Author Topic: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Air Desmond

Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Topic Start: June 08, 2022, 10:33:09 PM »
I know this season wasn’t going to be pretty, but we shouldn’t be 1-7 vs the Marlins. I think it’s time for a new voice to lead this team into the future. It’s one thing to be a bad baseball team, but there seems to be no direction or gameplan. Fundamentals are lacking.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Is Davey’s seat getting warm?
« Reply #1: June 08, 2022, 10:50:45 PM »
No

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: June 09, 2022, 12:01:19 AM »
I could see him calling it quits at the end of the year but if he wants to stay, they’ll pick up his option.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: June 09, 2022, 07:42:31 AM »
No warmer than Rizzo's.

With a pending sale and a option in the contract, its virtually guaranteed that Martinez and Rizzo will be back for 2023

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: June 09, 2022, 07:55:22 AM »
Why try to improve when you’re tanking?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #5: June 09, 2022, 09:28:23 AM »
I could see him calling it quits at the end of the year but if he wants to stay, they’ll pick up his option.
Why would he quit??

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: June 09, 2022, 09:47:14 AM »
Why would he quit??

burnout? not wanting to lose 100 games a year?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #7: June 09, 2022, 10:35:41 AM »

There are 30 manager spots in baseball. Unless your name happens to be Jim Riggleman or you are ancient and decide to retire, nobody is quitting without having something else lined up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: June 09, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
he's never actually been a good manager but hard to see why a manager change needs to be made. the team he was given was dogcrap and he's a nice guy so he can just ride it out

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #9: June 09, 2022, 10:41:30 AM »
The lazy defensive miscommunications and poor baserunning is reminiscent of the Manny Acta Nationals. I get this is a common complaint around baseball. Still, if Martinez didn't have a World Series under his belt, I'd have wanted him fired after the game where we had two runners thrown out at home in the same inning.

Rizzo has risen in my book since last trade deadline when he dealt with reality and burned it all down. The Farm System has gotten incredibly better in less than a year. He owns responsibility for the disrepair it fell into, but improvements have been made. I expect he and Martinez will be back next season, tasked to keep some sort of routine while ownership turns over.

But I am not wed to Martinez as our long term manager. I don't think he is responsible for this mess, but the lazy defensive start to the season with a not young roster was disappointing. Someone has to be responsible. Starting in 2023, he will be living off present performance, not 2019. I like him, enjoy his press conference, and do hope it works, but I also pay too much for tickets to watch sloppy baseball.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #10: June 09, 2022, 11:18:32 AM »
lol you have to drag these lifer guys away kicking and screaming, they don't give a crap about their health or coaching bad teams they want to stay in the game.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #11: June 09, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
Not even a little bit.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #12: June 09, 2022, 02:26:04 PM »
he's never actually been a good manager

lol

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: June 09, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »
lol

he's JAG to me. 2019 was a perfect run and he was great running the show then. other than that, the results speak for themselves. he's fine, not someone I would feel we need to lock in or anything.

i also dont think baseball managers have massive impacts on the team's success so other than being a guy who the players seem to like playing for there's not much a manager can do to wow me.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #14: June 09, 2022, 02:57:04 PM »
I recall a quote from Casey Stengal that said there was only a "10 game difference from the best manager and the worst" . They can't bat, run the bases , hit the cut-off man or stop making errors in the field. That's on the players themselves and the game hasn'r changed from the middle school age thru the MiLB.

I'm guessing that is why we have some many Latin players in baseball as they probably were drilled in the fundamentals more so than the American born players during their formative years.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: June 09, 2022, 03:11:41 PM »
I'm guessing that is why we have some many Latin players in baseball as they probably were drilled in the fundamentals more so than the American born players during their formative years.
DR at least is more street ball than organized ball like little league.  Maybe by the time they get to the academies it is a step up from high school coaching.  There's the old saying "you don't walk off the island" as far as plate discipline goes. As I understand it, if you really like fundamentals being emphasized, it's more Japan than the DR, Cuba, or other Caribbean areas.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #16: June 09, 2022, 03:28:09 PM »
he's JAG to me. 2019 was a perfect run and he was great running the show then. other than that, the results speak for themselves. he's fine, not someone I would feel we need to lock in or anything.

i also dont think baseball managers have massive impacts on the team's success so other than being a guy who the players seem to like playing for there's not much a manager can do to wow me.

I don't disagree really. I do think his success with Maddon and 2019 show that he's really good at what he does. 2019 was a special run.

Does that mean he'll be the right guy through a rebuild? No idea.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #17: June 09, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »
I'm frankly surprised he isn't leaving of his own volition. Why stick around on a rebuilding team when your WS ring and your ties to Maddon can probably get you a job on a contender?

Granted, he was passed over for tons of jobs before landing with the Nats so maybe there are some photos or something we don't know about but GMs do.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #18: June 09, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
I'm frankly surprised he isn't leaving of his own volition. Why stick around on a rebuilding team when your WS ring and your ties to Maddon can probably get you a job on a contender?

Granted, he was passed over for tons of jobs before landing with the Nats so maybe there are some photos or something we don't know about but GMs do.
Are Maddon ties that great any more?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: June 09, 2022, 03:48:22 PM »

Which contending team wants him as a manager?

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #20: June 09, 2022, 09:41:52 PM »
1-8 vs the Marlins. Not saying that’s the end all be all, but it’s an indication of how bad this team is right now.

The franchise is in limbo. If we’re going to embrace a full rebuild, I’m not sure what Davey is still doing here.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #21: June 09, 2022, 09:43:10 PM »
Why would you not want a good manager for a rebuild?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: June 09, 2022, 10:07:04 PM »

What rebuild? The team is for sale, the Lerners DGAF about building anything.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: June 10, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
tbh, aren't the new folks going to want their own people?  It wouldn't surprise me if Davey were gone after the summer.  I'd imagine that if LAA wanted to interview him for a parallel move, we wouldn't object.  Philly, maybe not.

Oh, and I would not be surprised if DiScarcina got an LAA interview. Longtime player for them.

As for canning the braintrust mid-season, I think it's no way.  You only do that if you are trying to turn the season around, which both LAA and Philly are trying to do.  Nats are just playing out the schedule to pump and dump some veterans and see whether there are any internal team-controlled players who can fill major league roster slots.  You don't need Sparky Anderson for that.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #24: June 10, 2022, 09:33:12 AM »
Given that Strasburg didn't ask to keep going, questions are bound to be (or should be) asked after last night's display of man-management...(both in keeping him out-there, and thinking he was ready to go in the first place...)