Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #100: September 08, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
Finnegan is 30 and he did this last season. Davey should have pulled him.
it's his second full season in the bigs and his second opportunity to close.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #101: September 14, 2022, 06:27:36 AM »
Used to be this organization fired managers every other season, now it seems like three straight last place finishes, worst record in team history, and lifeless efforts like last night are acceptable.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #102: September 14, 2022, 07:42:27 AM »
Used to be this organization fired managers every other season, now it seems like three straight last place finishes, worst record in team history, and lifeless efforts like last night are acceptable.
Used to be this organization fielded good teams. Kinda hard to be competitive with the second worst pitching staff in baseball, and WAR leaders with sub 2 WAR being Lane Thomas, Erasimo Ramirez, and Ildemaro Vargas.

Davey is a .540 manager with competitive teams/payroll. And a World Series championship

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #103: September 14, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »
Used to be this organization fielded good teams. Kinda hard to be competitive with the second worst pitching staff in baseball, and WAR leaders with sub 2 WAR being Lane Thomas, Erasimo Ramirez, and Ildemaro Vargas.

Davey is a .540 manager with competitive teams/payroll. And a World Series championship

They were cycling through managers before the team got competitive and after the team got competitive. Lose 100, lose your job, win 95, lose your job. This roster is not a WS contender but for three years they have been known for low energy, sloppy base running and sloppy defense and at some point the manager and his staff should be accountable.

Online Slateman

« Reply #104: September 14, 2022, 01:50:17 PM »
They were cycling through managers before the team got competitive and after the team got competitive. Lose 100, lose your job, win 95, lose your job. This roster is not a WS contender but for three years they have been known for low energy, sloppy base running and sloppy defense and at some point the manager and his staff should be accountable.
Energy seems pretty high, all things considered. The team has been fairly competitive since the deadline.

Nationals arent going to find a better manager any time soon. I disagree with some of his decisions, but a .540 winning percentage and a WS is pretty great for a manager. Had we hired him 2016, this conversation is laughable, coming off multiple WS appearances.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #105: September 14, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »
Energy seems pretty high, all things considered. The team has been fairly competitive since the deadline.

Nationals arent going to find a better manager any time soon. I disagree with some of his decisions, but a .540 winning percentage and a WS is pretty great for a manager. Had we hired him 2016, this conversation is laughable, coming off multiple WS appearances.
Yeah. No reason to let him go now. Hire another manager and you will be firing him in a couple years anyway. Just let Davey go for another couple years and see how he does with a younger team.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #106: September 14, 2022, 09:01:42 PM »
Yeah. No reason to let him go now. Hire another manager and you will be firing him in a couple years anyway. Just let Davey go for another couple years and see how he does with a younger team.

No reason to let him go before the new owners take over but assuming the new owners come in spending money we'd be better off with a fresh start than waiting a couple years to find out we made a mistake

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #107: September 14, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
No reason to let him go before the new owners take over but assuming the new owners come in spending money we'd be better off with a fresh start than waiting a couple years to find out we made a mistake
If they start spending big money that's fair but I just don't see that.  Expect a couple more years of misery.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #108: September 14, 2022, 09:07:34 PM »

Energy is high? Are you kidding me? They were lifeless last night. Fairly competitive? In what world is being in the middle of a losing streak considered fairly competitive? His winning percentage isn't .540, it's .457, that's Jim Riggleman territory. If you are going to cherry pick the range for his winning percentage it's pretty telling that you are selecting less than half of his time here. Did you say multiple WS appearances? That's a moronic jump in logic.

Online Slateman

« Reply #109: September 14, 2022, 10:22:52 PM »
How .... how is Davey a mistake?

Energy is high? Are you kidding me? They were lifeless last night. Fairly competitive? In what world is being in the middle of a losing streak considered fairly competitive? His winning percentage isn't .540, it's .457, that's Jim Riggleman territory. If you are going to cherry pick the range for his winning percentage it's pretty telling that you are selecting less than half of his time here. Did you say multiple WS appearances? That's a moronic jump in logic.
Scored 3 runs. They were just coming off a winning streak.

