Author Topic: Incredible Story on Fox 45 News Tonight Regarding Orioles  (Read 991 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Fox 45 Baltimore reported tonight that Peter Angelo's sons are battling over the fate of the Orioles. When Peter Angelo's health started failing he left his wife and two sons as trusts of the Orioles. Now one son has filed suit against another son and his mom. Apparently one of the sons wants to have full control of the Orioles and possibly move them to Tennesse where his wife is either from or has a business.

I can't see any way that could happen. The Orioles lease on the stadium does only go through 2023 though. I believe the Maryland Stadium Authority is proposing putting major money into stadium upgrades.

It was just a quick report so I hope I relayed the information accurately.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It’s posted in the MASN thread as well

Offline Senatorswin

"Louis also insinuated that if John maintains control of the Orioles, he could look to move the team out of Baltimore."

"John intends to maintain absolute control over the Orioles—to manage, to sell, or, if he chooses, to move to Tennessee (where he has a home and where his wife's career is headquartered)—without having to answer to anyone," the lawsuit states."

Two quotes in another story about this in Bleacher Report.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The Orioles moving to Nashville would be amazing

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Baltimore Orioles to Nashville, and the Nats put a minor league team in Baltimore.

Offline DPMOmaha

Baltimore Orioles to Nashville, and the Nats put a minor league team in Baltimore.
There will be a stadium sitting empty, so might as well. That's a great ballpark for a High A type of team.

Offline Natsinpwc

We’re too good for Baltimore.

Offline UMDNats

The Orioles moving to Nashville would be amazing

The Angelos family being involved is like one of three ways i am OUT on MLB nashville

Offline Mattionals

The Angelos family being involved is like one of three ways i am OUT on MLB nashville

What are the other two? Jeffrey Loria?

Offline dracnal

Normally, I'd say it's silly to move one AAA team out to make room for another minor league team, but honestly, the Nats suck too much this year to throw shade at Baltimore.

Offline nfotiu

Normally, I'd say it's silly to move one AAA team out to make room for another minor league team, but honestly, the Nats suck too much this year to throw shade at Baltimore.
If we merged the teams, would they be able to field one good team?  Probably not I guess. 

Online HalfSmokes

If we merged the teams, would they be able to field one good team?  Probably not I guess. 

They’d be pretty compatible in the international league

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I'm not sure John Angelos could get the owners' votes to move the Orioles to Nashville.  If he sold the team, almost anyone else probably could, but I get the sense that MLB has just about had it with the ambulance-chasing rodent circus up there and don't want to poison one of their best potential new markets with a shorter, creepier slicked-back hair version of Dan Snyder as the face of the team.

Offline Senatorswin

John Angelos has now come out and said the Orioles will never move, they are in Baltimore for life.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/06/13/john-angelos-orioles-will-never-leave-baltimore/

Offline UMDNats

I'm not sure John Angelos could get the owners' votes to move the Orioles to Nashville.  If he sold the team, almost anyone else probably could, but I get the sense that MLB has just about had it with the ambulance-chasing rodent circus up there and don't want to poison one of their best potential new markets with a shorter, creepier slicked-back hair version of Dan Snyder as the face of the team.

considering how vocal the group here in town is, this is spot on. they want to be the first minority-owned MLB team and would put a lot of pressure on the city (and state) to tell the angelos family to pound sand. they want an expansion team not baltimore trash. moving the sleazebag family here to run a team is exactly how you lose the city immediately and manfred doesn't want that stain.

Offline UMDNats

What are the other two? Jeffrey Loria?

sure, and if they don't build the stadium in downtown nashville but out in the suburbs where it becomes Outback Steakhouse Field.

(also goes without saying, but using any significant public money to build the stadium)

Offline Natsinpwc

sure, and if they don't build the stadium in downtown nashville but out in the suburbs where it becomes Outback Steakhouse Field.

(also goes without saying, but using any significant public money to build the stadium)
I’m sure they will require everyone entering the stadium to be carrying.

Where are the discussed sites for a baseball stadium? 

Offline Count Walewski

FWIW, I talked to the biggest Orioles fan I know and he said the fanbase is behind John and view the Nashville allegations as baseless. They seem to think that John is the smarter brother and Louis is more like his father.

Offline UMDNats

I’m sure they will require everyone entering the stadium to be carrying.

Where are the discussed sites for a baseball stadium? 

There's a pipedream plan to build a stadium downtown next to Nissan Stadium (which is being torn down and replaced next door by a new one), but I'm really not sure. They have a AAA ballpark downtown which is in a perfect location and only 7 years old. Lot of hurdles. The city is changing so rapidly and there are massive developments planned that are just now breaking ground that it's hard to say where they go.

Offline Natsinpwc

There's a pipedream plan to build a stadium downtown next to Nissan Stadium (which is being torn down and replaced next door by a new one), but I'm really not sure. They have a AAA ballpark downtown which is in a perfect location and only 7 years old. Lot of hurdles. The city is changing so rapidly and there are massive developments planned that are just now breaking ground that it's hard to say where they go.
Thanks. Did not realize they were building a new football stadium.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I cant see baseball letting a franchise like Baltimore go to Nashville when they'd rather expand to include more teams.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yeah, but if there's anything the TN legislature likes spending money on, it's stadiums. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
It's a pretty great ballpark for a major league team. I doubt MLB lets him move the team, honestly.

There will be a stadium sitting empty, so might as well. That's a great ballpark for a High A type of team.

Offline UMDNats

Yeah, but if there's anything the TN legislature likes spending money on, it's stadiums. 

The city told the Titans to pound sand basically, but the original agreement had the city on the hook for renovations at a minimum, so they were kinda screwed for some of it. But then state happily obliged to fill in the gap and fund the rest so the team has just a tiny investment. USA baby!