Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6067 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #125: October 04, 2022, 09:09:19 PM »
Not that we'd be raided by other teams but if our coaches decide to start looking I'm sure there are baseball jobs out there.
I wouldn’t worry about any of them leaving.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #126: October 05, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »
Martinez just announced that his full coaching staff is returning for 2023. What I suspect is that the team knows that no one will want to sign on with the Nats while the ownership change is pending. It would not surprise me if some of the coaches pre-emptively jump ship.
It's a major league organization. One of 30. Any role would have a long line of applicants. And there are like three actual impact coaches in every role, so not too plusses either way.

Assistants are hired to be fired in this sport.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #127: October 05, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »
It's a major league organization. One of 30. Any role would have a long line of applicants. And there are like three actual impact coaches in every role, so not too plusses either way.

Assistants are hired to be fired in this sport.

The jobs won't go unfilled but no quality candidate is going to take a position with a team where the ownership is set to change in a few months, particularly in the Nats case where the salary isn't going to blow anyone away.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #128: October 05, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »
What team is  going to hire our turd assistants? We have like the worst coaching team in the league.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #129: October 05, 2022, 12:43:16 PM »
What team is  going to hire our turd assistants? We have like the worst coaching team in the league.

Funny, half of the Nats fans seems to think that our coaches are so terrible that they are unemployable elsewhere, the other half blames the players and says that no other coaches would have produced a better result. Most likely our coaching staff needs to be upgraded but they aren't so bad that they will be looking to get their real estate licences when they get fired from the Nats.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #130: October 05, 2022, 09:15:48 PM »
.453 winning percent as a manager. -252 run differential this season, 43 runs worse than the previous franchise low with the expansion Expos.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #131: October 05, 2022, 09:17:45 PM »
Only World Series title in franchise history (despite having two HoF managers before him).

Above .500 when given a competitive team

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #132: October 06, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
Only World Series title in franchise history (despite having two HoF managers before him).

Above .500 when given a competitive team
well, I'd say that the 2020 team probably should have been competitive, and I think the pre-breakup team of 2021 should have and would have been capable of being above .500 with a stronger start to the year.  No question Schwarber and Bell got off to weak starts. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #133: October 07, 2022, 07:29:34 PM »
well, I'd say that the 2020 team probably should have been competitive, and I think the pre-breakup team of 2021 should have and would have been capable of being above .500 with a stronger start to the year.  No question Schwarber and Bell got off to weak starts. 

With that pitching staff?  Bad Corbin came roaring back, the injuries started for Stras, so it was basically Scherzer and what's left.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #134: October 07, 2022, 08:43:26 PM »
I went to the last Friday game of the season. One would hope the Nats would of been in a spoiler frame of mind. The Phillies stole 6 bases and the Nats didn't even throw down on any of them. Looked like they were going through the motions. Some of that has to fall on Davey.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #135: May 06, 2023, 12:55:21 AM »
Bumping this because it can focus just on Davey Martinez and leave out Manny Acta etc

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #136: May 06, 2023, 01:51:06 AM »
I’ve always been a Davey fan and he has a halo around his head for the WS.  But this is a different team
than 2018 and I would love to see EY Jr as our next manager.  He’s not a super experienced coach but he’s got great energy and a young, developing team needs that. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #137: May 06, 2023, 07:24:39 AM »
Bumping this because it can focus just on Davey Martinez and leave out Manny Acta etc

Obviously I agree with the sentiment, that it's time to part ways, and therefore the more threads on the topic the better. But the timing is interesting. I started the thread comparing Martinez to Riggleman/Acta based on some milestone numbers that were either hit or on the verge of being reached. Not sure why this was bumped after loss in a close game that followed a pretty good couple of weeks.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #138: May 06, 2023, 07:35:49 AM »
Other than his brilliant stretch in October 2019, I think Davey has been a bottom-tier manager his entire tenure.  I just don't see what the point would be to fire him this season.  It's a throwaway season and we have a dead-man-walking, ownership group that has abandoned the organization. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #139: May 06, 2023, 07:44:41 AM »
At this point, he is here until ownership fires Rizzo.

Pretty laughable that Martinez is far and away the best manager this team has ever had, and a whole bunch of folks want to run him out of town.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #140: May 06, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »
Other than his brilliant stretch in October 2019, I think Davey has been a bottom-tier manager his entire tenure.  I just don't see what the point would be to fire him this season.  It's a throwaway season and we have a dead-man-walking, ownership group that has abandoned the organization. 

Such a damn shame that ownership didn't give Rizzo even close to an MLB average budget this season. We're $60-65 million below average last time I checked. Imagine what that money could have done to transform this lineup. We'd still be no where close to a big spending team but we'd be right in the wildcard hunt.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: May 06, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »

Pretty laughable that Martinez is far and away the best manager this team has ever had, and a whole bunch of folks want to run him out of town.
I became a Baker fan. He worked out a lot of the dumb stuff in the Cubs and Reds jobs, and I think he was already the guy Houston got when he was here. Superb at reaching guys. Johnson was good too but burned out

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #142: May 06, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »

Everyone forgets the turnaround. It was a brilliant stretch from May until the end.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #144: May 06, 2023, 01:36:01 PM »
Casey Freakin' Stengal couldn't do better with this roster. Davey makes mistakes but it is off-set by his work with marginal players and rookies. As Stengal once said the difference between the worst manager and best is only ten games.

Online Slateman

« Reply #145: May 06, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
I became a Baker fan. He worked out a lot of the dumb stuff in the Cubs and Reds jobs, and I think he was already the guy Houston got when he was here. Superb at reaching guys. Johnson was good too but burned out
I'd be a Baker fan if Sammy Solis hadnt pitched meaningful innings in a playoff game.

It took the Astros making a Dusty-proof bullpen for Baker to win a WS. If the 2019 Nats had had that pen, they would have won 130 games

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146: May 06, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
I didn't think Dusty was a great single game manager. He's a great season manager. Best guy at both I think is Francona

Offline blue911

« Reply #147: May 06, 2023, 07:10:55 PM »
I didn't think Dusty was a great single game manager. He's a great season manager. Best guy at both I think is Francona

Analytics aren’t tactical they’re strategic.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #148: May 06, 2023, 11:04:19 PM »
Bump

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #149: May 07, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »

I honestly have no clue how you've come to this conclusion? He has two seasons being over .500 as a manager with one of them being 82-80. And the talent thing doesn't hold weight either because he had a pretty talented roster here for 3.5 years before they decided to dismantle it. He's not good at all. I really don't understand your defense of him? Just baffles me.