Author Topic: Definitely Not a Prospect: Tyler Clippard  (Read 442 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Definitely Not a Prospect: Tyler Clippard
« Topic Start: June 22, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
2 more scoreless innings last night, ERA down to 2.45. So far in June: 8.1 IP, 11Ks, 1BB, 0.00 ERA / 0.60 WHIP

Call him up!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Definitely Not a Prospect: Tyler Clippard
« Reply #1: June 22, 2022, 01:10:15 PM »
At this point, you sort of wonder what is the plan for him.  Maybe he signed to be sort of a bullpen / pitching coach or mentor figure for the guys at AAA, with the idea of getting into coaching at this point in his career.  I had thought he was signed to be a pump and dump guy at the trade deadline, but he's not showing his stuff at the MLB level, which you would want for that strategy.  Maybe he doesn't need to showcase anything because folks know what he can do.  He did not negotiate an opt-out, but I'd guess the Nats would let him go for something nominal if an MLB team asked. Performance-wise, he probably deserves more of a shot at the majors than a lot of guys called up around MLB.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2: June 22, 2022, 05:40:22 PM »
Other than about four of the late-inning guys -- and I have doubts about Finnegan and Cishek -- Clippad is better than all the other clowns the Nats keep cycling from Rochester. Machado has been tried, plenty, and found wanting. Abbott and Garrett?? One is untried and was not much in AAA and the other has failed in the majors as often as Machado.

Bring up Clipp!

Offline welch

« Reply #3: June 22, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »
Here is the pitching stats at Rochester. Look at the guys the Nats have considered worth promoting to the majors.

https://www.milb.com/rochester/stats/pitching?playerPool=ALL&sortState=asc

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: June 22, 2022, 06:13:11 PM »
At this point, you sort of wonder what is the plan for him.  Maybe he signed to be sort of a bullpen / pitching coach or mentor figure for the guys at AAA, with the idea of getting into coaching at this point in his career. 
I'm 97% convinced he wasn't brought to the organization to play in the majors with the understanding that if the team had started out fast and was in contention, he'd get called up for one last ride.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #5: June 23, 2022, 10:05:01 AM »
I expect he'll pitch in the majors after the deadline when everything is sold off. They'll need arms and he has one.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: June 23, 2022, 10:53:45 AM »
I expect he'll pitch in the majors after the deadline when everything is sold off. They'll need arms and he has one.
He has a rubber arm.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: June 23, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
He has a rubber arm.
I'd prefer Bucky Barnes's (the Winter Soldier's) arm.  That thing would be awesome.  Just couldn't use it in the rain because it would rust.

Offline welch

« Reply #8: June 29, 2022, 05:40:34 PM »
Our Clipper points to Sam Clay, Francisco Perez, Jordan Weems, and Reed Garrett as he asks, "What's wrong with a 2.59 ERA?"

Offline welch

« Reply #9: July 04, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
Now 2.51, as Nats fans ask, "What is right with Tanner Rainey and Carl Edwards?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/03/tyler-clippard-rochester-red-wings-nationals/

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: July 04, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »
Now 2.51, as Nats fans ask, "What is right with Tanner Rainey and Carl Edwards?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/03/tyler-clippard-rochester-red-wings-nationals/
Those guys aren't the problem.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #11: July 13, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »
LOCK IT UP :whip: