Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10151 times)

Offline Mattionals

Yes. That's why Franco is probably more valuable to the Nats, now, than to another team.

If you get anything for Franco, trade him. Plug in a JAG at 3B. You don't need to commit to Kieboom. Franco isn't a piece, he is a movable asset.

Online Natsinpwc

If theres no market for Bell, then expanded playoffs is a colossal failure. The whole point was to create more competitiveness in MLB.

Also, if the Nats dont get a significant piece for Bell, the dream of a short term rebuild is over

Look at the NL standings.  Look to be 8 teams for 6 spots.  Then a big drop off to Miami and downward to the dregs.  If we were under the previous rules it would be the same teams for 5 spots.  I suppose you can make the case that getting the top two seeds is especially important to avoid and additional best of three.  Additional playoffs are about postseason TV revenue.  There actually seem to be more teams really tanking this year.  The Mets might be in play for Bell as they have not gotten much offense from 1B. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I literally listed ten teams in the playoff hunt that need a first baseman or a DH

Online Natsinpwc

I literally listed ten teams in the playoff hunt that need a first baseman or a DH
Send that to Rizzo. Wasting your time here.

Offline van lingle mungo

The Mets might be in play for Bell as they have not gotten much offense from 1B.

?....Pete Alonso has 22 homers and is hitting. 280 right now. Maybe you meant DH, where Cano and Smith have struggled.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
?....Pete Alonso has 22 homers and is hitting. 280 right now. Maybe you meant DH, where Cano and Smith have struggled.
Prolly.  You really need about 4 boppers to have a competitive offense. Production out of 1st, DH, and the corner OFs.  A good hitting MI or 3rd baseman makes up for some of that.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Via MLBTR:

From the same Nightengale piece, he relays that the Mets plan on being aggressive at the trade deadline but without giving up their top prospects. Instead, they would prefer to make deals by taking on large contracts from other teams.

Corbin?

Online Natsinpwc

I thought Alonso had mostly been the DH. One or the other. I thought Smith and JD Davis had been splitting time at 1B.

Offline Section214

Via MLBTR:

Corbin?

We'll give the Mets anyone and everyone they want, they just have to also take Stras and Corbin. Deal?

Offline Steve Rogers

I thought Alonso had mostly been the DH. One or the other. I thought Smith and JD Davis had been splitting time at 1B.
Alonso has played first base 90+% of the time. He also leads MLB in RBI's. Smith was just recently recalled from AAA. ZERO need for Bell at 1B.

Offline Five Banners

We'll give the Mets anyone and everyone they want, they just have to also take Stras and Corbin. Deal?

Dont forget Max deferrals

Online Natsinpwc

Alonso has played first base 90+% of the time. He also leads MLB in RBI's. Smith was just recently recalled from AAA. ZERO need for Bell at 1B.
Ok. If they trade for Bell he goes to 1B and Alonso becomes the DH.

Online Slateman

Very much doubt that.

Offline Steve Rogers

Zero chance Alonso becomes strictly a DH.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Nah.  At most Bell would play in the field 2-3 days a week.  Alonso prefers to play 1B, so he'd be out there except to keep him fresh and healthy.  There's not a major gap between their skills out there, so it doesn't matter much except to egos.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The Nats are in an interesting position in that pretty much all their potential trade chips fill two roles: DH and single-inning reliever. 

Bell should be the first one to go: he has the highest value, can actually play in the field, switch-hits, and the contract isn't an issue.  And as a rental, the additional few weeks of control makes a difference to the receiving team.  The sooner he goes, the better the return. 

Cruz will likely be more of a deadline day trade.  A month of that contract is material, especially relative to middling production.  He'll be a AAAA type in return or a low-minors lotto ticket or two.  Either's fine.

Rainey and/or Finnegan could be packaged with either guy to both cover the receiving GM's ass (not a pure rental trade) and increase the return a bit. 

Yadi is an interesting one.  Age sucks, fact that he's really a DH sucks, but on the other hand he's cheap, has team control until the end of his useful career, and he can hit.  If you trade Bell and Cruz, he might stay because trading him in the winter or next season probably doesn't make much difference to the return - which is not much, but not nothing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-every-contender-needs-to-make?

