Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Seth Shuman, RHP  (Read 326 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Follow the Prospects: Seth Shuman, RHP
« Topic Start: June 17, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »
Solidly outside of our top 30 but having success.

Acquired at the TDL from Oakland last year as a depth piece, ERA is up to 3.50 now but still has solid minor league stats. Hits 94 and has command of 4 pitches.

BA had a thorough profile on him recently so I figured I'd start a thread. 

Nationals’ Seth Shuman Succeeds In New Organization

Seth Shuman’s athletic career included a cameo in a packed Southeastern Conference football stadium, so progressing through the minor leagues doesn’t seem all that frenetic.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Shuman, a 24-year-old righthander acquired from the Athletics at last year’s trade deadline as part of the return for Yan Gomes and Josh Harrison, was once a freshman quarterback at Georgia Southern.

He started one game for the Eagles in 2016 and played in three others, including their visit to Mississippi’s Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

Now as one of the most talented arms on the High-A Wilmington pitching staff, Shuman is not nearly as intimidated. He recorded a 2.92 ERA with 25 strikeouts and seven walks through his first 28.2 innings.

“He’s one of those quiet confidence-type guys, where he has a slow heartbeat,” Wilmington pitching coach Mark DiFelice said. “It’s been fun to have him around, learn his style of things and go from there.”

The former major leaguer DiFelice and Shuman both played for the same college baseball coach. Rodney Hennon, who coached DiFelice at Western Carolina, has been the Georgia Southern coach since 2000.

At Valdosta (Ga,) High, Shuman’s baseball coach was his father Bart. Shuman considered the Eagles as his best option to play two sports, and then he elected to stay at Georgia Southern even after the football team went to a more option-heavy offense. In the spring of his freshman year, Shuman decided to concentrate on baseball.

“I almost considered transferring, but I really liked the baseball coach and baseball program at Georgia Southern, and I felt like they gave me the best opportunity to get to the next level,” Shuman said.

The Nationals believe Shuman has the repertoire to climb still more levels. Shuman, Oakland’s sixth-round pick in 2019, throws a 91-95 mph fastball, an above-average slider, a changeup and a curveball.

“Our analytic department is working with him as far as what quadrants of the strike zone profile best with his fastball,” DiFelice said. “We like his slider probably over any of his other secondary pitches, but he does a great job of throwing all of his pitches for strikes.

Offline Section214

Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Shuman
« Reply #1: June 17, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
AH, beat me to it. I was planning to make a thread for him after reading about his last start.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on as he moves through the organization.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: June 17, 2022, 09:58:01 AM »
Nice! Add anything you can! I couldn't find much on him.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: March 22, 2023, 10:21:42 PM »
Shuman has undergone TJ. Out until 2024.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #4: March 28, 2023, 10:02:37 AM »
Shuman has undergone TJ. Out until 2024.
Makes sense.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Seth Shuman, RHP
« Reply #5: April 04, 2024, 01:15:22 PM »
on the 60-day IL