2020, 2021, and 2022, Rizzo effectively punted. He brought in zero talent and did nothing to remediate obvious flaws. Probably because Rizzo was instructed to not spend in anticipation of a team sale.

Tell me which manager is gonna get more out of a team with an ERA over 5?  With 2 or more guys getting full seasons worth of starts out of Patrick Corbin, Erick Fedde, and Joe Ross. Riggleman had more talent in 2010 and 2011 than Davey has the last season and a half.

Yes, multiple. We had the best team in the NL in 2016 and 2017. Top 5 rotation both seasons. And Dusty Baker trotted out Sammy freaking Solis to pitching meaningful innings in the playoffs. Tell me about all the meaningful postseason innings Davey had Wander Suero and Javey Guerra pitching?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #110: September 15, 2022, 12:12:40 AM »
There was a play tonight where an Oriole player was on first and the batter hit one in the gap in right center. The replay showed the runner on first going around third and toward the plate. The runner watched the third base coach and never looked back at the ball.

Kevin Frandsen said sarcastically you mean a player can watch the third base coach instead of watching the ball. Incredible (may not be exact but close). He was obviously making the point the Nats runners watch the play more than the coach. It's September, that's something that should of been corrected in April if it had to be corrected at all.

Online Slateman

« Reply #111: September 15, 2022, 12:36:50 AM »
There was a play tonight where an Oriole player was on first and the batter hit one in the gap in right center. The replay showed the runner on first going around third and toward the plate. The runner watched the third base coach and never looked back at the ball.

Kevin Frandsen said sarcastically you mean a player can watch the third base coach instead of watching the ball. Incredible (may not be exact but close). He was obviously making the point the Nats runners watch the play more than the coach. It's September, that's something that should of been corrected in April if it had to be corrected at all.
But thats been a thing since forever with this team. We can pullup baserunning gripes from 2014.

And given his track record, I wouldnt pay attention to the third base coach either

Just a taste of all our baserunning prowess:

https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35029.msg1853172#msg1853172

https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33723.msg1735759#msg1735759
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32957.msg1558598#msg1558598
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32418.msg1536909#msg1536909

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #112: September 15, 2022, 01:03:46 AM »
But thats been a thing since forever with this team. We can pullup baserunning gripes from 2014.

And given his track record, I wouldnt pay attention to the third base coach either

Just a taste of all our baserunning prowess:

https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35029.msg1853172#msg1853172

https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33723.msg1735759#msg1735759
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32957.msg1558598#msg1558598
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32418.msg1536909#msg1536909

You wouldn't think this would be an issue at the MLB level but when it is this should be an easy fix for the coaches and manager. That's their job. Because there had been bad base running in the paste doesn't excuse it now.

Online Slateman

« Reply #113: September 15, 2022, 01:19:32 AM »
You wouldn't think this would be an issue at the MLB level but when it is this should be an easy fix for the coaches and manager. That's their job. Because there had been bad base running in the paste doesn't excuse it now.
I just dont think its that easy to fix. If it were, it would be fixed. Pretty sure most fans of most other teams complain about baserunning.

Rays have more base running outs than anyone and are second in caught steals. Baseball has spent alomst 30 years ignoring baserunning in favor of selective power hitting.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #114: September 15, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »

Frandsen has been harping on that all season long. I'm not sure if that is just a Nats problem or a league wide issue, but in any case he's right.

What I've been watching is our historically bad run differential, currently at -211. We aren't just getting beat we're getting crushed. Even in the Acta and Riggleman days we never had a differential below -200. If the season ended today the Nats run differential would be worse than the 1969 expansion Expos who lost 110 games. We have the sixth worst run differential in the sorry history of DC baseball with 19 games left for it to get worse. So we're not just losing we're losing ugly.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #115: September 15, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
Frandsen has been harping on that all season long. I'm not sure if that is just a Nats problem or a league wide issue, but in any case he's right.

What I've been watching is our historically bad run differential, currently at -211. We aren't just getting beat we're getting crushed. Even in the Acta and Riggleman days we never had a differential below -200. If the season ended today the Nats run differential would be worse than the 1969 expansion Expos who lost 110 games. We have the sixth worst run differential in the sorry history of DC baseball with 19 games left for it to get worse. So we're not just losing we're losing ugly.
Terrible starting pitching most of the year and the lack of power on offense are the big culprits.  Last in the NL in home runs. Maybe having Voit and Meneses for a full year might help a bit but they still need a power bat for a corner OF position and also 3B. Vargas is good defensively but don’t see him putting up big numbers over a full season. I hope they can find some bargain free agents. Adam Duvall or Joc Pederson would be nice.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #116: September 15, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
Terrible starting pitching most of the year and the lack of power on offense are the big culprits.  Last in the NL in home runs. Maybe having Voit and Meneses for a full year might help a bit but they still need a power bat for a corner OF position and also 3B. Vargas is good defensively but don’t see him putting up big numbers over a full season. I hope they can find some bargain free agents. Adam Duvall or Joc Pederson would be nice.

Agreed that we fielded a bad team, but even so they under-achieved and played sloppy. Historically bad and worse than Acta are not exactly feathers in the cap for our coaching staff.

Online Slateman

« Reply #117: September 15, 2022, 09:55:21 AM »
No, its Davey's fault that no one hits for power and Erick Fedde is a 5+ ERA starter.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #118: September 15, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »
No, its Davey's fault that no one hits for power and Erick Fedde is a 5+ ERA starter.
Might have won 60 games this year with a great manager!  Davey gets kudos for 2019 and handling a veteran team. Let’s see how he does with some younger talent.  I think he tends to leave the young pitchers in a bit too long and like others I don’t see why Cruz is playing so much. But 2023 is a new season and maybe new owners will spend a bit to help make a run at .500.

Online Slateman

« Reply #119: September 15, 2022, 10:02:24 AM »
Agreed that we fielded a bad team, but even so they under-achieved and played sloppy. Historically bad and worse than Acta are not exactly feathers in the cap for our coaching staff.
Acta had more talent, particularly on offense.

FYI, the 2009 Nationals allowed 874 runs. The only reason that that team doesnt set our club record for run differential is because Zimmerman was an MVP candiate, and Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham combined for 62 home runs.

Give Martinez that offense and his season run differential is less than -100.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #120: October 04, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
Martinez just announced that his full coaching staff is returning for 2023. What I suspect is that the team knows that no one will want to sign on with the Nats while the ownership change is pending. It would not surprise me if some of the coaches pre-emptively jump ship.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #121: October 04, 2022, 04:38:13 PM »
Martinez just announced that his full coaching staff is returning for 2023. What I suspect is that the team knows that no one will want to sign on with the Nats while the ownership change is pending. It would not surprise me if some of the coaches pre-emptively jump ship.
I do not think there is any danger of any team scooping up our coaches given the track record of the past few years.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #122: October 04, 2022, 04:42:03 PM »
I do not think there is any danger of any team scooping up our coaches given the track record of the past few years.

Not that we'd be raided by other teams but if our coaches decide to start looking I'm sure there are baseball jobs out there.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #123: October 04, 2022, 05:12:38 PM »
I mean, maybe. The amount of big league jobs is a pretty small number. Davey seems like someone people like working for, so I don't think you'll see a bunch of movement considering so many of them are just finishing their first year here.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #124: October 04, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »
I mean, maybe. The amount of big league jobs is a pretty small number. Davey seems like someone people like working for, so I don't think you'll see a bunch of movement considering so many of them are just finishing their first year here.

Well that's good to know that we have our coaches locked in.