Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6075 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #150: May 07, 2023, 08:48:35 AM »
I honestly have no clue how you've come to this conclusion? He has two seasons being over .500 as a manager with one of them being 82-80. And the talent thing doesn't hold weight either because he had a pretty talented roster here for 3.5 years before they decided to dismantle it. He's not good at all. I really don't understand your defense of him? Just baffles me.
World Series win with one of the worst bullpens in playoff history.

And this team didnt have crap for talent after 2019. Corbin imploded. Sanchez became a 6+ ERA. Strasburg is gone. They replaced Rendon with Eric Thames. This team was Scherzer, Turner, and Soto and filled out with Triple A fodder. He had a month in 2021 where he had a healthy, somewhat talented team. Outside of that, this has been one of the least talented franchises in all of baseball.

Through all that, Martinez has kept the locker room. He's got guys still motivated and playing hard. There isnt going to be a better manager than Martinez in DC. No one is turning Lane Thomas into an all star, or fixing Corbin to regain 2019 form. No one is coming in here under Rizzo and getting a different result. And I doubt anyone is coming in with 2019 and winning a WS.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #151: May 07, 2023, 11:41:56 PM »
8-7 in the last 15. If this is a 70+ win team Davey should get MoY votes.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #152: May 08, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
8-7 in the last 15. If this is a 70+ win team Davey should get MoY votes.

IF, at the end of the year the Nats have found they have two top of the rotation starters in Gore and Gray, and IF Garcia and Abrams prove to be good hitting up the middle infielders, and IF Meneses proves to be a valuable contributor at DH/First Base, and IF Ruiz is the player they expected when they locked him up long term, then no matter how many wins they get, 2023 will be a success.

Then next year it will be all about the prospects in the minors coming through. IF they do, Rizzo has some hardware coming his way.

Long way to go and a lot of IFs.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #153: May 08, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »
IF, at the end of the year the Nats have found they have two top of the rotation starters in Gore and Gray, and IF Garcia and Abrams prove to be good hitting up the middle infielders, and IF Meneses proves to be a valuable contributor at DH/First Base, and IF Ruiz is the player they expected when they locked him up long term, then no matter how many wins they get, 2023 will be a success.

Then next year it will be all about the prospects in the minors coming through. IF they do, Rizzo has some hardware coming his way.

A lot of IFs, but Dave Martinez has done pretty well this year. Better pitching, both in starters and relievers. Much better defense. Most games are close. That is such an improvement over 2022.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #154: May 08, 2023, 01:15:00 PM »

I don't think all of those things have to come true for the season to be considered a success. Honestly just one of them (other than the Meneses one) would be enough in my book. If all of them do come to pass, then the Nats would be the equivalent of last year's O's and should be looking to buy in the offeason.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #155: May 21, 2023, 05:18:47 PM »
Not at the moment

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?