Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6143 times)

Offline MorseTheHorse

Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #75: July 08, 2022, 08:33:17 PM »
their July record was 8-18, their August 7-20, September record was 10-18. For completeness, October was 0-3. Basically, their tailspin started before the deadline, and they kept roughly the same pace. 

The big outlier before the sale was June.  19-9.  Schwarber, Turner, Bell raked, and easily their best pitching month.

Schwarber doesn't get hurt, and Max doesn't give up a grand slam out west, and last year's team was legitimately in the wild card hunt.  The fall off was massive.  JMO

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: July 08, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »
Schwarber doesn't get hurt, and Max doesn't give up a grand slam out west, and last year's team was legitimately in the wild card hunt.  The fall off was massive.  JMO
I am with you. The other thing was Corbin earned his reputation in July and August. Frightful what he did

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: July 09, 2022, 03:18:27 AM »
I am with you. The other thing was Corbin earned his reputation in July and August. Frightful what he did

Strasburg getting hurt too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78: July 09, 2022, 09:37:04 AM »
Strasburg getting hurt too.
Stras I think was out by May, but that goes with the injuries. The hitting was still ok in July. It was the pitching that blew up.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #79: September 06, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
I've been critical of Davey in the past but somehow he has this group of misfits still caring and playing better. I have to give him his props.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #80: September 06, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »
I've been critical of Davey in the past but somehow he has this group of misfits still caring and playing better. I have to give him his props.
Just a better vibe. It's easy to see. It doesn't excuse the rest of the season, but I feel better going into the offseason.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #81: September 06, 2022, 10:47:00 AM »
Just a better vibe. It's easy to see. It doesn't excuse the rest of the season, but I feel better going into the offseason.
It’s more encouraging also to have young guys to root for.  They might not pan out but at least there is hope.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #82: September 06, 2022, 11:41:19 AM »
Davey is a very good manager. His achilles heel is who he picks for coaches. Though, to be fair, he wanted to keep Long

Online imref

« Reply #83: September 06, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »

Davey is a great manager, my only complaint with him has always been his tendency to leave starters in too long, especially those with a propensity to fall apart in the 6th or so. I've lost track of how many times he's sent a starter back out who is sitting at 85-90 pitches, only to watch him implode.

Online Senatorswin

« Reply #84: September 06, 2022, 01:23:14 PM »
It seems in the last month Davey has been more aggressive at times and not just playing station to station baseball and doing what's expected. I remember about a month ago I was watching a Cubs game and they were doing things like stealing third, squeeze bunts etc. and I mentioned I never see the Nats do the unexpected like that. Since then I've seen things like that under Davey. No stats to back it up just an observation.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #85: September 06, 2022, 01:27:09 PM »
Is it possible the Juan Soto move made things better? Same as Harper moving on eased tension?

I am guessing Soto was a great teammate. But in a lost season, it was either awkward when he was slumping or the contract question inevitably came up when he was doing well.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #86: September 06, 2022, 03:19:21 PM »
Is it possible the Juan Soto move made things better? Same as Harper moving on eased tension?

I am guessing Soto was a great teammate. But in a lost season, it was either awkward when he was slumping or the contract question inevitably came up when he was doing well.
In the short term, possibly. In the long term there is nothing good about moving Soto, nothing.

Online imref

« Reply #87: September 06, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »
In the short term, possibly. In the long term there is nothing good about moving Soto, nothing.

Directly attributable to the trade improvements: Replacing Garcia with Abrams at SS, Meneses

Other reasons for our improvement: Ruiz continued improvement, better SP, Vargas, Thomas, bully

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #88: September 06, 2022, 03:52:13 PM »
I agree with that. They're not better for losing Soto. But may be a reason for a short term bounce which may fade by end of September.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #89: September 06, 2022, 05:40:59 PM »

When he was slumping? He's been slumping all season. For us, and now San Diego (.245 BA, 3 HR and 6 RBI in 27 games). Not good.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #90: September 06, 2022, 06:31:27 PM »
Davey should not be fired. He finally has enough players to make changes during games. His lineups right now make sense, helped by having Cruz on the bench.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline catocony

« Reply #92: September 07, 2022, 01:41:35 PM »
The team seems relaxed and is having fun playing baseball.  That's the big difference.  A year from now we probably won't remember some of the guys on the roster today, but we will remember that they played decent ball for at least a stretch at the end of the season.  They're kind of a fun team right now, with a bunch of AAAA guys playing way above expectations.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93: September 07, 2022, 02:03:47 PM »
The team seems relaxed and is having fun playing baseball.  That's the big difference.  A year from now we probably won't remember some of the guys on the roster today, but we will remember that they played decent ball for at least a stretch at the end of the season.  They're kind of a fun team right now, with a bunch of AAAA guys playing way above expectations.
It'd be a terrific story if one of their 30-31 year olds who were overlooked in the minors, blocked, thought to be nothing special blossoms into even an average major leaguer with the playing time he's getting.  If Meneses has a few Morse-like years, Vargas's glove work at 3rd and decent contact skills makes up for lack of pop, or even Voit shows he can hold down 1st, then that's kind of fun.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: September 07, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
It'd be a terrific story if one of their 30-31 year olds who were overlooked in the minors, blocked, thought to be nothing special blossoms into even an average major leaguer with the playing time he's getting.  If Meneses has a few Morse-like years, Vargas's glove work at 3rd and decent contact skills makes up for lack of pop, or even Voit shows he can hold down 1st, then that's kind of fun.
I would bet more on that being true with Meneses who never had a big league chance.  Vargas has almost a years worth of at bats over the years.  If he could be a .700 OPS guy that would be just fabulous with his defense.  Great bench piece. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: September 07, 2022, 02:21:35 PM »
I would bet more on that being true with Meneses who never had a big league chance.  Vargas has almost a years worth of at bats over the years.  If he could be a .700 OPS guy that would be just fabulous with his defense.  Great bench piece. 
Vargas has enough service time to be arb eligible this off-season.  Long shot that he could start.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: September 07, 2022, 11:06:07 PM »
And then crap like tonight happens

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97: September 08, 2022, 09:26:14 AM »
And then crap like tonight happens
Learning experience for Finnegan.  Closers have to learn to wriggle off the hook.  Since the ASB, he's given up runs in 2 appearances - 8/9 vs. Cubs (2 runs), and last night.  It also probably didn't help that it was his first appearance in 6 days.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: September 08, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
Learning experience for Finnegan.  Closers have to learn to wriggle off the hook.  Since the ASB, he's given up runs in 2 appearances - 8/9 vs. Cubs (2 runs), and last night.  It also probably didn't help that it was his first appearance in 6 days.
Finnegan is 30 and he did this last season. Davey should have pulled him.

Online imref

« Reply #99: September 08, 2022, 10:47:52 AM »

he had a bad night, but otherwise he's been very good for us this year. Davey should have pulled him for Harvey though for that final batter IMHO.