Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 10150 times)

Offline Mattionals

So who do you expect gets traded at the deadline? Bell is a lock to be dealt, and as of now, so is Cruz. I think Cesar Hernandez is gone too. Maybe Yadi? Pitching wise, I'm guessing Cishek is a goner.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Re: Roster moves - 2022
« Reply #1: July 02, 2022, 03:16:15 PM »
I think anyone but Soto, Gray and Ruiz could be available.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: July 02, 2022, 03:16:50 PM »
Yep

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: July 02, 2022, 03:34:28 PM »
garcia is probably on that list, too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: July 02, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »
Edwards will get more interest than Cishek, but both will find takers.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #5: July 02, 2022, 04:16:14 PM »

I meant who do you think can actually be dealt. I don't think anyone is taking the likes of Escobar or any of the dumpster fire arms. I did forget about Edwards. I think Thomas is probably a safe bet to stay, as is Tres Barrera.

Offline DPMOmaha

No, probably not Escobar, but franco, Hernandez, bell, Cruz, anybody in the bullpen, and maybe a few others I’m not thinking of could easily all go.

Online Slateman

Edwards will get more interest than Cishek, but both will find takers.
I think Rainey will get offers. And the Nats should do it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh, going around the diamond, I would think there is or could be interest in:

Bell
Cesar
Maybe Franco
Yadiel
Cruz
Cishek (maybe)
Edwards
Rainey as a set up guy with years of control
Possibly Finnegan if a team thinks he's fixable

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Really need Yadiel Hernandez to get hot or the return he’d fetch isn’t worth losing him for next season.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Bell should return someone good, meaning a good prospect. Cruz might tempt a team that thinks he has one more stretch run, but he seems like the sort of old-timer who returns the next Jordy Barly. None of the others mentioned above seem likely to get anyone better than a couple of Fredericksburg or Wilmington bench players. C Hernandez will be a backup 2B for some team, meaning not worth much. Maybe Yadiel, but most teams already have a DH or two or three.

It seems like relief pitching matters more and more in MLB, so maybe the Nats can trade Rainey and Edwards. The others are too shaky for the Nats, so I can't imagine that a really good team will want them.

For us, the team will be hard to watch after Bell is gone. There will be Soto, Ruiz, and nobody.

Of the bad teams I have seen, I'd pick the 1957 Nats over this one. They went 55 - 99.

Online Slateman

Really need Yadiel Hernandez to get hot or the return he’d fetch isn’t worth losing him for next season.
I think he's in the something is better than nothing category. He'll be 35 at the end of the season. I dont know how much you can bank on him producing in the future.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think that Yadiel could bring back something if he has a decent month. I think that he's basically hit well last year and this except for a stretch in late may and early June. He hits lefty and is dirt cheap.  I've said it before, but he strikes me as a guy the Rays may want, especially because they have been using almost exclusively righties as dh. Harold Ramirez now is the guy they use the most, and he's below .700 ops vs. Rhp.

Online Slateman

Or the Guardians

Offline Mattionals

Thank you mods for breaking this out.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Josh Bell is gone. I think Cesar Hernandez is gone. Maikel Franco has slumped last couple weeks, but a couple good weeks and he could be gone.

It is very possible we could roll out some :rofl: IFs in the second half. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Jake Noll or Adrian Sanchez play everyday.

Online Natsinpwc

I think folks are going to be disappointed in the haul. Bell has been great but it’s only a two month rental. Even with the expanded wild card there are not that many teams in the race. The top teams seem loaded at those positions. I guess you hope for soemthing like Lane Thomas.  Or take a flyer on a pitcher.

Online Slateman

I think folks are going to be disappointed in the haul. Bell has been great but it’s only a two month rental. Even with the expanded wild card there are not that many teams in the race. The top teams seem loaded at those positions. I guess you hope for soemthing like Lane Thomas.  Or take a flyer on a pitcher.
Anthony Rizzo garnered a top 100 prospect at last year's deadline and he was having a pretty terrible season.

Houston, Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Minnesota, Milwakee, NY Mets, White Sox, Texas,  and San Diego are all getting jack crap from first base or DH.

If all Rizzo can get is Lane Thomas or a "flyer" for the best available bat at the deadline, he should be fired on the spot.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I would be surprised if Bell fetched even one low Top 100 prospect. But I think he can be worth a couple decent prospects who will be top Top 15 in our system.

Offline Section214

Anthony Rizzo garnered a top 100 prospect at last year's deadline and he was having a pretty terrible season.

Houston, Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Minnesota, Milwakee, NY Mets, White Sox, Texas,  and San Diego are all getting jack crap from first base or DH.

If all Rizzo can get is Lane Thomas or a "flyer" for the best available bat at the deadline, he should be fired on the spot.

I am way more on your side than the "we should hope for a flyer" for Bell. He is the best hitter available at the deadline and should have about a dozen teams interested. I think I would go quantity over quality with all of our guys at the deadline, but I think Bell is going to get a huge haul.

Online Slateman

If theres no market for Bell, then expanded playoffs is a colossal failure. The whole point was to create more competitiveness in MLB.

Also, if the Nats dont get a significant piece for Bell, the dream of a short term rebuild is over

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If theres no market for Bell, then expanded playoffs is a colossal failure. The whole point was to create more competitiveness in MLB.

Also, if the Nats dont get a significant piece for Bell, the dream of a short term rebuild is over
As far as names, I'd think a guy who is relatively blocked in his organization (or who is blocking a really high end prospect) who would walk in and start on this team and play pretty well.  Either that, or a higher end guy who is on a 2024 time track (especially if we go with a college bat this year in the draft).

Offline welch

I expect Bell to get a decent prospect. The others will return a prospect like Lane Thomas at best. Low-quality prospects to help fill out the Low-A and High-A teams, players who eventually fill bench positions at Harrisburg.

Cruz is worn down to nothing.

Cesar H. is a decent 2B, but second is not a primo position.

Franco is more valuable, in the next season or two, to the Nats, since the team only has Kieboom for 3B, and Kieboom is awful.

YadiStar is a DH, but few teams need a DH.

Rainey is a possible reliever, but the rest are bottom-of-the-barrel. Where would Cishek fit into any bullpen, other than another team, like the Reds, as weak as the Nats?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Regarding Franco:

In 2021, after 290 ABs, he was at .221/.265/.376 with 9 HRs and 42 RBI
In 2022, after 289 ABs, he is at .242/.265/.367 with 7 HRs and 34 RBI

The Orioles didn't get any takers for him at last season's deadline, so I am not sure that the Nats could expect much this year.

Offline welch

Regarding Franco:

In 2021, after 290 ABs, he was at .221/.265/.376 with 9 HRs and 42 RBI
In 2022, after 289 ABs, he is at .242/.265/.367 with 7 HRs and 34 RBI

The Orioles didn't get any takers for him at last season's deadline, so I am not sure that the Nats could expect much this year.

Yes. That's why Franco is probably more valuable to the Nats, now, than to another team.