Author Topic: Luxury tax - pick your timing  (Read 322 times)

Offline CowherPower

Luxury tax - pick your timing
« Topic Start: June 04, 2022, 01:42:59 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, maybe the Nats have picked a good time for a rebuild (sorry Mike, I meant to say a "reboot").  The Dodgers are in line to pay a $47 million luxury tax this year and the Mets and Phillies are #2 and #4 in payroll this year.  That's just not sustainable.  So maybe it's not a bad idea to let them blow their wad trying to buy a World Series while we rebuild/reboot and we'll come back strong when they are recovering.  I'd almost be fine with "the plan" if the Nats didn't jack my tickets up 20% this year (#StillBitter)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34033460/los-angeles-dodgers-open-310-million-payroll-set-pay-record-47-million-tax-bill

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Luxury tax - pick your timing
« Reply #1: June 04, 2022, 07:20:15 AM »
The dodgers are definitely sustainable with their ridiculous tv contract

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: June 04, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »
Pretty irrelevant for both teams. If you want to beat them, you'll have to develop well and have a good sized payroll.

Honestly though, in one or two years, I think the Mets will be pretty vulnerable. deGrom is never healthy and Scherzer wont be either. They dont have pitching prospects at this point.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: June 04, 2022, 09:56:37 AM »
The dodgers are definitely sustainable with their ridiculous tv contract
And the way they draft. I looked at the 2016 draft.  They got Lux late in the first round and Wil Smith with a supplemental pick after round one.  Meanwhile the Nats got Kieboom.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: June 04, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »
Cohen is not in it to make money with baseball. No reason to think he will stop paying the luxury tax. He can just write off any baseball losses.