Author Topic: Incredible Story on Fox 45 News Tonight Regarding Orioles  (Read 992 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The only two cities I could see the Orioles moving to, right now, are Portland or Las Vegas.  Not sure if this is still the case or no but LV has a bizarre teevee market so moving a team there (or awarding them a new one) wouldn't be a repeat of the O's and Nats.  Not sure if that would also be true in Portland (likely Mariners teevee territory) but both of those cities have long been rumored to be angling or an MLB and/or NHL franchise.  The O's hanging around in Baltimore while it continues to decline in residents and revenue isn't something a good commissioner should want but Manfred's a bum so who knows. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The only two cities I could see the Orioles moving to, right now, are Portland or Las Vegas.  Not sure if this is still the case or no but LV has a bizarre teevee market so moving a team there (or awarding them a new one) wouldn't be a repeat of the O's and Nats.  Not sure if that would also be true in Portland (likely Mariners teevee territory) but both of those cities have long been rumored to be angling or an MLB and/or NHL franchise.  The O's hanging around in Baltimore while it continues to decline in residents and revenue isn't something a good commissioner should want but Manfred's a bum so who knows. 
Just imagine Camden Yards without the Orioles.  What would go into that  footprint?  M&T will still be there, so there would be a parking lot and a stadium.  That probably dampens the idea of gentrified condos near the water.  IS there enough business for offices?  doubt it.  I can't think of a better use than its current use.  Why was a hotel put into the block north of the OPACY.  Is there something else that makes that area viable?

Offline UMDNats

Just imagine Camden Yards without the Orioles.  What would go into that  footprint?  M&T will still be there, so there would be a parking lot and a stadium.  That probably dampens the idea of gentrified condos near the water.  IS there enough business for offices?  doubt it.  I can't think of a better use than its current use.  Why was a hotel put into the block north of the OPACY.  Is there something else that makes that area viable?

no, but that's not our problem. Baltimore is a crappy city with no future growth in the pipeline and MLB shouldn't house a team there because their old stadium gets a lot of frat bros to come to games before they get hammered at Pickles. The ownership is a mess, publicly fighting and the previous guy in charge was publicly known as a cheap owner who was a douche to boot. The team is fodder for the Yankees and Orioles and the rest of the league. They basically have to bat 1.000 to compete, and even then their window is tiny.

The only competitive window they've had since Cal was during a time when the Yankees dynasty core was old and the team hadn't yet figured out how to draft and develop well. That bug has been fixed, and the Orioles made like one bad move (Chris Davis extension) and it's killed them.

We have two dead SP contracts totaling almost $70 million a year and still have way more upside in the next 3-5 years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
no, but that's not our problem. Baltimore is a crappy city with no future growth in the pipeline and MLB shouldn't house a team there because their old stadium gets a lot of frat bros to come to games before they get hammered at Pickles. The ownership is a mess, publicly fighting and the previous guy in charge was publicly known as a cheap owner who was a douche to boot. The team is fodder for the Yankees and Orioles and the rest of the league. They basically have to bat 1.000 to compete, and even then their window is tiny.

The only competitive window they've had since Cal was during a time when the Yankees dynasty core was old and the team hadn't yet figured out how to draft and develop well. That bug has been fixed, and the Orioles made like one bad move (Chris Davis extension) and it's killed them.

We have two dead SP contracts totaling almost $70 million a year and still have way more upside in the next 3-5 years.
they literally had the  best position prospect and best pitching prospect going into 2022.  They are closer to the 2012 Nats than we are.

Offline UMDNats

they literally had the  best position prospect and best pitching prospect going into 2022.  They are closer to the 2012 Nats than we are.

Their window of contention also requires the NYY, BOS, TOR and TB to all be mediocre or bad. Expanded playoffs help create "contention," but having good prospects means nothing when three other teams in your division have powerhouse development programs and two have unlimited cash. Angelos family going to pay top dollar to get that free agent that puts them over the top? Doubt it.

