Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #25: June 10, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
I don't see the issue. Strasburg isn't a rookie and isn't emotionally fragile enough (anymore, at least) to rush him out of the game to give him emotional momentum. More innings gives him more time to get back into the swing of things. And Davey often lets his vets go.

From a "winning perspective", who cares? The season W/L is secondary to building the team back up.

Had to look if there was any critical chatter or just people being silly. Looks like Stras is fine.

Mark Zuckerman
@MarkZuckerman
Stephen Strasburg was very encouraged how he felt physically tonight. Felt his mistakes were of execution and in some cases pitch selection. But overall was happy, even smiled talking to us.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: June 10, 2022, 10:27:16 AM »
His last start at AAA was more pitches and more innings than he had going into the 5th last night.  Not a crazy idea to let him come out for one more inning.  It just didn't work results-wise, but he needs the innings and the pitches to build back up. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: June 10, 2022, 11:01:40 AM »
His last start at AAA was more pitches and more innings than he had going into the 5th last night.  Not a crazy idea to let him come out for one more inning.  It just didn't work results-wise, but he needs the innings and the pitches to build back up. 
Pitching in AAA =/= MLB

This is a colossal freakup by management. First off, Strasburg should have been given another rehab start. There was no reason to rush him back and Strasburg's opinion on his readiness is utterly worthless at this point.

Second, there was no reason to send him out for the fifth. There is absolutely justification for babying a 33 year old pitcher coming off of TOS surgery. His previous pitch count in a minor league game lends no influence to a major league start.

Third, when three of the first four batters in the 5th inning rocked his freaking crap, it necessitated a mound visit, if not pulling him. It was blatently obvious he was tired and throwing meatballs. Not one pitch in the fifth was competitive. He may as well have been throwing batting practice.

Sorry, but Strasburg's history, and the fact that he is on the books for 5 years and 200 million bucks, begs the need for him to be babied.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #28: June 10, 2022, 05:42:46 PM »

Yep. At the end of the day, it was 83 pitches and they were monitoring him closely with more data than any of us have. He was babied.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: June 14, 2022, 10:16:36 PM »
After dropping this one only Manny Acta has a worse win/loss differential among Nats managers.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #30: June 14, 2022, 11:23:29 PM »
Win/losses this year are irrelevant and the post deadline record was last year as well.

Medical experts should have been calling the shots for Stras's start.  The game itself and Strasburg's morale were irrelevant.

I have no opinion on Davey as a manager or maybe lots of conflicting opinions.   I think he pulled a lot of the right levers in terms of both in-game and season-long strategies in 2019 and deserves credit for winning the ultimate prize.   I don't understand why his teams have started every season so poorly.   

He seems like a good guy and I think the players like him, so I kind of hope he stays.  But he's probably about the least inconsequential cog at this point in time, and I'm equally fine with him going somewhere with more hope or staying on-board to see how he handles a rebuild with new owners (assuming that is something that actually happens in the next year or two).

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #31: June 15, 2022, 11:32:30 AM »

Medical experts should have been calling the shots for Stras's start.  The game itself and Strasburg's morale were irrelevant.

The behavioural scientist in me can't help but feel that what we witnessed was a type of behaviour called Abilene Paradox (those who want the technicals can look it up, and have an interesting read). In straightforward terms, everyone convinces themselves of a position (in this case, that Stras was ready to go). Because of that, when an issue arises, that is clear to all, everyone waits for evetyone else to make a decision - the consequence is that no-one makes a decision, and all parties end up in a situation that suits none of them; in this case, Stras was taken too deep (with inevitable consequences), Davie M's judgment was made to look questionable, and the Nats lost the game.The thinking would probably go something like this:

Stras - I'm really struggling, but Davie isn't showing any sign of relieving me, so he must think...

DM -   Stras  looks like he's struggling, but he isn't indicating he wants to be relieved, so he must think...

Just a thought...

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #32: June 15, 2022, 11:57:52 AM »
This pathetic season isn't on Davey. You can blame Rizzo for going with the two Sanchez' knowing that Stras and Ross were questionable at best and thinking that Adon ,from one good showing against the Sox, were adequete replacements. Whether he was under orders from Lerner or not to minimize P/R is something we will never know.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: June 15, 2022, 12:14:16 PM »
This pathetic season isn't on Davey. You can blame Rizzo for going with the two Sanchez' knowing that Stras and Ross were questionable at best and thinking that Adon ,from one good showing against the Sox, were adequete replacements. Whether he was under orders from Lerner or not to minimize P/R is something we will never know.
You nailed it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: June 15, 2022, 01:31:28 PM »
You nailed it.
agreed.  And it's not like there weren't logical signings that we were calling for and the columnists were saying would be good fits.  It was obvious there was a big hole in MLB-caliber starting innings.

