Author Topic: Harper reflections at the Zimmerman retirement  (Read 1532 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Re: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires
« Topic Start: June 20, 2022, 04:58:21 PM »
yah, I should have said I viewed Harper more as a jerk on rival who happened to be good.  Wouldn't boo, not so much my style, but wouldn't object to booing him.  I'm dropping the "jerk" part, even though I still think his 2018 was a selfish season (no effort d, only looking for HR at the expense of AV and OBP, lowering his contribution to a good team) contributing to the lull in the 2016-2019 stretch.  Obviously, his teammates liked him, he respected them, so the jerk in this is me for projecting maybe more than him.

Bryce is going to go down as one the least impactful superstars. He has very little national brand anymore, he's been in the league 10 years with no playoff success (not his fault), rotating door of managers, players seem mostly OK with him but as a "star," he seems to possess 0 leadership instincts and generally seems to be a guy just riding out his career hitting well but doing nothing else of substance. I mean he's not even a Top 5 baseball face anymore. Trout, Ohtani, Judge, maybe even Tatis, Freeman, Max, etc. have more clout than him. All those boomers who told him to chill out from 2012-2016 or so are probably to blame as he's now Bryce the Brand more than anything. Also I'm sure plenty of teammates never liked him, how many guys got choked out in their own dugout? But you're right that many seem to be fine with him.

I don't really hold any ill will to Bryce. What made 2019 funnier was it was immediately after we let Bryce go, and everyone knows that stung him. But other than that I forget he's even a player sometimes.