Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Back on the topic of trade thoughts, perhaps we could get the MAriners interested in Cesar.  They're getting nothing out of Frazier, and Cesar looked pretty good last year in the AL.
Mariners mightvwant Bell

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
See what they'd give for both

Offline UMDNats

Mariners will press to make the playoffs finally. Offer them Cesar, Bell & Rainey and tell them we want a top-100 guy and then two guys from their #11-18.

Speaking of Cesar another Rizzo move that has not worked out at all. The list since 2019 is basically Schwarber and Bell. Almost incredible how low his batting average is on moves since the WS.

Offline Slateman

I agree that the Mariners will push, but I dont think Bell is what they really want. They need a pitcher. I mean, everyone does, but the Mariners are poised to have a window and should use this deadline to go for it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I sometimes log into threads just to see your take. I can't articulate your knowledge of baseball, and I didn't play like you did. Great stuff as always.

Just a dude who was good enough to see the train of failure barreling down the tunnel in my teens; proceeded to fail and attend a lot of minor league games.  (But thanks - glad someone reads my crap!)

Offline Slateman

I know it will never happen, but the prospect of trading Bell, Hernandez, and Carl Edwards to the Padres for Eric Hosmer, Robert Hassell, and Andres Munoz makes me  :metal:

Offline Slateman

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline Slateman

I am sure that writer is the ultimate authority. 
Meh, at this point, who is. But the Astros are getting nothing from first base, the Guardians are offensively inept, the Brewers have struggled offensively since Yelich got hurt in 2019, the Mets have already been shopping for a DH, and the Sox .... well, the only real hole in their lineup is Bobby Dalbec right now.

Offline UMDNats

I know it will never happen, but the prospect of trading Bell, Hernandez, and Carl Edwards to the Padres for Eric Hosmer, Robert Hassell, and Andres Munoz makes me  :metal:

A move like that is way too savvy for someone like Rizzo to make.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Meh, at this point, who is. But the Astros are getting nothing from first base, the Guardians are offensively inept, the Brewers have struggled offensively since Yelich got hurt in 2019, the Mets have already been shopping for a DH, and the Sox .... well, the only real hole in their lineup is Bobby Dalbec right now.
And right field (Red Sox).  We'll see how they play it.

Offline Slateman

A move like that is way too savvy for someone like Rizzo to make.
Ownership would have to approve of taking on the rest of Hosmer's deal. And they arent going to look to add more dead payroll right before a sale.

Offline Mattionals

Ownership would have to approve of taking on the rest of Hosmer's deal. And they arent going to look to add more dead payroll right before a sale.

Only way Hosmer becomes a Nat is if the Padres took Corbin and we swapped bad contracts.

Offline DPMOmaha

Only way Hosmer becomes a Nat is if the Padres took Corbin and we swapped bad contracts.
Unless they're going to cut Hosmer, just keep Corbin in that scenario.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Probably, but I'm not sure that's actually the smart approach. 

Hosmer's contract was awful, but it was very frontloaded and is significantly less bad after this year - the last 3 years are $13m each, and he's owed a little less than $9m for the rest of this year.  Those are too much for what he produces, but $13m in particular isn't so out of bounds as to be unworkable (especially given that the Nats will have a giant hole at 1B anyway).  He's basically on a 3.5 year, ~$48 million contract that expires right when Soto would need a gigantic raise (Corbin also expires then).

If I were in Rizzo's chair, I would be very willing to swap Bell for Hosmer plus Hassell and a couple lottery-ticket or overage arms (i.e., someone with some promise but who needs to go on the 40 this winter). 

Offline Slateman

Rizzo probably would too. Its ownership that would say no

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Tyler Clippard for a fringe Top 100 prospect? Think Capps-Ramos? Do it Rizzo :whip:

Offline Natsinpwc

Tyler Clippard for a fringe Top 100 prospect? Think Capps-Ramos? Do it Rizzo :whip:
Bwahaha.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Which GM has recently started doing shrooms at work?

Capps was 26 and in the middle of a 42-save season in which he'd spent zero seconds in AAA and that was still a pretty awful trade; MLB-ready catchers with 6 years of team control don't exactly grow on trees.  Compared to that Clippard is...um, well, not exactly any of that.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Which GM has recently started doing shrooms at work?

Capps was 26 and in the middle of a 42-save season in which he'd spent zero seconds in AAA and that was still a pretty awful trade; MLB-ready catchers with 6 years of team control don't exactly grow on trees.  Compared to that Clippard is...um, well, not exactly any of that.
Yes, but Clippard also has the veteran grit factor

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
So far, Josiah Gray looks like Phil Ortega, unfortunately.

Offline DPMOmaha

So far, Josiah Gray looks like Phil Ortega, unfortunately.
go compare Josiah's age 24 season with Max's.

Offline Slateman

go compare Josiah's age 24 season with Max's.
Scherzer had almost half the home run rate (in Arizona) and a FIP almost a run and a half better.

Offline DPMOmaha

Scherzer had almost half the home run rate (in Arizona) and a FIP almost a run and a half better.
A lot of the numbers are similar enough that my point is we shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions about how good he's going to be. I've seen a lot of encouraging signs from him so far.

Offline UMDNats

Imagine what Gray could do if he had a real pitching coach and coaching staff.