Adley is older than Juan Soto and Grayson hasn't pitched an MLB game yet. They need to be perfect to compete. Until they do that, I'll toss them in fodder pile. We could turn it around quickly simply because we are willing to spend and will have a new owner by next year who will absolutely want to spend, plus we're in the division that is just a mess most of the time.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
no, but that's not our problem. Baltimore is a crappy city with no future growth in the pipeline and MLB shouldn't house a team there because their old stadium gets a lot of frat bros to come to games before they get hammered at Pickles.

Hilariously specific and accurate :lmao:

I do think if they hit on their major prospects they’ll have a nice little window. AL East pretty hard

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Hilariously specific and accurate :lmao:

I do think if they hit on their major prospects they’ll have a nice little window. AL East pretty hard

When is the last time they had a prospect actually hit though?  Wieters never lived up to the hype.  Dylan Bundy never pitched 200 innings for them in a season when he was there and is likely going to end up being a middle reliever on a decent Twins staff.  Adley Rutschman might be great at some point but he's looking like he was rushed to the Show.  No love for the O's but Grayson Rodriguez could end up being a legit ace for them.  O's and Pirates have had very similar issues on getting the players to live up to the hype but in the Pirates case some of them did end up being legit studs once they left western PA. 

Offline UMDNats

They've got some guys like Austin Hays and Mountcastle and even Mullins but they really need Adley to be a superstar and Rodriguez to be Strasburg 2.0. Adley looks like crap and is giving me more and more reason to hate our eventual Parada selection. Don't draft catchers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
They've got some guys like Austin Hays and Mountcastle and even Mullins but they really need Adley to be a superstar and Rodriguez to be Strasburg 2.0. Adley looks like crap and is giving me more and more reason to hate our eventual Parada selection. Don't draft catchers.
Mancini has had a decent career, and I like Santander, too.  But their starting pitching has been :spaz:  until they leave. Then boom - Jake Arrieta.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
basically, with Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, and Mancini, that's not a bad nucleus for Rutschman to join.  Heck of a lot better than the forgettables around Soto.

Offline van lingle mungo

Baltimore Orioles to Nashville, and the Nats put a minor league team in Baltimore.

This!

It would be too sweet for words.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Rodriguez is hurt for the season, so he's well on his way to being Strasburg

Offline machpost

I spent some time in Baltimore last weekend and was surprised at how cruddy the city has become in just a few years. Garbage everywhere, drug zombies wandering the Inner Harbor, squeegee boys harassing motorists at every major intersection, tons of closed businesses and the general lawlessness of DC times one hundred. Everyone I know who left DC for Baltimore to find a cheaper place to live has either left already or really wants to get out. I used to think that Baltimore would never lose the Orioles, but now I'm not so sure of that. There are prosperous, growing cities elsewhere that would probably be a far better fit these days. I don't see things in Baltimore ever getting better.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Cities turn around when you least expect it, but Baltimore is a hard case. The Ravens still draw great though.

I spent some time in Baltimore last weekend and was surprised at how cruddy the city has become in just a few years. Garbage everywhere, drug zombies wandering the Inner Harbor, squeegee boys harassing motorists at every major intersection, tons of closed businesses and the general lawlessness of DC times one hundred. Everyone I know who left DC for Baltimore to find a cheaper place to live has either left already or really wants to get out. I used to think that Baltimore would never lose the Orioles, but now I'm not so sure of that. There are prosperous, growing cities elsewhere that would probably be a far better fit these days. I don't see things in Baltimore ever getting better.

Offline HalfSmokes

Sports leagues like to be relics of the past. There are teams in every sport in cities that could never hope to attract a team now

Offline UMDNats

Memphis is a good comp for Baltimore. The Grizz are really popular locally like the Orioles are, but it will never grow more than being a small-market team. Baltimore is lucky to have an NFL and MLB franchise, truthfully, as the city would never be able to attract both today.

Offline HalfSmokes

Memphis is a good comp for Baltimore. The Grizz are really popular locally like the Orioles are, but it will never grow more than being a small-market team. Baltimore is lucky to have an NFL and MLB franchise, truthfully, as the city would never be able to attract both today.

Green Bay Buffalo and Cincinnati have NFL teams, Milwaukee has NBA and MLB- none of them would get an expansion team today. Pittsburg is having a resurgence, but I still doubt they get MLB or NFL today- same for Cleveland.