Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 5564 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Soto - no
Bell - yes
Cruz - no
Cesar - no
Yadiel - yes
Edwards - Yes
Finnegan - Yes
Cishek - Yes

I think they hang onto Soto until the off-season and trade him to the Yankees.  Volpe is the target.
Cruz isn't traded basically because the Nats will not eat enough of his contract.  He sticks around as a "veteran presence," maybe is even brought back next year.  Reminds me of the Blondie song, Presence Dear (I am always touched by your presence, dear).
Yadi I think is a low budget bat. Granted, he's probably a 110 wRC+ plus with a favorable platoon, but that can help some teams and he's cheap. I still expect him to end up in a deal with either Tampa Bay or a team with an offshoot of Tampa (Chaim Bloom move to backfill in a platoon at DH/left with Kwan).
Edwards has another year of team control so I can see a team wanting that.
Finnegan has lots of control and a decent enough track record to have some value.
Cishek I think is a guy that somebody will roll the dice on due to track record, although last night was a heck of a reminder that he's not what he was.  A ROOGY, and with a 3 batter minimum, useful, especially if you have an organization who has figured out a quick fix to a flaw.

Maybe an Edwards (or Finnegan) package with Yadi brings you back a bit.  I also see Bell having an reliever wrapped with him to bring back more.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Soto - No
Bell - Yea
Y Hernandez - No
C Hernandez - Yes
Cruz - Yes
Edwards  - Yea
Harvey - Yes
Cishek - Yes
Finnegan - No

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think you may be onto something about Harvey.  He's shown a lot.  It's funny, but after all these years, Rizzo has kind of built a bullpen.  Time to destroy it.

Cesar has had a real down year.  I don't think there's a market.

Offline Section214

Soto - No
Bell - Yes
Y Hernandez - No
C Hernandez - Yes
Cruz - Yes
Edwards  - Yes
Harvey - I hope not. His stuff is electric and I don't think his trade value is that high.
Cishek - Yes
Finnegan - No

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
When are this year’s draftees eligible to be traded?

After World Series

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
We have one Cruz, two Hernandez's, and three bullpen arms waiting to be traded. Come on, Rizzo!

Offline Mattionals

Just wait until Rizzo trades Finnegan for Omar Narvaez!

Or the wonderful puffed corn return for Nelson Cruz!

Offline van lingle mungo

We have one Cruz, two Hernandez's, and three bullpen arms waiting to be traded. Come on, Rizzo!

Not totally out of the question we'll see another move in the final hour, but I doubt it. Maybe Cishek to help out a bullpen somewhere but no movement otherwise IMO.

Offline Mattionals

Padres want to trade Wil Myers. Just offer them Yadi, take on ALL the money, and get Steven Wilson. DO IT RIZZO.

Offline Slateman

So, like, is Rizzo done?

Offline Section214

So we didn't trade any of the bullpen guys?? What on earth? There are actually some decent pieces back there with Edwards, Cishek and Finnegan.. I'm okay with keeping Finnegan because he is still under team control, but why not trade the other guys for something, anything?

Offline Section214

The Giants signed Trevor Rosenthal last week, he hasn't even appeared in a game and the Giants traded him for a good looking OF #19 in the Brewers system.. And we couldn't get a bucket of balls for Cishek or Edwards?

The Yankees traded Joey Gallo for the #15 player in the Dodgers organization, but we couldn't trade Cruz, either Hernandez or Franco? What the heck?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
no lineup yet for tonight, guess Davey is just in his office crying into his coffee?

Offline catocony

He's probably checking traffic in I-95 northbound from Fredericksburg to see if they have to bring guys up to fill out the roster tonight.  The deadline was 5 minutes ago but Rizzo could have dealt some guys at the deadline and it hasn't filtered through yet.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
Dougherty says there were no more trades.

Offline Mattionals

Dougherty says there were no more trades.

Lame. Super lame. Rizzo traded Adrianza , Soto, and Bell. Surely Cesar, Yadi, Edwards, and Finnegan could have brought back something. Hell, Cruz and Cishek could have been unloaded for a bag of balls at least.

Offline Slateman

I guess Rizzo just checked out

Offline Mattionals

Drafting his resignation.

Offline Five Banners

To be doing interviews before the deadline finished was quite something

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Not sure why they didn’t move bullpen pieces. But I guess they all have team control.

Cruz’s value was zero.

Yadiel may be viewed more valuable here than in trade.

Still seems odd and shows how rough this roster is.

Offline Slateman

To be doing interviews before the deadline finished was quite something
Yep.

Offline van lingle mungo

Oh crissakes. It's not like he was going to get someone beating down the door in the last hour who was salivating over the likes of Cishek or Cruz. I'm pretty sure any possibilities regarding anyone left after Bell and Soto were gone were exhausted days ago.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Let's put it this way- as a Red Sox fan, I am surprised Edwards was not a target for them.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

I think he pretty much gave up after the World Series.

Or rather, I think having COVID freak up the title defense season (not that the team was necessarily going to repeat) totally killed whatever passion and drive was left.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

I think he pretty much gave up after the World Series.

Or rather, I think having COVID freak up the title defense season (not that the team was necessarily going to repeat) totally killed whatever passion and drive was left.

I don’t think it has much to do with giving up. I think he’s wanted to pay guys and the Lerners have just made that difficult for him. I really don’t believe he wanted to trade Turner, Bell or Soto. I just don’t see him throwing the Lerners under the bus. He just takes the heat for things he didn’t want to do because of the owners refusal to pay anyone.