Red Sox: First baseman
It wasn't long ago that the Red Sox were widely considered to be future sellers this summer, but Boston's 20-6 record in June has thrust them into one of the more intriguing buyers. First base has been a black hole for the Sox, whose collective .609 OPS at the position ranks next-to-last in the Majors.
Potential fit: Josh Bell, Nationals
Rays: Power bat
Injuries to Brandon Lowe and Mike Zunino have sapped significant power from Tampa Bay's lineup, leaving the Rays in need of some pop. Nelson Cruz was a great influence in the clubhouse during his brief stint with Tampa Bay last season, so perhaps a return engagement could be in the cards.
Potential fit: Nelson Cruz, Nationals
Twins: Relief pitcher
Minnesota has put itself in position to win the AL Central, but the Twins' bullpen could prove to be susceptible come October. Jhoan Duran has been a revelation, but the Twins need at least one more reliable high-leverage arm.
Potential fit: David Bednar, Pirates
White Sox: Lefty-hitting outfielder
Chicago's .665 OPS against right-handed pitching ranks 26th in the Majors, making the addition of a solid left-handed bat imperative. Adam Engel, A.J. Pollock and Gavin Sheets have been three of the primary culprits, leaving the White Sox in search of a lefty-hitting outfielder to help balance the lineup.
Potential fit: David Peralta, D-back
Mariners: Relief pitcher
Seattle's bullpen has gotten solid contributions from three or four pitchers, but depth remains an issue. The Mariners rank in the middle of the league in terms of bullpen ERA, but they will have to add a reliable arm or two if they hope to end their 21-year postseason drought.
Potential fit: Carl Edwards Jr., Nationals

Also lists the Mets and Marlins as looking for a high leverage reliever and the Phillies being able to use "a versatile outfield power bat," but given how they have slapped around Finnegan and Rainey, I don't count those as options within the division, and Yadi really isn't a power bat, although he field like Castellanos and Schwarber.  F & R, as well as Cishek and Edwards, would not be Bednar-quality, but would be extra depth in the Twins bullpen.  I like Yadi to the ChiSox, in part because there's already a strong Cuban presence who could push for him and have him fit.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Hayman says the Mets are interested in Cruz

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I don't see the Red Sox dealing near mlb pitching given their staff depth issues, but Blaze Jordan is something to think about.

Online Slateman

I don't see the Red Sox dealing near mlb pitching given their staff depth issues, but Blaze Jordan is something to think about.
Lol, that article is stupid. Theyre not giving up Mayer, Casas, Yorke, or Bello for half a season of control of Bell. Luis Castillo or Frankie Montas? Probably.

Blaze Jordan and Brayn Mata or Wikelman Gonzalez

Online Natsinpwc

Lol, that article is stupid. Theyre not giving up Mayer, Casas, Yorke, or Bello for half a season of control of Bell. Luis Castillo or Frankie Montas? Probably.

One third of a season actually unless they deal earlier.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Also, there are teams outside the AL East that might make the playoffs.

Not if you ask ESPN, but there are, honestly.

Online Slateman

The article has other teams. But, if the season ended today, the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Rays would all make the playoffs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

I took a look at 1b and DH fWAR to see what other contenders might be interested in Bell beyond the ones mentioned as looking for bats (that is, beyond TB and Boston mentioned by MLB, and TOR mentioned by Talk Nats). 

Yuli Gurriel has not had a good year, but has turned it around in June and early July.  Given Houston's safe lead, I'd say they aren't looking for a guy who might not even be an upgrade (and certainly not an upgrade at DH). Seattle already pulled the trigger on Carlos Santana to go with Ty France, so I don't see going deeper into hock.  They probably are in a bunch with the 4th AL East team but ahead of the ChiSox and Guardians for the last wild card slot.  My guess is that with Eloy back, the ChiSox will run with Abreu and Vaughn at 1st and DH.  As for the Guardians, I'm not sure they go for it, but Bell would be an upgrade over Franmil Reyes. The Twins have a pretty flexible roster and probably could find a way to play an extra bat if they picked one up.

In the NL, I don't know if we'd trade with the Mets, and that's been worked over in this thread.  Beyond that, I suppose the Phillies, Cards, Giants, and Marlins are the marginal contenders, with the Marlins included mainly based on record to date rather than projections.  Cards probably sink or swim with Pujols at this point and don't look for a DH to go with Goldy.  Giants have Belt back, but maybe should be looking for another bat. 

In sum, I really do think the likeliest landing spot would be with one of the 3 or so non-Yankee AL East contenders, plus maybe the Twins or Giants (or even the Guardians).  This make sense?