Author Topic: Trea Turner  (Read 398 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Trea Turner
« Topic Start: June 26, 2022, 10:31:07 PM »
So I'm watching the Sunday night game between the Dodgers and Braves and they mention rumor has it Trea doesn't like the west coast and is an east coast guy. They speculated he could go to the Braves if Dansby Swanson leaves the Braves via free agency. Last time I checked D.C. is on the east coast. Maybe a new owner would pony up for Trea and some others and we'd be back in business.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Trea Turner
« Reply #1: June 26, 2022, 10:42:30 PM »
Sure. And maybe we'll re-sign Soto to a team friendly deal.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: June 26, 2022, 10:43:53 PM »
0 for 5 tonight with three Ks. Don’t want that bum.

I bet Harper will be lobbying his little buddy hard to join him.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #3: June 26, 2022, 10:53:25 PM »
0 for 5 tonight with three Ks. Don’t want that bum.

I bet Harper will be lobbying his little buddy hard to join him.

I bet you're right but the Phillies payroll I think is the 4th highest in MLB and Turner won't come cheap.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4: June 26, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »
Sure. And maybe we'll re-sign Soto to a team friendly deal.

We all know Soto isn't signing before he becomes a free agent but at least Corbin comes off the books the same year Soto becomes a free agent.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: June 26, 2022, 11:01:23 PM »
I bet you're right but the Phillies payroll I think is the 4th highest in MLB and Turner won't come cheap.
Didi’s contract is up and they have a player option on Jean Segura. Would save about $30 million on those two. But probably would need to make additional moves.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: June 26, 2022, 11:12:40 PM »
Didi’s contract is up and they have a player option on Jean Segura. Would save about $30 million on those two. But probably would need to make additional moves.

They also have $22 million in relievers coming off the books. 

The fact that they're willing to spend $22 million on Hand/Knebel/Familia should tell you that financial prudence might not be their top priority.  As should Middleton's prior statements to that effect.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: June 26, 2022, 11:23:57 PM »
They also have $22 million in relievers coming off the books. 

The fact that they're willing to spend $22 million on Hand/Knebel/Familia should tell you that financial prudence might not be their top priority.  As should Middleton's prior statements to that effect.
They went over the luxury tax this year signing Schwarber and Castellanos. The latter has been a disaster so far. Last season they refused to go over at the trade deadline and that hurt them and pissed off the fans after Middleton’s crazy money statement a couple
Years ago.  Pressure is on the owner to spend to make the playoffs and keep up with Cohen.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #8: June 26, 2022, 11:32:06 PM »
They went over the luxury tax this year signing Schwarber and Castellanos. The latter has been a disaster so far. Last season they refused to go over at the trade deadline and that hurt them and pissed off the fans after Middleton’s crazy money statement a couple
Years ago.  Pressure is on the owner to spend to make the playoffs and keep up with Cohen.

What pressure, though?  They're Philly fans.  They're always raging about something, and it's not like they can force him to sell the team.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: June 27, 2022, 07:32:42 AM »
What pressure, though?  They're Philly fans.  They're always raging about something, and it's not like they can force him to sell the team.
Pressure of reduced attendance. And like all rich guys he has a big ego.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #10: June 27, 2022, 08:43:30 AM »
Harper to Philly
Max to Mets
Trea to Atlanta.

Yup, sounds about right. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #11: June 27, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
Harper to Philly
Max to Mets
Trea to Atlanta.

Yup, sounds about right.

(Hides Miami travel brochures from Juan)

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #12: June 27, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
Remember when they said that Bryce Harper was a west coast guy and would go to the Padres or Dodgers? (They said that about Strasburg too). Or Anthony Rendon was a Houston guy and would go to the Astros as soon as he could?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #13: June 27, 2022, 06:39:51 PM »
Remember when they said that Bryce Harper was a west coast guy and would go to the Padres or Dodgers? (They said that about Strasburg too). Or Anthony Rendon was a Houston guy and would go to the Astros as soon as he could?
Or that Corbin was a New York guy who grew up a Yankees fan?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #14: June 27, 2022, 07:04:51 PM »

So I guess the message is money talks louder than geography. I guess for most people it's been that way since the caveman.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #15: June 27, 2022, 07:07:48 PM »
Money talks and so does winning. I get the NC -> Braves connection but he's from Florida. IDK. The Braves also don't typically hand out contracts that match the Dodgers. If he does hit FA for some reason, would love if he came back. I just don't see the Dodgers letting him touch Free Agency.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: June 27, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »

So I guess the message is money talks louder than geography. I guess for most people it's been that way since the caveman.
Money talks. BS walks.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: June 27, 2022, 10:32:32 PM »
(Hides Miami travel brochures from Juan)
Its okay, they'd trade Soto in three years

Offline GataNats

« Reply #18: June 28, 2022, 03:30:53 AM »
Hes a much better player than Soto.  That was Rizzos worst move

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #19: June 28, 2022, 08:52:46 AM »
Love Trea, but that is incorrect.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #20: June 28, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
Love Trea, but that is incorrect.

certainly right now Turner is the far better player.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #21: June 28, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
He's having a better (half) season, but that doesn't make him a "better player". This is the only year Trea has had a higher value and he's older.

Even this year, Juan's OBP is higher. He will rebound, bunch of doomers around here.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: June 28, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
WAR per Baseball Refernence so far this year. Turner is 2.7 and Soto 2.2. So not much of a difference considering Soto having a bad year and Turner playing a premium defensive position well.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #23: June 28, 2022, 12:29:14 PM »
There was a story Trea was upset when the Nats traded him. Max had to talk to him and show him the bright side. So there's that. It's a long shot but the possibility is there. On the Nats side their number 1, 8 and 11 prospects can all play short. They're lower minors but would the Nats want to give big money to a free agent at 30 on his first year of the contract if they think a prospect will come through.

So I guess I just shot down my original argument.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #24: June 28, 2022, 07:09:09 PM »
There was a story Trea was upset when the Nats traded him. Max had to talk to him and show him the bright side. So there's that. It's a long shot but the possibility is there. On the Nats side their number 1, 8 and 11 prospects can all play short. They're lower minors but would the Nats want to give big money to a free agent at 30 on his first year of the contract if they think a prospect will come through.

So I guess I just shot down my original argument.

Yes, because they're all in the low minors and none of them are guaranteed - and perhaps only Cruz has a decent likelihood - of sticking at SS.  Antuna definitely won't: he's already been converted to an OF and his odds of being a useful major leaguer are well <50%.