That said, the bullpen may be working out better than could have been expected.  Both Arano and Carl's Jr. turned out to be good signings.  Even with Doo hurt, that was patched together well.  I suppose Clip is not going to materialize here, but he's not getting a ton of bucks.  All it really took was 2 to work out to go along with Rainey and Finnegan.  The latter two aren't super heroes, but they are MLB caliber.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #35: June 16, 2022, 08:05:57 PM »
 I think it’s time to pull the plug. There’s nothing to lose. They couldn’t possibly play or look any worse. Games are unwatchable. Every team in the division is using the Nats as a doormat.

I’d like to see Lecroy get the interim gig.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #36: June 16, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
We would lose a good manager who is excellent in the postseason

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: June 16, 2022, 08:51:42 PM »
We would lose a good manager who is excellent in the postseason
2022 Nats ask, "what's a postseason?"

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #38: June 16, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »

What am I missing here? Are fans really upset with how this season is going? They dealt all of their talent away for prospects and the owners are trying to sell the team. They weren’t going to spend money and didn’t care if the team won or not. This is exactly what I and most of you should’ve seen coming.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #39: June 16, 2022, 10:15:42 PM »
I think it’s time to pull the plug. There’s nothing to lose. They couldn’t possibly play or look any worse. Games are unwatchable. Every team in the division is using the Nats as a doormat.

I’d like to see Lecroy get the interim gig.

What could LeCroy or any other substitute accomplish in place of Martinez? The answer is nothing. Makes no sense to can him. He has no pitching and he can't expect his lineup to put up 7 or 8 runs a night in order to win games.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #40: June 16, 2022, 11:31:32 PM »
What am I missing here? Are fans really upset with how this season is going?

This board is in about as weird a state as I have ever seen it.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #41: June 17, 2022, 12:25:09 AM »
The point is, do we think Davey is the right guy to lead a rebuild? I don’t think he is. Thus, i’m in favor of a change.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #42: June 17, 2022, 05:48:14 AM »
This board is in about as weird a state as I have ever seen it.

I don't think anyone was under any illusions as to how grim this season would be. There may be some who are surprised by just how woeful the Nats have been, but, what ever the circumstances, everyone is still free to comment, and have their say - this a forum, after all. Anyway, what's losing for if not to have a good, cathartic moan?... ;)  I'm sure if the Nats were WS bound, no-one would be complaining about the inveriable plaudits which would accompany that...

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #43: June 17, 2022, 06:47:33 AM »
What am I missing here? Are fans really upset with how this season is going? They dealt all of their talent away for prospects and the owners are trying to sell the team. They weren’t going to spend money and didn’t care if the team won or not. This is exactly what I and most of you should’ve seen coming.
The reasonable expectation was to field a team that was competitive ( not play-off bound) and fun to watch as the kids developed. Instead they ignored starting pitching and signed aging vets for the infield. The one major signing was Cruz with a plan to flip him at the deadline and until recently that was an exercise in futility. What I find most disturbing is the quality of play , errors in the field, mental lapses and the same excuses being repeated after every blow out. I said it before Robles is just plain stupid and Soto is trying to carry the team as it’s one major asset. I’m a realist and I predicted 58 wins and 1.5 mil fans this season. I may have been overly generous in my win prediction. The team has very few players that are what I would term building blocks. Ruiz , Garcia and possibly Soto ( who is only here until ‘24). There maybe some players in low A but they are years away from the show. This is not a re-boot but starting from scratch. You have players trotting out every nite that expect to lose and the product on the field reflects that. As for last nite Corbin lost it the minute an error was committed by a vet. Don’t we have a sports psychologist on staff to help him? The team is just not watchable as I find myself channel surfing almost every nite.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #44: June 17, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
The point is, do we think Davey is the right guy to lead a rebuild? I don’t think he is. Thus, i’m in favor of a change.
Lead a rebuild? WTF does this even mean? How is a manager right for a rebuild?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: June 17, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
Lead a rebuild? WTF does this even mean? How is a manager right for a rebuild?
I would say easy going and have patience with young guys.  Sounds like Davey. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #46: June 17, 2022, 09:29:53 AM »
I would say easy going and have patience with young guys.  Sounds like Davey. 
Yep....never seen some one so supportive and encouraging to all his players.  I prefer chair throwing at offending players but that is me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: June 17, 2022, 09:36:58 AM »
Yep....never seen some one so supportive and encouraging to all his players.  I prefer chair throwing at offending players but that is me.
I think lots of sports teams go back and forth between the two extremes.  At this point wins and losses are not going to change much so let's just ride it out.  A new ownership group will determine the direction including the GM.  No use hiring a new manager if the GM will be gone soon after. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #48: June 17, 2022, 12:08:38 PM »
I expected the team to be bad this season, not historically bad. They'll be lucky to win 50 games. It's one thing to constantly lose, but to be completely clobbered almost every single night makes it even worse. I'm one of those fans who watched practically every single game religiously in the early years, and even I'm starting to lose interest completely. At least we knew the team was heading in the right direction during those lean years. Now, who knows where they're headed.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #49: June 17, 2022, 12:17:18 PM »
Though morbid curiosity might also be a good reason to follow a team.