Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Scherzer had almost half the home run rate (in Arizona) and a FIP almost a run and a half better.
But there are more home runs hit now and more runs scored so that is apples and oranges and at least different types of apples.  Can't directly compare stats to those 20 years ago.  Game has changed. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Imagine what Gray could do if he had a real pitching coach and coaching staff.
Or a real analytics department

Offline Slateman

But there are more home runs hit now and more runs scored so that is apples and oranges and at least different types of apples.  Can't directly compare stats to those 20 years ago.  Game has changed. 

Not twice as many home runs. And DC's park factor is lower this year than Arizona's was in 2009.

Offline Mattionals

Not twice as many home runs. And DC's park factor is lower this year than Arizona's was in 2009.

Read your previous post. Let's all hope a new regime means real analytics.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
go compare Josiah's age 24 season with Max's.

That's happy optimism. Go look up Philomeno Ortega. Nats got the better of that deal, a Washington star pitcher to the Dodgers for Howard, McMullen, Richert, and Ortega. I think Ortega was about 24, as well.

Offline Slateman

Read your previous post. Let's all hope a new regime means real analytics.
New regime wont be here until 2023.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm still kind of fascinated by the idea of taking a bad contract off the hands of a contender near the CBT threshold to free up space for them in exchange for a gift wrap of a prospect or two. I've become convinced by the Soto with Corbin rejection by most on the board that the real direction we should be going towards is taking on money rather than off loading.  Slate's Hosmer theory. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I'm still kind of fascinated by the idea of taking a bad contract off the hands of a contender near the CBT threshold to free up space for them in exchange for a gift wrap of a prospect or two. I've become convinced by the Soto with Corbin rejection by most on the board that the real direction we should be going towards is taking on money rather than off loading.  Slate's Hosmer theory. 
The Strasburg disaster has probably screwed that.

If this front office had salary cap flexibility to take on sin money in return for prospects, they wouldn't have gone into the season with the pitching staff it did.

Offline Mattionals

The Strasburg disaster has probably screwed that.

If this front office had salary cap flexibility to take on sin money in return for prospects, they wouldn't have gone into the season with the pitching staff it did.

I don't care about the current front office. It's gone as soon as a buyer puts a real offer on the table. Let's hope that is sooner rather than later.

I think 2023 should be the year of taking on bad contracts along with a decent prospect in the deal, and then maybe those lousy contracts start to show something and get offloaded by the deadline or deadline 24.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Your August 3rd starting lineup:

1. Lane Thomas (LF)
2. Luis Garcia (SS)
3. Kiebert Ruiz (C)
4. Riley Adams (DH)
5. Joey Meneses (1B)
6. Jake Noll (RF)
7. Ceasar Hernandez (2B)
8. Maikal Franco (3B) (though I suspect he's traded)
9. Victor Robles (CF)

Offline aspenbubba

1. Lane Thomas (LF)
2. Luis Garcia (SS)
3. Kiebert Ruiz (C)
4. Riley Adams (DH)
5. Joey Meneses (1B)
6. Jake Noll (RF)
7. Ceasar Hernandez (2B)
9. Victor Robles (CF)

We still have Andrew Stevenson :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

1. Lane Thomas (LF)
2. Luis Garcia (SS)
3. Kiebert Ruiz (C)
4. Riley Adams (DH)
5. Joey Meneses (1B)
6. Jake Noll (RF)
7. Ceasar Hernandez (2B)
9. Victor Robles (CF)

I would hope we'd have at least one guy we acquire walk into the lineup.  I'd like to emerge from the season with 4+ guys you could credibly play everyday, and a rotation with a rotation that has more arms than Fedde, Corbin, and Gray.  The latter might be internally grown if Cavalli and Henry are up, so position players are the priority, I/M/O. 

FWIW, that line up has 3 guys with positive fWAR - Ruiz (1.1), Robles (0.7), and Garcia (0.1). It's weird to say, but other than June (when he lost playing time), Robles has been sort of what we wanted - great D and a .240 - .250 batting average, .310 OBP, maybe .320 SLG.

Offline DPMOmaha

If Corbin's getting included in a deal, it should be with Bell, not Soto.

Offline Natsinpwc

Good point. Agree. You deal Soto on his own.

