Author Topic: Harper reflections at the Zimmerman retirement  (Read 1529 times)

Offline van lingle mungo

Um

I think baseball has the problem of a -huge- contingent of aging fans that long for the golden days of yore, vs the modern attention span of a fruit fly (I put myself in that latter category). If they change the game to appeal to younger fans, they'll alienate the guys who have disposable income and enjoy taking their grandkids to games. If they don't change something, kids will continue to use baseball as an excellent cure for insomnia.

Then it's up to the older generation to educate the younger generation about baseball and explain how and why baseball became the national pastime and how turning it into a circus like the Savannah Bananas are doing in order to supposedly make it more entertaining is horsecrap. If left up to me, I wouldn't change a damn thing about it - no replay, no pitch clock, no robot umpire calling balls and strikes, no zombie runner, no pitchcom gadget, no nothing. Leave it the hell alone! Anyone who lacks the patience to appreciate it in its purest form is a low brow idiot IMO. Let those people turn the channel to WWE to get their kicks. Or if they're actually attending a game, they can go troll around the concourse in search of entertainment since most ballparks now are doing double duty as amusement parks and places where dimwits can pay huge amounts of $ to sit behind home plate and stare at their cell phones.