is really bare, but they have a plethora of MLB ready pitching. Their trade options for Bell would either to give up someone with big upside, or one of theor established starters.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
well there's this:

https://www.mlb.com/news/trades-mlb-playoff-contenders-need-to-make

7) Astros: Time to load up for October

Proposed deal: Acquire 1B Josh Bell from Nationals for RHP José Urquidy, RHP Peter Solomon (Astros’ No. 6 prospect) and OF Wilyer Abreu (No. 29)

The Astros have a great problem on their hands now that Lance McCullers Jr. is on his way back from injury: too much starting pitching. So, letting Urquidy go wouldn’t be all that painful. Same goes for Solomon, who was very good in 14 relief innings for Houston last year, when he made his MLB debut with a 1.29 ERA in six appearances.

Abreu, meanwhile, has been productive at Double-A Corpus Christi. The 23-year-old outfielder has posted an .852 OPS with 13 homers and 22 steals in 84 games this season. He’s shown great plate discipline, with 74 walks to fuel a .402 on-base percentage, demonstrating his promise for the years ahead.

The writer (looks like a stringer on MLB.com) recognizes it is an overpay, but says the Astros are in a position to go for it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

well there's this:

https://www.mlb.com/news/trades-mlb-playoff-contenders-need-to-make

The writer (looks like a stringer on MLB.com) recognizes it is an overpay, but says the Astros are in a position to go for it.

I'd take that with zero hesitation and a bevy of laughter.  For 2 months of Bell + playoffs, that's an insanely good return. 

Even if you think Urquidy isn't right for your window, keep him a year or so and trade him with 2.5 years of team control for more than Bell's worth right now.  The prospect (plus the lottery ticket) are just gravy - honestly, Solomon plus a lottery ticket alone wouldn't be a disaster of a return for Bell.  That's a DC/Baltimore native reliever (ignore that they were starting him in the minors; he's a reliever) who just hit MLB plus some more value.