Offline hotshot

Who has the better prospects to mull over of the two NY teams? The NY Post called Anthony Volpe their best SS prospect since Jeter.

Mets have who? Baty, the 3B? Alvarez (is he a C or DH in the bigs)?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
For fun, suppose we get a contributor for Bell + Edwards (say a corner player), decide to pencil in Garcia at second, and Robles looks like a #9 batter who gives you great defense and a .320 OBP (like he did this year if you knock out May). No Soto trade, and Ruiz as the primary catcher.  That's basically 5 positions covered, with one superstar, an above average catching situation, maybe an average 2nd baseman and an average 3rd baseman, and a subpar but not disastrous CF.  Glaring hole at SS, 2 corner bats, and probably a DH needed.  Add in a rotation of Gray, Cavall, Henry, Fedde, and a corpse (Corbin eating innings, Stras emerging healed after a visit to Lourdes, whatever).  That sort of team could at least be middling as soon as next year with a few smart signings and deals - a Winker / Suarez deal with a team that flinches at paying $18 million a year for an All Star and a power hitter, plus an Adam Duvall / Mark Canha sort of signing. Do that as a holding pattern while the De la Rosas and other position players mature in the minors for another year or two.

To my eye, that's a lot more appealing than the course we are on, especially since tanking does not really pay in MLB, especially with the draft changes.

Offline Section214

1. Lane Thomas (LF)
2. Luis Garcia (SS)
3. Kiebert Ruiz (C)
4. Riley Adams (DH)
5. Joey Meneses (1B)
6. Jake Noll (RF)
7. Ceasar Hernandez (2B)
9. Victor Robles (CF)

Franco traded, Jake Alu at 3B. Boy that is bleak.

Offline Slateman

We would have to add to move Corbin with Bell

Offline HalfSmokes

Franco traded, Jake Alu at 3B. Boy that is bleak.

That's 2008 bleak

Offline UMDNats

Who has the better prospects to mull over of the two NY teams? The NY Post called Anthony Volpe their best SS prospect since Jeter.

Mets have who? Baty, the 3B? Alvarez (is he a C or DH in the bigs)?

Yankees offer starts with Clarke Schmidt, Volpe, Peraza, Dominguez, Austin Wells, Waldichuck, Lucas Gil, another couple top 30 guys and like JP Sears as a throw-in. That's a package that I'm like, "alright we can keep talking." Because they don't have any real young MLB position players to offer, they have to give up more prospects.

Crazy how much better the Yankees system is than ours. Lightyears better. Did you know you can develop players drafted outside the first round?

Offline HalfSmokes

1. Lane Thomas (LF)
2. Luis Garcia (SS)
3. Kiebert Ruiz (C)
4. Riley Adams (DH)
5. Joey Meneses (1B)
6. Jake Noll (RF)
7. Ceasar Hernandez (2B)
9. Victor Robles (CF)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I've got tickets to 8/2 Mets.  I will not know the lineup.  All I know it is likely that at least one recent HR derby champ will be playing, unless Alonso has the day off.

Offline Section214

Yankees offer starts with Clarke Schmidt, Volpe, Peraza, Dominguez, Austin Wells, Waldichuck, Lucas Gil, another couple top 30 guys and like JP Sears as a throw-in. That's a package that I'm like, "alright we can keep talking." Because they don't have any real young MLB position players to offer, they have to give up more prospects.

Crazy how much better the Yankees system is than ours. Lightyears better. Did you know you can develop players drafted outside the first round?

The other kicker for trading with the yankees instead of the Mets is ya know, we don't have to play Juan Soto 18 times a year for the next 15 years... If the Mets called, I wouldn't pick up the phone.

Offline hotshot

Could not agree more. Volpe, for example, was the 30th pick in the first round of the 2019 draft. Was it Rutledge we picked before him? Yanks are always drafting late and somehow hitting with their picks (Brien Taylor aside).

Offline Slateman

Eh, the Yankees always get their prospects rated highly.

In 2020, their top 5 were Jasson Dominguez, Clarke Schmidt l, Delvi Garcia, Oswald Peraza, and Luis Gil

2018 - Glebber Torres, Estevan Florial, Justus Shefield, Miguel Andujar, Albert Abreu