Author Topic: Joey Meneses - follow at a respectable distance  (Read 1038 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Joey Meneses with 3HRs in the last two days for Rochester.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Joey Meneses with 3HRs in the last two days for Rochester.
I see that name and wonder about whether he's had a bloody mess of a career.

Not a classic prospect at 30, but I could see him getting a bit of a run at 1st if Bell is traded.  He is older than Bell.  The next Yadi?

Offline DPMOmaha

The next Yadi?
That's kinda the comp they had on Grant and Danny's pod the other day. Journeyman who can hit and whenever he gets his chance, he'll produce.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He isn't a prospect worth a thread, but Joey Meneses has my eye. .900+ OPS with 200 ABs.

If Rizzo moves everything that isn't screwed down, Meneses may find himself in contention for some majors times at 1B/DH.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Menses was just talked about on The Callup podcast (run by the guys who do Just Baseball).

I think Menses gets a chance after they move Bell

Offline Natsinpwc

He isn't a prospect worth a thread, but Joey Meneses has my eye. .900+ OPS with 200 ABs.

If Rizzo moves everything that isn't screwed down, Meneses may find himself in contention for some majors times at 1B/DH.
Why not.

I am trying to remember the name of the Triple A OF the Nats had in New Orleans their first couple of years. Hit well there but never got much of a chance in DC or elsewhere.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Why not.

I am trying to remember the name of the Triple A OF the Nats had in New Orleans their first couple of years. Hit well there but never got much of a chance in DC or elsewhere.
Rick Short?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Menses was just talked about on The Callup podcast (run by the guys who do Just Baseball).

I think when his name was brought up before, the hope is that he may be another Yadi type.  A guy who can hit who is also so late in his career that he's considered a non-prospect.  If he hits like an MLB regular vet and is paid rookie money, that saves some ammo for bigger targets.

Offline DPMOmaha

Grant and Danny talked about him recently with the AAA pbp guy, too.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Joey Meneses is hitting .330 with 12 homers and 37 RBIs.

https://www.milb.com/player/joey-meneses-608841

Offline UMDNats

can't wait for bob to hype up a 30-year-old AAA journeyman batting fourth in august

Offline welch

can't wait for bob to hype up a 30-year-old AAA journeyman batting fourth in august

Just the guy for 1B after the the flippage.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
2-3. 2BB, HR #13 last night,

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
The next Morse?

And I’m all honesty, we should go ahead and just trade bell now.  He’s performing and that’s an extra month+ for the acquiring team.  Could make a team a little more willing to give up a guy they’d rather not for a rental

Offline UMDNats

The next Morse?

And I’m all honesty, we should go ahead and just trade bell now.  He’s performing and that’s an extra month+ for the acquiring team.  Could make a team a little more willing to give up a guy they’d rather not for a rental

this guy is 30 and has never appeared in an MLB game; michael morse made his debut at 23 and was up and down for 5 years until breaking out with us at age 28, which is also still younger than this guy that apparently people think is worth penciling into the lineup

Offline welch

Why not.

Kory Casto? Wasn't he the star at New Orleans?

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
this guy is 30 and has never appeared in an MLB game; michael morse made his debut at 23 and was up and down for 5 years until breaking out with us at age 28, which is also still younger than this guy that apparently people think is worth penciling into the lineup
I don't think he is "worth" penciling in a lineup. I just think we may see him after trading everything that can be moved.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
He's worth penciling in the lineup every day after we trade Bell

Offline Natsinpwc

Kory Casto? Wasn't he the star at New Orleans?
I think it was actually Rick Short as someone else noted. Kory Casto came a bit later and don’t think he played at NO. But a similar player. I looked up Short and he played in Japan both before and after being with the Nats organization. Had a long run there.

Offline Natsinpwc

He's worth penciling in the lineup every day after we trade Bell
They don’t seem to have other options if they trade Bell. Maybe Franco some games if he stays. Of course he is not a long term solution. So go with Meneses. Might find a diamond in the rough. Here are his MILB and other stats. Have we had a player from Mexico before?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=menese000joe

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Eh, old guy finally hitting is always a fun story. It'd be great if he could hit in the majors to actually turn into a "find," but I don't think you hold your breath for it to happen. 

Looks like he crushed it in 2018 at AAA for the Iron Pigs, but somehow Philly didn't have space for him (Hoskins, no DH, ...).  Spent the next couple of years in Mexico, Boston brought him in for a run in AA where he crushed it again but then was meh at AAA for the WooSox. To my eye, his performance isn't too far out of line with his upper minors track record.  That is sort of the Yadi angle too.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Another home run last night. He is hot.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
The Red Wings have turned to trash, but Meneses last night hit HR #20. OPS of .840. Not his best ever AAA performance, but not bad.

If Soto goes, I bet they move Cruz for pennies or cut him. there will be a lot of bats available at 1B/LF/DH. I wouldn't mind giving him some burn in the majors. See if he is another Yadiel Hernandez who can give you respectable ABs in a limited role.

Offline welch

Hitting .291 with his 20 homers. Likely plays 1B after the Nats trade Bell. And here's hoping they can trade him.